Leakage and Piping question

Associate
Had my rig from Overclockers for about 5 years and has worked perfectly but just recently I have had to start topping up the reservoir more often that normal.Opening up the case and there is a kink in one of the pipes.I'll be honest I can't remember if it was like this before but there is sometimes a little bit of fluid on the bottom of the case,not much but there none the less.

Any ideas ?? Could the kink be causing the problem or is the fluid loss just general wear and tear

https://imgur.com/a/8QoEgOO

txJVThy

ch31wmM

Associate
Think it may be time to replace the tubing, a kink like that will restrict your flow and probably is causing your leak from out of a fitting. You could loosen the compression fittings one at a time and push the tubes back on tight to make sure none of them have slipped out of place, but tbh after 5 years, I would replace the tubing anyway.
Fluid loss does happen, but it should never leak out of the loop onto the floor of your case.

Associate
That kink is definitely enough to cause your problems. 5 years is about time to replace your tubing, and the fluid for that matter too! Assuming you haven't done that either...

Maybe while you're at it take a look at your blocks and check they're not gunked up, then re-paste your components for good measure :p

Associate
I imagine some of the watercooling crowd are squirming at the idea of a 5 year old unmaintained loop :p
But as SirConfused suggested, it's time for a once over and clean up. If anything, it will give you something to do when the festive stuff has all come to a head.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys,earliest I can get round to having a look at it properly is after xmas,it would be ok to run in the mean time though as long as I keep topping up as and when ??

Associate
OP
Yeah double checked it all and it's still secure,the temps are still really good.It's still under warranty with Overclockers so might give them a ring and see what they can do.

Associate
If you can move/adjust the tubing to keep it from kinking for the next couple of weeks I don't see why you couldn't keep using it. Just be really careful that it doesn't suddenly give and **** your entire loop in to the bottom of the case. That's definitely a risk at this point without any action!

Associate
OP
Quick update,zip tied the kink so it’s a bit more open but noticed the little drops of coolant seem to be coming from under the radiator at the front of the case.Recommendations in the short term until I can get it up overclockers on Monday ?? Temps are still really good though

Soldato
Personally if there is a leak, I would stop using it until the leak issue is resolved IMO. Sounds like the radiator end tank may have developed a leak, can happen and has happened to me. I would just stop using it as can get worse if you carry on using it and the radiator is compromised. I would drain and primarily look to replace the radiator, but also tubing at same time ensuring more smoother runs are used.

Soldato
The kink isn't a major concern, it's not too sharp and will be far less restrictive that any block you've got in the loop.

The leak is a MASSIVE problem. There is a lot of residue under the rad so that's a lot of water that is getting out. Normally leaks occur at the joins, so check the fittings for the rad. Personally I would not use the computer until the leak is fixed but if you have to, put down paper towel around to absorb any water that gets out.

Jc3j3sAh.jpg

Associate
OP
Haven't turned it on at all and put some tissue under the rad overnight,quite a bit of coolant on it this morning.I only live 10 minutes away from Overclockers
x3jzMln.jpg
so do you think I would be able to pop it up first thing monday.At least if it's there I can have a bit more piece of mind even if it can't be fixed straight away ??

Associate
That's a lot of bleeding for just overnight... how much is left in the res?!?

Definitely don't use it as if that's how much is coming out when the system isn't under pressure, imagine how much would be pouring out when the pump is putting pressure behind that fault. Get the faulty rad/fittings/tubing replaced asap!

Soldato
Did you take this back in to ocuk? Honestly I’m amazed they sell a custom water cooled machine with a 5 year warranty, I’d wager the initial cost includes them having it back at least once for a drain, new tubes and flush.

If you don’t have any luck, there are plenty of people around that can give advice and point you at the right YouTube videos to help you get back up and running.

Associate
OP
Took it back first thing on Monday morning,explained what the problem was and they said it would take about 2-3 weeks because of a backlog in orders/repairs to fix but feel bitter knowing it's at least getting fixed now.The 5 year warranty ran out on the 17th Novemeber (sods law) so i'll have to pay for any repairs so if it's new res,piping etc then it is what it is.Just told them to give the cooling system an MOT basically.As a rough figure what does anyone think that will cost if it needs new pipes,coolant,res etc ??

Associate
OP
Maybe,not that confident when it comes to messing with it though to be honest.Hypothetically how much would a good clean out,new piping etc,rad cost.Few hundred quid ??

Associate
Tubing and Rad and coolant all of it, less then £100 depending on what you want, I can't tell, but it looks like you have a 240mm rad and if you stay soft tubing...

My basket at [url=https://www.overclockers.co.uk]Overclockers UK:
Total: £70.13 (includes shipping: £8.70)​
[/URL]

Just make sure the tubing is the right size for the fittings, if you know what they are from your order history/build list just order the correct tubing size

Soldato
It’s probably not the rad itself, more likely just tubing worked loose of a fitting, but what rad is it? Tubing £10 coolant £10-20 and a 360 rad is £70- £100. So a new rad doing it yourself will be £100-150 plus 3-4 hours of your time and maybe some o rings, depending on your fittings. I have no idea on how much labour ocuk will charge, but hopefully they would be quicker than you doing it. - issue is just their queue for work at the moment.

Top Bottom