Lenovo x121e netbook

Soldato
OP
Be very careful opening this laptop ensure you don't have too firm a grip or exert even the slightest bit of pressure my LCD just cracked :(

As I said above, poor build quality compared to my old (current :rolleyes: ) Asus EEEPC.

Ouch that's not good! All my Thinkpads have excellent build quality, I'd not be impressed if my x121e is any less.

Soldato
OP
Well I got my i3 X121e last night, fitted Crucial 128GB SSD and 8GB RAM no probs and it flies! Well happy with it, I think the build quality is great, screen is absolutely fine, and trackpad I have no problems with (after tweaking the settings a bit). The only negative is the fan, which even with TPFanControl on smart comes on noticibly when not doing anything particularly taxing, perhaps I need to fiddle with the settings a bit.

Considering the fact that it's pretty much as fast as my Lenovo T410i which I spent over £1200 on, this is probably the best £400 ever spent! Well happy. :)

Soldato
OP
I'm watching mine on its way from Shanghai on the UPS website, it's currently in Korea and heading for Castle Donnington today - must be East Midlands airport. Quite exciting :) The protective sleeve I bought with it is a day ahead and is on the van for delivery today, so hopefully the laptop will arrive tomorrow 1 week after ordering!

Edit: Just landed in Kazakhstan.

Oooh which sleeve did you get?

Soldato
OP
Got the one that was offered on the accesories tab when configuring the laptop on the Lenovo shop. Link below.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...D31ED47BDA13EC8&&hide_menu_area=yes&ds=direct

Glad to hear someone is getting on with the trackpad finally, I hope it's okay. Which SSD and memory did you get? The Crucial SSD on overclockers is 9.5mm, I thought it had to be 7mm?

Ah didn't see that one, I'll order it at some point.

I just used the system check on the crucial site to determine which ssd and memory to get. The drive is 9.5mm but it is in a plastic surround which you can unscrew (voiding the warranty) to make it fit. I used electrical tape to secure the bottom of the housing to the ssd board (which secures the ssd board into the case) as I didn't have any extra hard drive screws lying around. It's been absolutely fine so far though.

Soldato
OP
azazil is right though - they don't feel robust enough. This is the flimsiest feeling Thinkpad I have ever owned (owned plenty over the years). My wife is still using her old T42 (6 years old I think) and she does not like the X121e at all. I recently bought her a 2nd hand Edge 13 off Ebay which she has given a quick once over and she finds that acceptable - but still not T42 standard!

Remember it's a fraction of the cost! My T410i which I bought last November cost me over £1200 and is built like a tank, but I wouldn't expect the same build quality in a £350 netbook. Overall, I'm more than happy with the X121e after a week of solid use.

Back
Top Bottom