Learning SQL...where to start?

Caporegime
Hi guys,

For some upcoming projects of my own I'm going to need them running a SQL backend. Whilst I've worked in SQL before I'm far from 'comfortable' with it...so now is as good a time as any to begin to learning it properly.

Can anyone recommend where to begin? a dummies book possibly? I can soon setup some VM's on my machine to do the work in.

TIA :)
Jake

Soldato
Personally I started with the dummies guide to sql. It gave me that initial syntactic sugar that I needed to understand the concepts of the language and then looking at examples of other people's work then helped me to understand how to do things. Are you familiar with Linq at all? This has a similar feel for non-sql users.

If you are used to working with OOP then just model an existing project of classes from a language you are strong in into SQL tables. May even be worth looking at https://www.livecoding.tv as there maybe someone doing a demo. It is a new service a fellow developer at work sent me an email about it and it looks interesting (think of it as twitch.tv for coders)

Alternatively if you get stuck give me a shout I will be more than happy to help if I can. I don't confess to be the worlds greatest sql developer but I know enough to deal with large databases (500GB+) from both a design, maintenance and performance and getting them working super fast. I use MS SQL 2005+ (mainly working on SQL 2012/SQL Azure) hoping to move up to 2014/2016 if I can convince work to get some licenses for it.

Soldato

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Jake, been a long time since we've chatted but feel free to hit me up if you get stuck :).

Are you looking to go down the MySQL or MSSQL route? MSSQL is better :p.

Soldato
PL-SQL all the way ;)

Tbh the basic SQL syntax is pretty easy to pick up. The real skill is learning the various optimisation techniques for each specific database engine.

Back
Top Bottom