Large increase in migrant workers.

a lot of the fruit in hereford and worcester is picked by migrants. a year or so ago a van full of them was hit by a train

How do they avoid paying tax?

When I worked for HMRC some years ago, one of the early adopters of Eastern European labour was a local company whose idea of PAYE was put everyone on Basic Rate or Emergency tax codes and keep them there.
The employees didn't know any better, in those days they would come and do a summer's work in the UK and go back home.
The UK actually got more tax out of those people than it should have!

My sons Polish girlfriend aged 24 on minimum wage earns just under £200 a week in a packing job, she gets most of her rent paid & full council tax benefit of £22 per week, her rent is £80 per week of which she pays £30.44p

So lovely girl that she is she gets £72 per week in benefits but pays minimal tax & insurance

Ok, so when you said they avoid paying tax, what you meant is that they're paying over £500 a year, and over £300 in NI?

Last edited:
Ok, so when you said they avoid paying tax, what you meant is that they're paying over £500 a year, and over £300 in NI?

Whilst collecting £3744 in benefits,

take away estimated. £900 per year she pays in to the system leaving £2800+ she takes out plus the added benefits of health treatments & schooling if she had a child. It simply validates my initial post

& there are hundreds of thousands of people inc those from out of the EU doing exactly the same

Thy R takin al aour jobz!

Assuming that you are being tongue in cheek.....

but on a serious note would a native born of England be prepared to clean the toilets or pick fruit or sweep the streets for minimum wage against say an Eastern European who would because they appreciate what hardship really was and welcome the opportunity to work ?

I have no idea to be honest.

What I do have an idea of though is the number of people who turn up to interviews for positions I have thinking its their right to be given a job and then think they are worth a lot more that they really are. The cases of rose tinted glasses are very high amongst UK applicants.

This country seems to have instilled a very perverse notion of entitlement without responsibility into its citizens.

Whilst collecting £3744 in benefits,

take away estimated. £900 per year she pays in to the system leaving £2800+ she takes out plus the added benefits of health treatments & schooling if she had a child. It simply validates my initial post

& there are hundreds of thousands of people inc those from out of the EU doing exactly the same

Ok - but surely that would be the same if she was British?

Ok - but surely that would be the same if she was British?

I think what he is driving at is that if it was a native the problem would be less pronounced as it would be one person getting the benefits rather than whats happening now in that the native gets all benefits for having no job and the imigrant with the job still gets benefits because they are on min wage.

Therefore if the immigrant was not here and the britton was working it would be one less hand out ?

Apologies for paraphrasing the OP in case I got it wrong

That was my point, more immigrants are being taken on because they can get away with minimum wage rather than natives being lazy.

Tired excuse from the natives and in MOST cases, not true at all. I employ agency staff, I specifically asked for certain people back because they represent value. 90% of them are foreigners. Probably closer to 95% really. I make sure we pay them more than the going rate (which is now nearing 3 x national minimum /hour) which everyone is on, local or foreign, it makes zero difference to us where you're from. All we care about is that the job gets done and done on time. I expect it's the same at most places.

Saying that, all our managers and senior supervisors are British and we keep it that way too. Reason being is that once you promote one of the foreign guys (Eastern Euros usually) to a supervisory position, they can't seem to handle the responsibility and instantly start treating others like crap because they're now 'the boss'. Brits are more mild. Theirs seem to be a very hierarchical culture so everyone (E. Euros) is kept at the same level.

Last edited:
I think what he is driving at is that if it was a native the problem would be less pronounced as it would be one person getting the benefits rather than whats happening now in that the native gets all benefits for having no job and the imigrant with the job still gets benefits because they are on min wage.

Therefore if the immigrant was not here and the britton was working it would be one less hand out ?

Apologies for paraphrasing the OP in case I got it wrong

But would a native on min wage not get the same benefits as an immigrant on min wage?

^ so as long as they dont take your jobs your happy.

If you're competing for jobs down the chicken factory or strawberry picking, then yes, your job might be taken. If you have a tiny tiny tiny modicum of ambition, you'll NEVER have to compete with the largest majority of immigrants for anything.

how do you think?? he basically said most if not all of us are lazy, hence foreigners take the jobs - because apparently we wont do them, so that is a stereotypical answer.

Yes I understand that. My point was, why do you think the stereotype has developed to be lazy British workers?

The current government's solution to this skills gap seems to be tripling the price of higher education and slashing the number of Masters and PhD places. :(

Good, that was half the problem, we need less people with degrees in media studies and more people who can do plumbing, gas/electrical work, etc. Then maybe we won't have to employ so many immigrants, this country has a shortage of skilled workers, sending more kids to uni to party will not fix that.

Back
Top Bottom