LG 34GK950F vs Alienware AW3420DW

Man of Honour
I was pretty set on getting the LG 34GK950F until I just saw the Alienware AW3420DW. I wanted some opinions on which people felt was the best monitor.

They are around the same price although the Alienware is quite discounted now and the LG discount appears to have finished. I have a Radeon VII so on the face of it the LG would be the better choice due to Freesync and 144hz. I would probably be happy with the 120hz on the Alienware as I am coming from a 60hz monitor and don't yet know what I'm missing with Freesync as I've never had it.

I really love the look of the Alienware. It looks far more striking to me and would match my office fantastically with the black and white rather than black and red of the LG. The Dell build quality and support seems to be superior to LG. Is the 120hz vs 144hz and Freesync of the LG enough to override build quality and looks?

EDIT: ...also does the Alienware have an internal power supply or external power brick?

Associate
I was pretty set on getting the LG 34GK950F until I just saw the Alienware AW3420DW. I wanted some opinions on which people felt was the best monitor.

They are around the same price although the Alienware is quite discounted now and the LG discount appears to have finished. I have a Radeon VII so on the face of it the LG would be the better choice due to Freesync and 144hz. I would probably be happy with the 120hz on the Alienware as I am coming from a 60hz monitor and don't yet know what I'm missing with Freesync as I've never had it.

I really love the look of the Alienware. It looks far more striking to me and would match my office fantastically with the black and white rather than black and red of the LG. The Dell build quality and support seems to be superior to LG. Is the 120hz vs 144hz and Freesync of the LG enough to override build quality and looks?

EDIT: ...also does the Alienware have an internal power supply or external power brick?

I am in exactly the same situation. I did order the LG 34GK950F on Friday but wasn't guaranteed the Saturday delivery unfortunately due to how busy OCUK had been with Black Friday so I cancelled it.

The Alienware does have an internal PSU, so uses a kettle lead as normal. I also prefer the AW monitor, it uses the same panel as the LG as well. I did go on the Dell chat to ask if the monitor also supported Freesync for AMD GPU and he assured me it does, however I was not convinced. Need to wait for some reviews before making my mind up.

However as the LG is now back to £1149 it makes the Dell the better purchase i think.

Man of Honour
OP
I am in exactly the same situation. I did order the LG 34GK950F on Friday but wasn't guaranteed the Saturday delivery unfortunately due to how busy OCUK had been with Black Friday so I cancelled it.

The Alienware does have an internal PSU, so uses a kettle lead as normal. I also prefer the AW monitor, it uses the same panel as the LG as well. I did go on the Dell chat to ask if the monitor also supported Freesync for AMD GPU and he assured me it does, however I was not convinced. Need to wait for some reviews before making my mind up.

However as the LG is now back to £1149 it makes the Dell the better purchase i think.
Thanks for the PSU info. I'm assuming it does not have freesync.

I expect the LG will go on sale again soon, either at OcUK or elsewhere so not too worried about that. However just seen quidco offers an extra 7% cashback (only valid for another hour apparently) so I have to make a quick decision.

Last edited:
Associate
Both monitors use the same panel so on that front you'll probably be happy either way. I had this same dilemma over the last few weeks and just ordered the AW3420DW. The reasons being:
1. 120Hz vs 144Hz is not a big deal for me
2. 5 year advanced exchange warranty on the Dell (They send you a replacement monitor, you send your monitor back in that box when it arrives) vs 2 year warranty with the LG
3. Likely to have to play panel lottery to get one i'm happy with with no BLB etc, which might necessitate multiple returns. This is easy and free with Dell, but if I bought the LG via OcUK i'd have to pay a fair amount of money to return the monitor each time, and be without a monitor until the next one arrives.
4. I think the Alienware looks better design wise
5. Price when I bought the AW was ~£990, vs £899 for the LG (black friday sales for both)

Hope that helps you come to a decision either way. If the LG 38GL950G comes out in the next couple of weeks in the UK I think I will buy that and compare it to the AW3420DW, and return whichever I like less.

Man of Honour
OP
Both monitors use the same panel so on that front you'll probably be happy either way. I had this same dilemma over the last few weeks and just ordered the AW3420DW. The reasons being:
1. 120Hz vs 144Hz is not a big deal for me
2. 5 year advanced exchange warranty on the Dell (They send you a replacement monitor, you send your monitor back in that box when it arrives) vs 2 year warranty with the LG
3. Likely to have to play panel lottery to get one i'm happy with with no BLB etc, which might necessitate multiple returns. This is easy and free with Dell, but if I bought the LG via OcUK i'd have to pay a fair amount of money to return the monitor each time, and be without a monitor until the next one arrives.
4. I think the Alienware looks better design wise
5. Price when I bought the AW was ~£990, vs £899 for the LG (black friday sales for both)

Hope that helps you come to a decision either way. If the LG 38GL950G comes out in the next couple of weeks in the UK I think I will buy that and compare it to the AW3420DW, and return whichever I like less.
Thanks. Yes helpful although I'd probably stay with the standard 3yr warranty as it;s at the top of my budget for a monitor.

Man of Honour
OP
OK I had to make a quick decision to get the additional 7% cashback which will expire by midnight. So I went for the Dell despite it not having freesync. My current 12 year old monitor is a Dell and I've been very happy with it. I may regret not having freesync at some point but I don't have it now and tend to run games with vsync off anyway. 120hz will be more than enough and I love the design of it, especially as I have a white desk in a white office :)

After cashback it will be £952. I might call them tomorrow to increase the warranty but as mentioned by @Minato one of the strengths of even the basic 3 year warranty is being able to simply call them and swap it out at no cost. A lot of money but I don't regret spending a similar amount on my current Dell 3007 12 years ago. Most of the money was also a gift from my (late) mum for my birthday this year as she knew I wanted a new monitor at some point. I promised her I'd spend it on a monitor and she passed away a couple of weeks ago so I was adamant I would.

The only fly in the ointment right now is I don't actually have a gaming PC as the motherboard died a few months ago (currently using my old Thinkpad!).

Last edited:
Caporegime
Personally given the hassle some people have had with LG's warranty returns (return it and be without a monitor while it's being repaired) and the amazing monitor warranty you get with Dell (they delivery one and then you return the broken one within 2 weeks AFAIK) and the minimal cost to extend the warranty, if the extra 24Hz doesn't matter to you and you can get the 3420 close to the LG price then I'd favour the Alienware.

And condolences to you for your loss @Hades :(

Man of Honour
OP
Personally given the hassle some people have had with LG's warranty returns (return it and be without a monitor while it's being repaired) and the amazing monitor warranty you get with Dell (they delivery one and then you return the broken one within 2 weeks AFAIK) and the minimal cost to extend the warranty, if the extra 24Hz doesn't matter to you and you can get the 3420 close to the LG price then I'd favour the Alienware.

It was the painless return/fix/swap policy that swung it in the Dell's favour.

And condolences to you for your loss @Hades :(

Thank you.

Soldato
I didn’t realise the new Alienware was already this cheap!!! I might get one myself!!

I’ll mirror the condolences mate. As it’s something that’s ‘meaningful’ as well as practical, you’ll definitely get more peace of mind from the AW warranty and exchange policy.

Hope you really enjoy it mate :)

Man of Honour
OP
I didn’t realise the new Alienware was already this cheap!!! I might get one myself!!

I’ll mirror the condolences mate. As it’s something that’s ‘meaningful’ as well as practical, you’ll definitely get more peace of mind from the AW warranty and exchange policy.

Hope you really enjoy it mate :)
Thank you. I appreciate it. Funeral this Weds :(

Associate
I've just started looking into building a rig and stumbled across the Alienware as I was searching, then this forum (so joined) ... It does look pretty damn decent and some good reviews.

I do like LG Panels but for circa ~£850, the Alienware looks the business indeed!

Associate
I bought the AW and I have no regrets. The build quality is top notch and you cannot ignore the warranty. I did get the extra 2 years added on because if I am going to pay 1k for a monitor then I want a good warranty to back it up.

The LG is a great unit but their customer service/warranty leaves a lot to be desired.

Associate
Hades, are you running an AMD GPU? If so I will be really interested to see if it does work with AMD Freesync as the Dell rep assured me it does. I have now ordered one but I am using a 2080ti but I really wanted the option of AMD Freesync just in case I do go from Green to Red in the future.

Would have been great if you could just disable the Gsync then the monitor had the option or 144hz Freesync. I can but hope :)

Man of Honour
OP
Hades, are you running an AMD GPU? If so I will be really interested to see if it does work with AMD Freesync as the Dell rep assured me it does. I have now ordered one but I am using a 2080ti but I really wanted the option of AMD Freesync just in case I do go from Green to Red in the future.

Would have been great if you could just disable the Gsync then the monitor had the option or 144hz Freesync. I can but hope :)
I am using an AMD GPU. But the rest of my system is dead and I have new parts arriving this week. The likelihood is that you will get it up and running before me. But I will check it later this week when I finally get everything running.

Associate
I am using an AMD GPU. But the rest of my system is dead and I have new parts arriving this week. The likelihood is that you will get it up and running before me. But I will check it later this week when I finally get everything running.

Brilliant thankyou. Mine should arrive tomorrow, although it's not showing as dispatched yet.

Back
Top Bottom