Leasing - experiences?

Soldato
We want to move to an EV but want to wait for 2 or 3 years just to wait and see what happens to the battery tech and the residuals.

So we need a ICE to cover the period before we make our minds up on an EV.

We want an estate and the new Skoda Superb estate looks perfect.

Had a lease offer of:
10k miles per year
24 months
£800 up front
£265 per month after that

Total over 2 years: £7160

The alternative would be to buy a 2 year old car and sell it in 2 or 3 years. But doing that would easily lose us a similar amount in depreciation and interest on the whole purchase price over the ownership period.

That looks like an effective way of covering the period in question.

Any gotchas I'm not aware of having never leased before?

Never leased myself, but had quite a few close friends lease some bottom and top end cars.

Off the top of my head, any damage/scratches, including curbing the wheels, comes out of your pocket when you give it back. They even look at the tyres to see if there's any lumps missing. Not sure whether them being close to legal limit is also looked at.

Any mileage over what you're contracted in a year, you'll pay a fairly decent premium on.

I leased various premium cars for about 8 years, nice and easy, suited me at the time.

As D-Ranged said, they do go over the car with a fine tooth comb so if there’s any scuffs or damage, you’ll need to pay.

I think you’ll also need to get OEM parts with any windscreen replacement which wasn’t an issue when I did it, insurance sorted LR heated glass without question but you need to ask.

Check the excess mileage charge as if you go over, it could cost you. I think I shelled out over a grand once. I believe you can call up and negotiate an increase in mileage if you need it.

Last edited:
What’s going to magically happen in 2-3 years that gonna outpace the relatively slow progress in the last 5. EVs now are perfectly capable and tbh it’s the Goldilocks time to have one before taxes are inevitably going to increase.

Seems a good way to waste money on fuel though .

Back
Top Bottom