Lenovo Ideapad 5

Man of Honour
@Minstadave I saw you got one from HUKD website

How do you find it?
Temps?
Build quality?
Did you get the metallic version with the 100% sRGB screen?

(obvs looking to get one too)

Happy for opinions if anyone else got one too... :)

Caporegime
@Minstadave I saw you got one from HUKD website

How do you find it?
Temps?
Build quality?
Did you get the metallic version with the 100% sRGB screen?

(obvs looking to get one too)

Happy for opinions if anyone else got one too... :)

I ended up getting a 10% refund due to delay so paid just under £500 all in for the top spec. The metal version I ordered was cancelled so mine has a plastic base (all 15" metal versions were changed to plastic or cancelled due to supply issues).

Build is plastic and middle of the road. There's a small amount of flex in the keyboard and a moderate amount in the plastic base panel. There's a few edges that are a bit rough especially where the base plate meets the wrist wrest. This isn't XPS level by any means.

The top panel is metal and is sturdy.

Can't tell you CPU temps because I cant find anything to read it. Fan noise is an issue, especially when plugged in, the fan curve is aggressive and a little intrusive. GPU temps are great, not seen above 60 degrees when gaming. Hoping to find a way to twesk the fan curve or a BIOS update. Extreme performance mode turns the thing into a hairdryer.

I got the 100% sRGB panel, mine is an LG panel with Freesync, very nice screen, no bleed, brightness is good but not amazing, would like another notch or two.

Battery life seems just OK with my 4800U/16GB setup, doubt it'd go beyond 8-10hrs but I need to test it properly. Thats with the large 70Wh battery.

Keyboard is nice, don't really like the layout on the 15" with the off centre trackpad. The num pad is no use to me. Trackpad is OK, nothing special.

CPU performance is staggering. The 2280 SSD turned out to be a Samsung PM981a, as hoped, which is essentially a 970 Evo Plus and very fast.

IO is only OK. A single USB C port is a pain, especially if you ordered the USB C charger like I did. I'd prefer the standard DC charger. SD card reader is USB2 speeds which is a little slower than I'd like.

The speakers aren't great and the right speaker is almost in the middle of the laptop, its weird.

WiFi card is an Intel AX600, speeds are crazy, almost 1GB with good signal and that's just 802.11ac.

Buying at current prices the 14" looks better, it has a second M2 slot, centered keyboard, all metal option, better speaker placement and personally I find 15" a little bulky. It also gets 2 USB C I believe in the all metal config.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
@Minstadave yeah the 14 inch is tempting. According to the specsheet the 100% sRGB screen is available which is a big plus...though can't really justify the £130 difference between the 15 and the 14. Apparently an option will be coming soon with freedos which should hopefully reduce the price. I'll bite then.

Just gave my mum my old laptop so on the hunt for a new one lol
The dell g15 looks really tempting (and I get £100 cashback with amex)...but and its a big but...the screen is only 65% sRGB :( really putting me off

Soldato
@Minstadave yeah the 14 inch is tempting. According to the specsheet the 100% sRGB screen is available which is a big plus...though can't really justify the £130 difference between the 15 and the 14. Apparently an option will be coming soon with freedos which should hopefully reduce the price. I'll bite then.

Just gave my mum my old laptop so on the hunt for a new one lol
The dell g15 looks really tempting (and I get £100 cashback with amex)...but and its a big but...the screen is only 65% sRGB :( really putting me off
I was in a similar position, between a Dell which I'd have got £100 off of or the Lenovo and have gone for the Lenovo. £700 for 16gb RAM, 512 SSD and a 4700u seemed too good to pass up, even if it is more expensive than the previous deal. I could have waited for the FreeDOS deal but given the difficulties people seem to have had getting these shipped,I wanted to get my order in ASAP. My budget for a new laptop was around £1300 (I was initially after a MBP) so in the grand scheme I still feel like I've saved money!

Man of Honour
OP
@manic111 ah nice
if the 14 drops to £600 if the freedos option ever gets released...i'll probably bite (i don't really need, need a laptop, but definitely useful to have one)

Caporegime
Went for the 14, missed the deal on the 15 but for my use case I'd rather have the smaller one anyway tbh. Plus I'm not a fan of the off centre keyboard on the 15, and I type a lot

The 14 looks the better buy, apart from the smaller battery. That extra M2 slot and USBC port are really useful.

The price on the 15" was crazy though so I dont feel too bad, especially after getting 10% knocked off for the delay.

If they bring the 13" out with a 4800U I think I'll change though. That comes with most of the same benefits as the 14" but with a QHD panel.

Man of Honour
OP
ok bit the bullet on the ideapad 14"
asked lenovo rep and they said they're not releasing freedos in uk. so have to stump up the extra for windows :(
was tempted by the legion 5, but couldn't justify an extra £200ish seeing that i rarely use a laptop

Caporegime
Man of Honour
OP
Just found this review and you're right, just one USB-C even on the metal version:
yeah. can't wait to see how it is. got the black (grahite grey) version. always have been a fan of the thinkpads and like the black look

fully maxed out
the debacle of the dell with the terribad cooling swayed the decision in lenovo's favour in the end

Processor - AMD Ryzen 7 4800U Processor (1.80GHz, Max Boost up to 4.20GHz, 8 Cores, 8MB Cache)
Operating System - Windows 10 Home 64
Operating System Language - Windows 10 Home 64 English
Microsoft Productivity Software - Microsoft Office Trial
Memory - 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Onboard
Hard Drive - 512GB Solid State Drive, M.2 2280, PCIe-NVMe, TLC
Display - 14.0" FHD (1920x1080), IPS, Anti-glare, 2.4mm Thickness, 300nits, Narrow bezel
Graphics - Integrated Graphics
Color - Graphite Grey
Keyboard - Keyboard Backlit Iron Grey English (UK)
Camera - 720p HD Camera with Array Microphone
Palmrest - Metal
Surface Treatment - Anodizing
Fingerprint Reader - Fingerprint Reader
Battery - 3 Cell Li-Polymer Internal Battery, 57Wh
Power Cord - 95W AC Adapter (3pin)-UK (USB Type C)
Wireless - Wi-Fi 6 2x2 AX, Bluetooth Version 5.0 or above
Language Pack - Publication-English
Warranty - 1 Year Courier or Carry-in

Back
Top Bottom