Lenovo M73 Tiny (running basic NAS) weird boot up issue

Soldato
I have a Lenovo M73 Tiny which I run OpenMediaVault on to act as a very basic NAS. There's a single 1TB SSD inside the machine for my storage and a 32GB USB pen drive for the OS. I've found that whenever the computer needs a reboot, following a major OS update, or a powercut etc, it will not boot up unless I intervene. I run the computer headless so I have to hook it up to my TV to see what is going on. It seems to be some kind of boot loop and it gets to trying to boot from the Intel network card I think it is, gives up trying to get an IP address and restarts then same again.

If I plug a keyboard into the computer and hit F2, or whatever key, in POST then I can get to the GRUB menu where I then can choose from Debian Linux 6.1.0-23 or Debian Linux 6.1.0.22 and a recovery mode for each. I select the first option, Debian Linux 6.1.0-23 and the system boots fine.

So what is wrong? Why do I need to get into GRUB and select the right OS whenever the computer restarts? Granted I don't do this often and I plan to replace the 1TB NAS with something using RAID asap but it would be nice to understand this issue and see if there's a fix to let the computer boot up automatically.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and suggestions.

Soldato
OP
Sorted now. Thanks. I found that the computer also had various boot modes and in all of them the network card was the first boot option and the USB drive was excluded from the boot options. Certainly made a lot of sense. I excluded the network option and included the USB option and made it the first boot option. System booted into OpenMediaVault as it should always have done! :)

Back
Top Bottom