Learning how to create web content

Soldato
When making websites what software do you guys use to design the actual content such as logos, menus, backgrounds etc..

I'm learning HTML and CSS and will be soon creating actual websites. But I need to create the content and don't know where to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Soldato
OP
You start by learning. :) Get some packages and play until you feel comfortable with them.

By packages you mean Photoshop itself. Having a play isn't going to help much, I need to know how to use it from a Web Designers point of view and know the tools they'd use. I can't just open PS and click on each button to see what it does, it will take too much time and is really inefficient.

Permabanned
By packages you mean Photoshop itself. Having a play isn't going to help much, I need to know how to use it from a Web Designers point of view and know the tools they'd use. I can't just open PS and click on each button to see what it does, it will take too much time and is really inefficient.

You don't have a choice. You will have to learn and it takes years for good developers to get where they are today.

Associate
To really get learning apps like Photoshop or Illustrator quicker, you need to invest a bit of cash and get some training. Lynda or Total Training are good places to start looking at. With Photoshop you will probaby need to learn how to import and manipulate photos for web projects, aside from using it as a creative tool.

Also Fireworks can be purchased at competitive prices. ;)

Caporegime
I've just started as a junior web developer and they use Photoshop here for designing the content, I had no idea how it worked or what did what, but now after 1 month I am getting more confident at using PS and can put together a decent mock up for a site.

There is no cheating sadly, you have to invest the time to get up to speed.

It is hard to know what to do if you haven't got a brief as I struggled with this before I got my job, but you could always look at some sites and try to do a mock up of them in PS.

Soldato
Just like programming, Graphics design can take years to master, there is no easy route. I would advise googling for some well known logos showing you how they are created and follow the steps.

Soldato
I rarely design a complete layout in photoshop anymore. More often I sketch on paper then go straight to coding a mockup, I also favour text/css over images whenever possible.

Back
Top Bottom