learning C#

Soldato
Just keep practising. Try and come up with something to build and build it :)

This is good advice. Give yourself a little project and build that. Anything will do. For example

1. Build a Win32 Application that connects to a simple database (Microsoft SQL Express for example) and manages stock/books etc.

2. Build a simple web admin tool or web site using ASP.Net in C# that connects to the same database and manages stock/books through a thin client rather than windows forms.

3. Build some simple Web or WCF services.

Having a project in mind means you will come across a problem and have to go research how to overcome it. Best way to learn is by doing in my opinion.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, looking at what you suggested I think it will probably be above me right now, Im still at a very basic level.

However I do agree the best way to learn is by doing :0

I thought there might be a course or book etc that might guide me through my first project?

Associate
Personally one of the best ways to learn and get to grips with a language is to code small projects - games are a very good example. They allow you to practise all of they key elements like selection and iteration which you can then build upon as you make your games or other projects more advanced. A few simple game ideas could be Pong, Breakout or Space Invaders - these are merely examples but by constructing these sorts of games it will allow you to hone your skills in a number of areas while also leaving you with something fun and cool to show off!

My one piece of advice to you (and for any other beginning programmer) would be not to think of a problem when you see it as how would you solve it technically or "how would I could that?" Instead focus on how would you solve it as though some one had asked you to break it down in plain English. For example collision detection, sounds pretty daunting from a technical perspective but break that down into simple English AKA Pseudo Code (check it out on Wikipedia) and it becomes quite a lot simpler. You then simply transfer each of these steps to solving the problem into actual code, remember true programmers aren't mindless code spewing robots, they're problem solvers! So don't get bogged down with learning every API or function call instead learn to solve problems and translate them into code - do that and the rest will come naturally over time.

Last edited:
Associate
Back
Top Bottom