Lenovo Legion 5 Pro

Soldato
@Vandle

If you can, change the order to 4070 with 16GB RAM ASAP before it ships.
Laptop graphics you're more or less stuck with for the lifespan of the machine, RAM can typically be upgraded, so going for more RAM and a weaker GPU is a mistake, especially as 16GB whilst not optimal is still usable. (with the exception of if you need more RAM and your intended machine has soldered RAM). The Lenovo's typically do not.

The 4070 is a decent chunk faster than the 4060 at the same wattage.

Last edited:
Reactions: ljt

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Treated myself to one of these now with a 4070. Hopefully be OK on my Ultra wide and has to be better than my current i5200k and a GTX1080 :)

Soldato
@Vandle

If you can, change the order to 4070 with 16GB RAM ASAP before it ships.
Laptop graphics you're more or less stuck with for the lifespan of the machine, RAM can typically be upgraded, so going for more RAM and a weaker GPU is a mistake, especially as 16GB whilst not optimal is still usable. (with the exception of if you need more RAM and your intended machine has soldered RAM). The Lenovo's typically do not.

The 4070 is a decent chunk faster than the 4060 at the same wattage.
Hmm. Didn't have that option as didnt get it direct from Lenovo. Paid $2,300 for it which was above my budget anyway, anything with a 4070 was $600 more.
Technically it's for work as I have both a series X and a PS5 so gaming will be minimal. I am sure it will be overkill for what I need :)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Anyone recommend a docking station for these. Its going to be used on a ultra wide predator a single 1080p monitor.

Soldato
I was lucky enough to get a 6800H/32GB/3070TI about a year ago for ~£1100 each.

If I hadn't, I'd definately be jumping at the bit after the 4080 version. Based on specs should be similar to a desktop 4070-4070ti, ie as fast as the 3080 was if not a bit faster which is what is still in my desktop. Not bad at all!

This is my kind of thinking at the moment. I've got a bit over the tweaking/tuning/etc kind of stuff with PC, have a 6800XT/5900X on good custom water but... eh, a laptop with similar specs somewhere in price range wouldn't be sniffed at.
Can still throw screens/peripherals/etc at it when it's on my desk and have the same machine on holidays etc rather than a "stuck on a laptop" laptop.

Associate
This is my kind of thinking at the moment. I've got a bit over the tweaking/tuning/etc kind of stuff with PC, have a 6800XT/5900X on good custom water but... eh, a laptop with similar specs somewhere in price range wouldn't be sniffed at.
Can still throw screens/peripherals/etc at it when it's on my desk and have the same machine on holidays etc rather than a "stuck on a laptop" laptop.
Remember if switching from Desktop PC gaming to Laptop Gaming. Heat is the biggest killer of Gaming Laptop components.

Soldato
Remember if switching from Desktop PC gaming to Laptop Gaming. Heat is the biggest killer of Gaming Laptop components.
Oh, absolutely. While it's not something I'd touch during warranty I've stripped/serviced laptops before.
Generally, keep em off fabrics and on a fan pad if poss/etc.

I don't have to forget ALL the tweaking/tuning/cooling lessons learned over.... probably 20 years at this :D

Last edited:
Associate
Well guess I don't need a second hand unit as a member in here twisted my arm on another deal they spotted.
Essentially I now have a HP Omen 17 13700HX/4080 on the way. Oops.
I'd be really interested to know how noisy your new Omen 17 is?
My Omen 17 is now 5 or 6 years old, still runs most of the games I want it to but the fans make around 60Db whenever I have a game running. In the interests of domestic harmony I need to get something much quieter.

Soldato
I'd be really interested to know how noisy your new Omen 17 is?
My Omen 17 is now 5 or 6 years old, still runs most of the games I want it to but the fans make around 60Db whenever I have a game running. In the interests of domestic harmony I need to get something much quieter.
Sure, I actually have a dB meter somewhere in the house from my motorsport days. I'll hopefully get a chance to ramp it up and play some games and report back hopefully. Work is absolutely rammed jus now so struggling to find any time to myself with a young family also. I've barely even opened it yet other than installing everything I wanted.

Associate
Sure, I actually have a dB meter somewhere in the house from my motorsport days. I'll hopefully get a chance to ramp it up and play some games and report back hopefully. Work is absolutely rammed jus now so struggling to find any time to myself with a young family also. I've barely even opened it yet other than installing everything I wanted.
Thanks. Good luck with finding some gaming time.

Soldato
My sisters other half has the legion 5 with a 3070 that is only recently out of warranty and it's developed a fault with the screen. Lines are running down it and half way down the screen is just completely ghosted

It's not a problem with the GPU because plugging a monitor in to it works fine

The screen hasn't been cracked or smashed either

Any idea what the best way to get this fixed would be? I can see 3rd party screens online but I imagine they're not easy to fit

Soldato
My sisters other half has the legion 5 with a 3070 that is only recently out of warranty and it's developed a fault with the screen. Lines are running down it and half way down the screen is just completely ghosted

Any idea what the best way to get this fixed would be? I can see 3rd party screens online but I imagine they're not easy to fit
Can you not extend the warranty on the legions fairly cheap?

Cant believe how cheap some were selling for, seem to have dropped their value quickly

I know, watched a few go for near £600. Bargain!

Associate

When that happens it is a new panel. Heat degrades the connectors on the panel you can sometimes fix it if you are any good with a soldering iron. Make sure you get the right matching panel or you could do more damage and you have the correct tools for the job. If you have not done anything like this before it would be better to pay for it to be fixed.

Back
Top Bottom