Leaking shower valve?

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
So I have a bath/shower and it's leaking water.

From the wall, there is dual handle. On the right is temperature, on the left is water power. Twist to turn on/off.

The left part is where it's leaking, constantly. It started low but seems to be getting more and more.

I'm guessing this is something I can't fix myself?

It's likely to be the thermostatic cartridge. YouTube should show you how to change it, you'll need to get it out and measure it and then order a replacement.

I'd suggest it to be the water on/off valve thats leaking (left side) rather than the thermodynamic one (right side).... I had to take mine off as the water flow was crap. Turns out, when I removed the on/off side and then used a pair of grips to turn it, it fixed the issue. ALmost as if something had gummed up the internals preventing the tap from opening fully.

Ah yeah that looks like the cartridge to my noob eyes
So it's the cartridge on the temperature side on the right that the problem like @Hyburnate said?

The whole handle is actually not straight and tilts to the left slightly, so it would make sense it leaks on the right then goes to the left inside...

So it's the cartridge on the temperature side on the right that the problem like @Hyburnate said?

The whole handle is actually not straight and tilts to the left slightly, so it would make sense it leaks on the right then goes to the left inside...

I thought cartridge was the name given both sides, as per below video, flow cartridge and temp cartridge, it looks like your flow cartridge is leaking. Again, I am no expert though.

Last edited:
Reactions: A2Z
yes flow cartridge on the left changed mine dripping a month ago - removing original/>10years to check on size required (& bracing/stilsons tap body) was the tough bit.

fortunately on removing it found that the body/valve part on other tap valve spares for kitchen/franke sink was identical,
but the splined side was too long 52vs 47mm , so put this in with ptfe tape which fixed leak, and the head of the tap had to stand proud,
then ordered the correct length one, which I then easily changed.

tap magician site good to see a complete catalogue of mftr size ...but can then buy at £6/7 pair in toolstation/screwfix.

yes flow cartridge on the left changed mine dripping a month ago - removing original/>10years to check on size required (& bracing/stilsons tap body) was the tough bit.

fortunately on removing it found that the body/valve part on other tap valve spares for kitchen/franke sink was identical,
but the splined side was too long 52vs 47mm , so put this in with ptfe tape which fixed leak, and the head of the tap had to stand proud,
then ordered the correct length one, which I then easily changed.

tap magician site good to see a complete catalogue of mftr size ...but can then buy at £6/7 pair in toolstation/screwfix.
Damn ok.... Thanks for the info. Sounds pretty complicated :p I'll do more research and see if I should give it a try as I would like to know more DIY stuff, or just get someone, I won't be paying anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom