Lean-to roof on shared beam, need advice please

Soldato
Hey,

I’m a relatively new home owner, so apologies for the noob questions and probably incorrect terminology (and there will be more to come I’m afraid as I want to improve the car port!).

The roof is leaky on the lean-to car port. It has polycarbonate corrugated panels that have gone brittle, and the wood is a bit unsightly. I was considering replacing with flat 10mm or 16mm panels as they seem more robust and it would be easier for me in the future to build a wall on the boundary that offers a bit of separation, weather-proofing and mild soundproofing.

The current set up is 3x4” joists somewhat unevenly spaced from my house wall to the boundary, but roughly 2m apart. Then there are cross beams (purlins?) on top about 600cm apart.

I wanted to remove the purlins and add in more 3x4 joists to make them ~1m apart (as I have 2 spare from shortening the car port already). Then I can just add the flat polycarbonate roofing with snap down glazing bars attached to the joists. In my mind, if I do that and sand down the joists, that will look much cleaner, not dissimilar from my conservatory roof.

The problem is, If I want to do this, I have no idea what to do with the gutter. For one thing, it’s attached to a purlin. This odd arrangement seems to be because the posts and beans on the boundary are shared between me and my neighbour. Any ideas on options?

Comedy diagram below…

NLyceBw.jpeg

NoVvfXT.jpeg

ZrZgG4N.jpeg

0Ll78i1.jpeg

L5CefXb.jpeg

hAqlI20.jpeg

Thanks!

Did this come up on the survey?

It'll need a friendly conversation with neighbor and a rejig on both sides to make it work imo.

I would be thinking about getting rid of the shared gutter (where does it drain?) and building within your boundary. It looks like it has been two friendly neighbours who both wanted some covered space.
Are you swapping out the gates for patio/french doors?

The ***** on your roof is from next door and your pitch probably not been enough to move it.

Start again

Back
Top Bottom