Learning Japanese

Soldato
Just a bit of a question out there to the GD masses.

I'm planning a holiday in 2018 to Japan and I'm quite keen to learn Japanese mainly conversational/spoken to get by in a social setting but it would be handy to be able to read a little Kanji/Kana as well. While I know speaking and writing/reading are two completely different ballparks when it comes to Japanese I would still like to give it a go.

So really my question is has any GD'ers learnt Japanese and if so how did you go about it? Did you do a language course/class or did you teach yourself via x, y and z aides. If anyone can steer me in the right direction or offer any advice I would be grateful.

(Could have Necro'd a 2006 thread but think that would be a bit too much)

Soldato
OP
Please confirm/deny the following:
  1. This is somehow related to anime.
  2. On a scale of 1 to neckbeard, where do you stand?
  3. The phrase 'my waifu' is something you use unironically and without shame.
  4. You did not buy those pillows from John Lewis, did you?
  5. You're going to Japan because vending machines.
We can then offer support.

lol Classic Magnolia

1. I do have an appreciation for Anime but that is not why im going
2. Neckbeardless
3. Term is not used
4. I don't own a body pillow and didn't even know John Lewis sold them
5. Vending machines will be used in the Japan visit but the non panty variety

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the serious replies guys. At the moment the plan is to go to Tokyo, Sendai, Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe and Kure during March/April. We will be essentially dumping our stuff in pod hotels for the entire trip to keep the costs down. After doing a rough costing for flights, pod hotel accommodation, and internal travel with about £15 a day for food it's been roughed up as £1300 each for the 3 weeks, ignoring spending money

I have looked at a local language school which does evening classes over 15 weeks but I'm a bit put off by the £350 price but I guess you get what you pay for. I'm ok with the very basics as memyselfandI suggested and basic greetings but aside from it being a language im genuinely interested in, it would be nice to be able to engage in the language a little more especially on holiday.

Soldato
OP
Seriously guys unless you have something useful to say just stop the body pillow crap or ill start hitting RTM.

Thankyou to those who have been serious so far especially exhashdotdot.

Back
Top Bottom