Learning the drums, what's a good starter kit?

I haz 4090!
Don
I've decided that instead of thinking about it for ages, I'm finally going to learn to play the drums as my new years resolution. Does anyone have any tips for a decent starter kit? I don't want to have to replace the cymbals after a week because they are made out of tin-foil. Ideally I want to buy a kit that comes with everything I need to get started.

Also, does anyone have any recommedations for good DVDs to start learning with until I can find a tutor in my area?

Man of Honour
You would be better buying a second hand kit such as Pearl Export or Yamaha Stage Custom. At least you realise about the cymbals and you will need to spend about £200 for a half decent set of hi hats, crash and ride. You are realistically looking at about £600 foir something decent that won't fall apart after a few hits. I have two kits but its not really my area - others will advise you better.

I haz 4090!
Don
OP
Thanks for all the help haha!

I ended up buying these yesterday:

drums2.jpg

Came with cymbals too but I hadn't set them up when I took that photo.

I'm chuffed. Had my first lesson on Monday too. Just need to learn to play them properly now!

:)

Soldato
i'd invest in some Silencing pads if your in a built up area or people in the house dont want to walk around with ear plugs!!

silence.jpg

I took the cheap option and used some old carpet, cut to the shape, works just as well and i think sounds better then the pads :)

Soldato
They are pretty good to be fair, and as long as you're not too heavy handed (like me for for instance :p) they'll last a long time and you won't get the neighbours knocking on your door :D

t3h :cool:

EDIT: Nice kit btw, real nice colour and loving the wood hoop on the bass, looks sweet :)

Associate
I had a set of SundOffs about 6 years ago. I thought they were really good however i swapped the snare pad for a solid 14" practice pad and if you do want to practice without making to much noise i would def go for a set.

That looks a nice first kit!

Back
Top Bottom