Last of the V8s

Soldato
I’ve always loved V8s. My earliest memories of these magnificent engines was the Rover 3500 SD1 my Dad had when I was around 5 years old. Every drive an event, even from the back seat. This was a defining moment in what became my love for cars and in particular the V8.

My first V8 was an E39 M5, a glorious car totally defined by its 5 litre engine... I wish I had never sold it. Next came a warm V8 Audi S5 4.2, followed by a ballistic 5.0 Lexus ISF. Again, something special (in my eyes) that I’d have liked to have kept tucked away, in storage I do not have.

I’ve had many cars in between the V8s, nice in their own ways but I always missed the enjoyment, sound and feeling only large capacity V8s can provide. That brings us to my last V8? Probably. In the new age of electric cars it seems I’ve gone against the grain, one last hurrah perhaps. However, judging by some of the recent movement in the Motors forum lately, I don’t think I am alone :D

So whether you own one currently, are about to pick one up, had one in the past or even just like them, share the V8 love!

Soldato
OP
Some great looking V8s!

If i'm honest, coming from an M3 it was somewhat underwhelming but that might have been the under geared manual box.

Indeed, I’ve made similar mistakes in the past. You need to move from an M car to an RS Audi to avoid disappointment.

Your new cars looks to be in fantastic condition. Get used to being on first name terms with your local petrol station :D

While petrol is still ‘reasonably’ priced atm, now is the time to get those V8s guys.

Soldato
OP
Heh, I’ve seen you going about town up at Rubislaw I think?

My next car is going to be a V8 I think if the finances ever sort themselves out.

If driving courteously and within the speed limit, then yes probably ;)

The RS6 is generally heard before it’s seen, so I have to be careful...

V8 WTF would definitely work better for me, shame you sold it TomO.

Soldato
OP
cant beat a V8 noise

my dad has a 5L V8 TVR, sounds glorious

My 6.0 V8 Monaro certainly sounds great.

I heard a 3.5 V8 Range Rover Classic in work, the V8 burbling away and the carburettor sound when revved was fantastic.

I really wish mine sounded like these. Sadly modern V8s lose much of the raw sound that makes V8s well, V8s. I think it’s the turbos on mine that are ruining the sound, despite a sports exhaust.

I’ve just realised that I have another V8, one that’s been sitting for years in my Dad’s workshop. It’s a Rover 3.5 litre that was supposed to go into my Scimitar restoration project. No danger of that happening anytime soon sadly.

Soldato
OP
The ISF was my daily driver and it was faultless reliability wise. Generally they are bombproof, which is pretty good considering many are now 10+ years old. Mine was a late 2013 model.

I don’t even think they have any weak points, but MrFunex can confirm.

Soldato
OP
It is also a heavy car, knocking on 1700kg, but there's more than enough power to overwhelm the rear tyres especially with the standard Pirellis! Quite a bit more power available ala R or SVR I believe, but not something I'm particularly interested in :o

With Michelin PS4S they're not as wayward as you might think. Huge grip in the dry and plenty in the wet. You have to try pretty hard to provoke it. Even then dynamic mode allows you a nice amount of slip before intervening.

That’s good to know, plus I had no idea the rwd version was so heavy. I think I’ve missed to boat on these now sadly, the new one just doesn’t look as good

Back
Top Bottom