Lepy vs Lepai

maj

maj

Soldato
I bought my Dad some Whardale 9.0's to use with his PC after he was impressed with my desktop setup here. Knowing he would need a t-amp, I did some research on a cheap but suitable one and came across the Lepai 2020A+ which came highly recommended but is no longer readily available in the uk. I then found the Lepy 2020A and 2024A+ which seem to be very similar in style and spec. Are these re-branded Lepai's? The 2020 being class D and the 2024 being a class T. Not knowing much about Tripath amps, I suggested he got the 2024 with it being a higher number and a 'T'. Was my logic correct? The amp works but I was expecting a bit more oomph from the amp as the volume dial does have to be turned up quite high to get the speakers loud. The amp only came with a 2A power supply so tempted to replace that with either a 5 or 6A one too.

Does anyone know anything about Lepy?

maj

maj

Soldato
OP
Lepy/Lepai are made by the same company. Class T is a reference to the Tripath chips used; they are both class D amplifiers. Only real difference is 2020 or 2024. IIRC, the 2020 is seen as preferable to the 2024, as it offers slightly better sound quality and slightly more power.

Wharedale's are 6 Ohm and 86dB sensitivity, which is not ideal for the lower output power of the 2024. Higher sensitivity speakers would a better match.

5A PSU might help, as 2A is not really enough I wouldn't have thought. With a higher ampere PSU, the amplifier will only take what it needs, but if it's too low, it will struggle.

Annoyingly I told him to cancel the 2020 order as I then found the 2024 which I incorrectly assumed would be the better one. Came from a third party seller so will probably cost to return it. I did also consider the SMSL series but if the Lepy worked then it would have saved a bit of money but when I consider the extra PSU, it's probably not too far off the price of the 36A which I maybe should have just got from the start.

I'm happy enough with the speakers providing I can get the right amp for them. At £40 I thought they might be worth a gamble for using them as PC speakers.

Decision to be made then. Keep the 2024 and get a better PSU, or return it and get the 2020 and still might need a better PSU. Alternatively bite the bullet and just get something altogether more powerful in the 36A.

Back
Top Bottom