Learning to program

Soldato
Rather broad question.

I want to take an interest in programming. I tried programming back in school, but didn't like it, can't remember the language, but that was about 18 years ago. I'd like to have another go, mainly to open up some new avenues for possible job hunting in the future.

The big question is where to start, there are so many languages out there.
Can anyone recommend a good starting language? Then the required reading material for it, or some kind of app, I commute a good 2-3 hours a day on the train, so I have time to kill.

I just want something to try, to see if it's possible, or whether I hate it. :p

Soldato
Look at Python. Easy to pick up so you'll not get disheartened like with some languages.

Lots of free resources.

Learn Python the Hard Way
Codecademy

will give you a basic understanding.

Associate
If your interest in website development try this.
Within 5-6 Months i learn the basics for:
PHP
HTML
CSS
MYSQL
Javasctip

Very simple to learn the basics and with the use of internet all will be easy to get help. Im very slow learner!

Go to youtube and search for php lessons, you find nice series and easy to follow.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the replies.
Crappy day at work has got me looking into this again.

Look at Python. Easy to pick up so you'll not get disheartened like with some languages.

Lots of free resources.

Learn Python the Hard Way
Codecademy

will give you a basic understanding.

I'm looking into Python as a good place to start.
Is that "Learn Python the Hard Way" worth paying for the video's?

Soldato
Don't spend money learning to program whatever you do, I doubt there are many other skills with such a wealth of free resources to help you learn.

Soldato
I suggest SICP. It's hard, but that's fair, because programming is hard. I wish I'd discovered it earlier.

It is truly a book that every programmer should read, it's just that it's written in Scheme, which I understand why they used Scheme, but it's Scheme for crying out loud. :D

Read this, and then apply all the knowledge to another language. Unless you find a Scheme position in some strange underground Russian facility.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I suggest SICP. It's hard, but that's fair, because programming is hard. I wish I'd discovered it earlier.

It is truly a book that every programmer should read, it's just that it's written in Scheme, which I understand why they used Scheme, but it's Scheme for crying out loud. :D

Read this, and then apply all the knowledge to another language. Unless you find a Scheme position in some strange underground Russian facility.

As someone who, according to this graph, is rolling back and forth between the desert of despair and the upswing of awesome, do you think that book will help?

The major issue I've had so far is taking the knowledge I've learned and applying it to unknown functions/methods/objects. Samples/examples of use on MSDN make no sense to me. Any entries I find by myself in object browsers never seem to work as I expect them to.

I've regressed to a state of frankensteining other people's code to get what I want and this doesn't feel empowering. I'd really like to be at a stage where I can write the majority of the code from scratch through deduction and iterative testing. How much memorisation is needed as opposed to working out what's needed each time?

Soldato
I find that it's the sort of book you would read studying Computer Science, it's useful but it's quite Math's heavy from what I recall.

The best way I found to move passed that stage was to make something, build it on paper explaining in English what each part of the program does and then translate it into code. Even if you have to Google every step of the way you'll have still built something.

I never memorise everything, there are too many functions, too many different ways of doing things. If I were to do string manipulation I always have to go and re-read it on MSDN or SO because there's too much to remember.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Yeah I'm halfway through a simple backup app for data management software and it's been a good learning project.
But my boss wanted to monetise it and by throwing in his licensing code, and asking for an exe rather than scripts/task scheduler, I've hit a brick wall.
But I really do see the value in creating a nice self-contained project with a start and finish.

Would you say the purpose of that book is the conversion of mathematics for programmers, or the theory of programming in general? I come from an engineering background so have no issues with maths. I'd hate to add a technically heavy piece of text to an already mounting stack of study material :D

Soldato
The Wiki explains it better than I would be able:

aiming to teach the principles of computer programming, such as abstraction in programming, metalinguistic abstraction, recursion, interpreters, and modular programming.

The program also introduces a practical implementation of the register machine concept, defining and developing an assembler for such a construct, which is used as a virtual machine for the implementation of interpreters and compilers in the book, and as a testbed for illustrating the implementation and effect of modifications to the evaluation mechanism. Working Scheme systems based on the design described in this book are quite common student projects.

Back
Top Bottom