Learning C for PICS

Associate
I wonder if anyone in OcUK can help me!

So my analogue electronics is very strong but my knowledge of micros is really holding me back at the minute.

I've been wanting to use micros for at least a year now but I have found nothing useful to help me learn the C language. I want to use C and PICs because I plan to use it in work late in life so I would rather use a commercial compatible solution to start off with.

I know no assembler or C, I played about with an arduino for half an hour at a friends but that's it!

Any videos/websites would be helpful!

Thanks
Boscoe

Soldato
I would suggest learning C on a hosted system first, debugging is generally easier than embedded.
Have fun, it's pretty daunting to be honest. A lot of people on my course still don't know embedded programming that well.

Soldato
I've been using MPLAB and the PICKIT2 system for a while. I'd say it's not the most intuitive to use, but it is cheap and I think it's closer to industry standard systems.

The PICKIT2 comes with a little evaluation board usually, it has 4 LEDs, a switch and a potentiometer. Pretty quickly you'll move away and build your circuits on breadboard. The PIC is programmed over ICSP and you can leave the header on your finished boards, which is highly recommended, never assume your code will ever be final/perfect!

I needed some help from a friend to get started with this set up and you'll always need to refer to the actual PIC datasheet for your chosen device, but again, this is good practise and you'll learn the theory from a really base level. I started off not able to even load example code onto it! Now programming my own LCD and remote control, SPI ports etc, system for Uni project. Much more confident with it now but still quite a C language noob.

Soldato
I'll second RomanNose - C on a computer will be a faster learning curve than C on a microcontroller.

"C in a nutshell" is brilliant, provided you can code in something already. C is a fun language, in a masochistic sort of way. I like "The C Programming Language", Kernighan and Ritchie, as a more thorough treatment.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom