Lenovo x121e netbook

Associate
fingerprint software after reinstall

I decided to do a clean install on my x121e.
Couldn't find fingerprint scanner driver listed under the x121e drivers page, so ended up getting some generic lenovo ones for another laptop. I''ve set it up and it works, but even with the check option selected it wont allow me to logon/unlock windows using fingerprint.

This was all working before the clean install. What have I missed?

Thanks

Associate
Should the always-on USB port charge devices even when the laptop isn't being charged from the mains? It's enabled in the BIOS but isn't charging anything unless the laptops switched on.

Associate
Does anyone else have this problem?

After left or right clicking with the buttons above the track pad, the track pad itself takes 1-2 seconds to become usable again so I cannot move the cursor during this time.

Maybe there is a fix for this somewhere?

Associate
Does anyone else have this problem?

After left or right clicking with the buttons above the track pad, the track pad itself takes 1-2 seconds to become usable again so I cannot move the cursor during this time.

Maybe there is a fix for this somewhere?

This will be due to the touchpad driver settings.

Open the mouse settings, then the touchpad settings and look for something called "palmcheck".

Associate
I am looking for an extra battery for my X121 but want a more economical option than a Lenovo original. Has anyone bought an aftermarket battery that works well?

Last edited:
Associate
Might be able to get a brand new one of these for my self for £300 with 4gb ram and i3 processeser.. have I done well or is that an okayish price?

Associate
I was also waiting for a Ivybridge refresh but have just ordered an I3 one. Decided getting an I3 now for £340 was a better deal overall than waiting and probably having to spend quite a bit more for the new model.

Associate
Has anyone tried to remove the "Lenovo Enhanced" or Windows 7 stickers? Did they leave marks? Not sure I like my wrist rests being cluttered up with badges.

cas

cas

Associate
Disappointed...

My X121e keeps shutting down after approximately 15 minutes of gaming (not a particularly demanding game: COD 4 with low settings). The room is air conditioned, and propping the back up makes no difference.

Event Log generates a very unhelpful 6008 (i.e. it doesn't know why it shutdown)

I've been logging the temperatures through speedfan, and they are running hot (93-99) so I'm guessing that the shutdown is caused by some form of thermal cut-out at 100C.

But if this is the case, it is disappointing... are the fans really not up to the task of moderate gaming?

I've not been using anything special to adjust / control the fans or try to make it quieter for normal usage.

Associate
My X121e keeps shutting down after approximately 15 minutes of gaming (not a particularly demanding game: COD 4 with low settings). The room is air conditioned, and propping the back up makes no difference.

Event Log generates a very unhelpful 6008 (i.e. it doesn't know why it shutdown)

I've been logging the temperatures through speedfan, and they are running hot (93-99) so I'm guessing that the shutdown is caused by some form of thermal cut-out at 100C.

But if this is the case, it is disappointing... are the fans really not up to the task of moderate gaming?

I've not been using anything special to adjust / control the fans or try to make it quieter for normal usage.

Sounds like you may need to do some house cleaning on your x121e, some compressed air into the inlet and HSF assembly should clear out any dust causing the system to overheat.

Also you may want to look into a cooling pad and also re-pasting the HSF on the CPU.

Regards.

C.

cas

cas

Associate
Thanks for the reply.

She's all clean on the HSF I'm afraid.

Temps under normal load are pretty much exactly as they were when I bought it... I hadn't tried running COD 4 until now, so I think it is a problem has always been there, rather than just developed.

Associate
Thanks for the reply.

She's all clean on the HSF I'm afraid.

Temps under normal load are pretty much exactly as they were when I bought it... I hadn't tried running COD 4 until now, so I think it is a problem has always been there, rather than just developed.

Ah right, l guess the only option's would be to either re-paste the HSF with a better quality compound (Lenovo may use a thermal pad? instead of a thermal compound like Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound or IC) and/or get a cooling pad Notebook Coolers and try setting to balanced in the power settings?

Regards.

C.

Last edited:

cas

cas

Associate
Thanks once again for the reply.

I think I may have to do that... but at the risk of sounding like a complainer I think that it is poor form that it will cook when it is operating as intended (i.e. normal ambient temperatures, not overclocked). A laptop cooler is not really practical for me to travel with either.

My apologies for sounding like a complainer, but I am disappointed on this one.

I'll see what happens when I get an opportunity to repaste. Thanks for the suggestions once again

Associate
Got the x121e six months ago and it's recently started playing up.

1. Sometimes when I press enter it adds a ~b at the end of the words instead of putting in a line break when writing text - or when using a browser etc it will add a b to the end of the search query or URL and the only way to 'enter' is to click on the arrow.
2. especially when typing in search queries in bing and I enter a space the screen turns upside down
3. backdelete often adds a swirly bracket

And then it's ok again.

And then it starts all over.

has the keyboard been displaced? is there a fix?
is it a sticky shift key that the computer thinks I'm holding down?

If I can get this issue sorted I'm otherwise happy with it - portable fully powerful laptop with netbook size, weight and battery life

Back
Top Bottom