Learning to ride...

Soldato
Never rode a geared motorcycle before...

So why not start now :D

Soon to be starting learning, excited.

As I am a "cough" older rider, I am going to start to learn on the 125's then my goal is to pass my test and get myself a Mid life Crisis Kawasaki Ninja 400 :D

Fed up with all the kids round here riding around on their hairdryers.

Want no L's, looking forward to having fun and being safe, obviously.

Soldato
6ft2" - 13.5st

They looked like the perfect "beginner" bike too but I have seen it said they are not that big.

I wouldn't say that's a beginner bike either personally. You'll need to keep that at the higher RPM and wind it up for overtaking etc, lots of gear changing.

Sorry not trying to put your off, it's your decision and get whatever makes you happy, just few things to think about.

I mean it's a Japanese bike so your going to get quality.

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't say that's a beginner bike either personally. You'll need to keep that at the higher RPM and wind it up for overtaking etc, lots of gear changing.

Sorry not trying to put your off, it's your decision and get whatever makes you happy, just few things to think about.

I mean it's a Japanese bike so your going to get quality.

Any suggestions?

My thinking was that 400cc was a nice sweetspot. I am learning on 125cc and will get to learn on higher once competent.

Ed

Ed

Soldato
Are you tall or a large chap? Those things are pretty small. 100% test ride one if you can first.
This.

That's a small bike, slow too, particularly if you're larger. Qualifying the slow statement, it's relatively slow and will take ragging and changing gears to keep up on ride-outs due to the nature of the bike. You're better off with a 650. You'll learn on it for one, keep it for longer when you buy it, and it's more usable as a first big bike.

I'm 6'3" and 16st so typically things like Versys 650 / V-Strom 650 fit me like a glove. Smaller bikes pinch your knees too tightly and you'll get stiff after a short while.

Exciting choosing though! :)

Soldato
Suzuki SV 650
Yamaha MT 07
Ducati Scrambler (although imo Ducatis are ****)
Kawsaki Z650
Triumph Trider 660
Im am sure Honda do an equivalent

BAsically all the above very similar.

Anything torquey and more upright.

If you like sports bikes fine, as I said, get whatever you like and makes you happy. But you have to crouch over those (particularly that Ninja 400 as its small) and they are not comfortable, for most riders, for any lengthy journey. The way sports bikes are made means they product the power at the higher end of the RPM scale, which means at low RPM they dont have as much power, which means if you need power quickly (eg overtake/get out of trouble) you may need to shift down fast one or two.

Those bike slisted (there are loads of other similar) produce more torque at lower RPM, so have a wider power band, generally better for the street use.

Also I dont get this new rider get a small bike thing, just because I bike can do 180mph and 0-60 in 3 seconds doesnt mean you have to. If you need to get a smaller bike for insurances and cost reasons then fine, otherwise just dont ride it fast lol.

Man of Honour
Agreed. My first bike was a 1000. Just use it appropriately.
Yep, same. It took me a short time to adjust to it and then everything was fine. Just be careful the first time getting up to motorway speed as that's what took me by surprise. After that, especially for an older person with a lot of road experience in a car a bigger capacity bike really isn't an issue.

Associate
Yep, same. It took me a short time to adjust to it and then everything was fine. Just be careful the first time getting up to motorway speed as that's what took me by surprise. After that, especially for an older person with a lot of road experience in a car a bigger capacity bike really isn't an issue.

Yeah I imagine if you can blag a test ride on that 400, it will give you enough time (less than an hour) to be ready to move to a 650 region bike :p. My neighbour recently DAS'd and got a Street 675... or 765. Anyway, he's having a nice time. Similarly into the 40s bracket I believe :p.

Soldato
OP
You all speak sense.

The whole purpose of me doing the DAS was so I was not lumbered with lesser powered bikes and can get experience riding higher powered onces under instruction.

Food for thought and all makes sense, MOOOAAAAR POWWWWA!

As said, because the power is there, does not mean I have to go from 0-dead as soon as I get on the thing.

Thanks guys.

Man of Honour
Lots of good advice in this thread. Engine size is only one consideration. For a new rider, the focus should be on rideability, comfort, and forgiving characteristics. Quite often some of the bigger engines bikes better fit this profile than the small capacity screamers. However jumping on a big capacity KTM or the like just after passing is a recipe for disaster. I see so many who do this, buy a bike to win bragging rights with their mates (or strangers on the internet)then end up selling their bike a few months later as they don’t enjoy it or come off it.

Loomies last weekend was a prime example. Loads of middle aged men with big expensive superbikes and supernakeds posing in the car park, but look like a newborn foal trying to walk once they get out on the road. Don’t be one of them, it’s no fun!

The Triumph triples, mid sized Yamaha triples, or anything with a more practical sports touring focus will probably be better suited to your experience and dimensions. There’s a reason adventure bikes are so popular nowadays - they’re just so much more practical and enjoyable to ride distance on real roads. Don’t completely discount them without trying. They might not impress the weekend power rangers but you should be old enough to not care so much about that!

Back
Top Bottom