Lenovo x121e netbook

Soldato
Picked up one of these from MM the other day. i3, 8gb Ram, 320gb 7200rpm ...

Lovely little laptop, build quality (As always with Lenovo Thinkpad) is fantastic, I'm a big fan of the red mouse button as I had one on my work Z60m and loved it....

Very pleased!

Associate
So my x121e arrived yesterday. So far I have complied a fairly basic Ubuntu/Linux compatibility thread covering hardware and power consumption stats:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1894892

It needs quite a bit more info from others so all Linux users please feel free to contribute! I must say though that this laptop is about the best supported Linux device (aside from enterprise server gear) that I have ever worked with.

Do you know how to disable the touchpad. I use a mouse/trackpoint and I don't need the touchpad.

Associate
Nice with that code i get.
I3, fingerprint reader, 6 Cell Battery, Intel wireless (Apparently better then Lenovo's) and the Mobile broadband built in for £420

Left ram at 2Gb to replace with 8Gb from Crucial, Was looking at getting the AMD thinking the Graphics were better for light gaming and 1080p, But looks like the I3 so much faster than the AMD it cancels it out.

Associate
After posting this question on lenovo it seems this answered it. If you are using the 65w adaptor with the battery removed it does throttle the CPU it seems. Thanks for all your help guys.

That's really interesting...

I have an IBM x40, and although I only use it for browsing the web I find it painfully slow just running only Chrome with a 1.2GHz Pentium M and 1GB RAM on XP. I have always suspected this is due to the 4,200RPM 1.8" HDD, though.

As it never leaves the house I removed the battery and run it off the mains and have set the power scheme to maximise everything and temps are fine. I'm going to do a test tonight...

Soldato
Anyone that has upgraded their wifi card care to share the part number so I know I'm ordering the correct one? Would rather use a Lenovo adapter than have to flash the bios ...

Thanks Mart

Associate
Do you know how to disable the touchpad. I use a mouse/trackpoint and I don't need the touchpad.

If you have the Lenovo software installed you should be able to do it through this. I have mine setup to only function for scrolling but it can be disabled entirely. If you are really stuck I can take a proper look.

Associate
If you have the Lenovo software installed you should be able to do it through this. I have mine setup to only function for scrolling but it can be disabled entirely. If you are really stuck I can take a proper look.

I might have to re-frame the question to you as I was replying to a specific user who had installed Ubuntu 11.10 on it ?? I have disabled the touchpad on Windows but cannot seem to access it on Ubuntu :confused:

Associate
That's really interesting...

I have an IBM x40, and although I only use it for browsing the web I find it painfully slow just running only Chrome with a 1.2GHz Pentium M and 1GB RAM on XP. I have always suspected this is due to the 4,200RPM 1.8" HDD, though.

It is almost entirely down to that hard drive :) I use a similar-ish laptop for browsing (the Fujitsu P7120) and the performance difference after updating to an SSD was massive, now it only chugs when I run out of ram (1.5gb and hundreds of tabs in firefox :))

We're supposed to be getting some X121e laptops at work, quite looking forward to that.

Associate
Really considering purchasing this, with the 10% of code comes to about £350. Anyone used this for light photo editing? I know the screen is not for serious editing but how does small adjustments compare once properly calibrated?

Associate
Tempted to get one of these, and do away with the 17" laptop I have atm!

I'm not a massive fan of gaming on laptops, aside from FM and the odd RTS. But how would this handle a game like Company of Heroes? With the Intel GMA 3000, I'm guessing there is difference between the Intel HD 3000 and that?

I'd be sticking 8GB or RAM in to go with the i3 :)

Soldato
Mines the standard lenovo unnamed card I think

Will call support tomorrow for a chat

IIRC these ship with a 1 channel wireless N "lite" card, so 150mbps is the max they can sustain. You'd need a 2x2 N card, which models are on the whitelist and would work idk

1x1 and 2x2 refer to the number of transmit and receive radio chains built into the Wi-Fi card. 2x2 means it has two transmit and two receive radio chains, and usually implies that it supports 2 "spacial streams", which is a key way that 802.11n is faster than the previous generation of Wi-Fi technologies

Back
Top Bottom