Level 2 or level 3 survey?

Associate
I'm a first time buyer hoping to buy a 1930s 3 bedroom end terrace. There's a single story extension at the back which I think was done quite a while ago.

I've got several quotes. One is from a local surveyor who seems quite good, but only has availability for a level 2 survey at the moment. He seems to believe that a level 3 would be an overkill especially if the house is in a habitable condition. He's quoted £450.

I then have another quote for £675 for a level 3 building survey.

I'm leaning towards going with the level 2 survey especially since he can do it sooner, but just wanted to double check first.

We are hoping to put an opening in the internal wall of the extension, but I think I'd need a structural engineer to look at this and the level 3 survey wouldn't really help?

Last edited:
Do you know what the difference between a "level 2" and "level 3" valuation is?

That's seems a bit vague.

By the way I look at property valuation reports as part of my job and I've never heard the term before.

But as above, for the sake of £200 quid or whatever I'd probably go for a level 3, whatever that means..........maybe they give you the same information but in colour and laminated lol.

Level 2 is the home buyer report and level 3 is the building survey. I thought level 2 and level 3 was what they were referred to nowadays but could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom