LG 35WN75C

I'm have the same requirements. Looking to replace my single 24inch monitor and laptop on stand with a single ultrawide and laptop off the desk/closed.

There's limited reviews of the unit you mention, but found one here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkf2HlxtAPQ

Looks like it will do up to 94W power delivery/charging via USB C and i *think* with this connected, you can charge your laptop + accept video + turn the monitor into USB hub with the additional 2x USB 3.0 ports on the monitor which is what I'm looking for.

Still unclear to me what the benefit of thunderbolt 3 is over this USB-C connection - do you know?

The only 34 ultrawide curved I can find with Thunderbolt 3 is the Samsung CJ791.

Haha yes I saw that video too, shame no one else has done something a bit more in depth. It does seem OK from the video but I guess won’t know for sure until I see it in real life.

I believe the advantage of Thunderbolt 3 over regular USB-C is speed/bandwidth, so it can push more data quicker.

Looks like it will do up to 94W power delivery/charging via USB C and i *think* with this connected, you can charge your laptop + accept video + turn the monitor into USB hub with the additional 2x USB 3.0 ports on the monitor which is what I'm looking for.

My understanding is that yes it can do exactly this.

Another LG I’m considering is this https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34wn80c-b-ultrawide-monitor it’s an IPS panel rather than VA and it has a higher colour depth. Disadvantages are that it’s 60hz and 60w on the PD. I am leaning more towards the 35WN75C due to the refresh rate and power but I just don’t know if the VA panel is “worse” than the IPS panel in other respects.

The only LG I could find with IPS panel, Thunderbolt 3, 90w PD and greater than 60hz is this https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-38WN95C-W but it’s the wrong side of £1k.

I believe the advantage of Thunderbolt 3 over regular USB-C is speed/bandwidth, so it can push more data quicker.

So for the limited use case of charging + video + usb hub(mouse & kb) duties, would the single USB-C be sufficient? It would be good to get some input from an owner of one of these screens.

Another LG I’m considering is this https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34wn80c-b-ultrawide-monitor it’s an IPS panel rather than VA and it has a higher colour depth. Disadvantages are that it’s 60hz and 60w on the PD. I am leaning more towards the 35WN75C due to the refresh rate and power but I just don’t know if the VA panel is “worse” than the IPS panel in other respects.
I'm slightly put off by the VA panels, purely because I haven't had one before. I remember moving from TN to IPS (which I've got now) and it was a huge leap in performance for my taste. As I understand, VA sits somewhere in between.

I did just pop into currys and take a look at the Samsung - it looked OK but the matte screen (possibly the VA panel played a part) looked a bit dull compared to some of the IPS monitors next to it - it's also quite hard to get a feel for it looking at a 20 second clip playing on repeat. Would like to see what the LGs look like in the flesh...

Most of the laptops I'm looking at have 65W chargers, so the 60W would be slightly underpowered - not sure if this is an issue in real terms.

So for the limited use case of charging + video + usb hub(mouse & kb) duties, would the single USB-C be sufficient? It would be good to get some input from an owner of one of these screens.

I believe it should be enough to do this, you’ll only really need Thunderbolt if running external hard drives off it.

Most of the laptops I'm looking at have 65W chargers, so the 60W would be slightly underpowered - not sure if this is an issue in real terms.

It would only be an issue if you’re maxing out the load on the laptop, for regular usage it should be fine. I’d prefer to have the 90W+ PD because that would allow me to run a more powerful laptop later down the line, either personal or for work.

In the office we’ve got Dell IPS monitors and they seem fine, they’re 8 bit colour (16.7m) which is the same as the LG VA panel but like you say because I’ve not had a VA panel before I wonder if it won’t look as nice. It could also be that the IPS panels you saw were 10 bit (1 bill colour) and that may have played a part?

Speaking of Dell I also considered the U3419W which is 10 bit and does 90W PD, however it’s “only” 60hz. But it’s main issue is that it’s out of my budget :p.

I’m tempted to take a punt on the 35WN75C but it’s going to be a pain to return if it’s not satisfactory, but then again to get the monitor I really want I’d need to up my budget substantially so maybe I just need to accept the compromise...

I found this unboxing on YouTube which isn’t in English but the comments seem to suggest it is G-sync compatible if anyone is interested. It’s not exactly concrete confirmation but certainly makes this an interesting option.

https://youtu.be/5u8V-XLUK4o

Would like to see a proper review to understand whether the VA panel is up to snuff. “Only” being 100Hz might be acceptable for my use case (casual gaming) IF the panel is decent.

Speaking of Dell I also considered the U3419W which is 10 bit and does 90W PD, however it’s “only” 60hz. But it’s main issue is that it’s out of my budget :p.

I’m tempted to take a punt on the 35WN75C but it’s going to be a pain to return if it’s not satisfactory, but then again to get the monitor I really want I’d need to up my budget substantially so maybe I just need to accept the compromise...

I looked at (and was trying to avoid due to price) that Dell. Both that and LG 34WN80C are IPS @ 60hz, the dell has the upper hand with the 90W PD vs 60W from the LG. I think thats my shortlist, will let you know which way I go.

My gaming days are numbered so 60HZ is ok for me. If you're into gaming, I guess you have to go VA panel for the higher refresh rate + USB C convenience. Otherwise an IPS like Acer Predator x34/Asus Rog Swift or Acer Nitro but none have USB C.

Good luck with the hunt.

Yeah my gaming days are gone but I’m hoping maybe I can squeeze in the odd hour here or there. I used to game fine at 60hz to be fair, I’m more interested in having a buttery smooth UI.

I did order the LG 35WN75C in the end so will let you know how I get on.

Yeah my gaming days are gone but I’m hoping maybe I can squeeze in the odd hour here or there. I used to game fine at 60hz to be fair, I’m more interested in having a buttery smooth UI.

I did order the LG 35WN75C in the end so will let you know how I get on.

If you get opportunity to test G-Sync that would be greatly appreciated!

Well it arrived this morning but I’ve had no time to even unbox it, let alone fire it up. Will let you know my thoughts once I’ve been able to use it.

Initial thought from the box, I wonder if I could have gone bigger, like 38” maybe. Will see how I feel once it’s on a desk.

Well it arrived this morning but I’ve had no time to even unbox it, let alone fire it up. Will let you know my thoughts once I’ve been able to use it.

Initial thought from the box, I wonder if I could have gone bigger, like 38” maybe. Will see how I feel once it’s on a desk.

look forward to hearing your thoughts. I was looking at 38”+ units originally but there doesn’t appear to be any (1440p+) options above 60Hz that don’t cost a small fortune.

Just checking in to say I had my first full day using it today. Tomorrow I’ll take a couple of pictures and post some more thoughts on it.

So far I’ve only used it for work, not had any time for games yet. The display so far seems really nice, just trying to think back to the IPS displays back in the office and to me the image quality is just as good. The 21:9 aspect ratio combined with the resolution gives a nice crisp image with plenty of space to work with multiple windows, or applications with multiple tool windows. I’ll try and watch some videos on YouTube to see if the colours on those look as expected but so far I don’t have any reason to suspect they won’t.

Now I probably need to have more time with it to confirm this but I do feel that the viewing angles aren’t as good as an IPS panel, which isn’t a problem when you’re sat in the driving seat. For an office environment I think the LG 34WN80C might be better, if you need to be able to show someone your screen and they’re unlikely to be sat dead on. Also if you regularly have an audience when gaming then perhaps an IPS panel would be better. So far for my usage in a home office the viewing angles aren’t causing a problem, and to be fair I wasn’t scientific in testing this :p so I could have been at an extreme angle.

The included monitor stand is actually pretty good, I had bought a monitor arm but now contemplating returning it. It doesn’t seem to wobble at all when I type but unsure if that’s more to do with the desk, or if it’s a bit of both. What surprised me is that the stand isn’t as heavy as I thought it would be, I’ve certainly had heavier stands on smaller monitors.

USB-C is great if you have a laptop, really convenient to run the display and get power from a single cable.

In terms of the size I think 34”/35” is a good point to be at, 38” could also work well but I wonder if the edges would be too much into your peripheral vision. I guess it also depends how close you are sat to it.

So yeah those are my initial thoughts after a day of use :)

Just checking in to say I had my first full day using it...

...So yeah those are my initial thoughts after a day of use :)

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds promising. If you get opportunity to have a go at some video or gaming please let us know how the contrast looks and SL whether you notice anything akin to “smearing” of the image. If you have an Nvidia card would also be great to know if it’s G-sync compatible. Even at 75Hz the VRR would be beneficial. Thanks again!

Thanks for sharing, sounds like so far so good.

I flip flopped a bit with my requirements (after your buttery smooth UI comment :D) and bought the Samsung C34J791 to test it out. The viewing angles haven't been a problem for me as I'm sat dead on most of the time, but it is noticable when moving away from the monitor in comparison to IPS. It's ticking the boxes in terms of size - I think any bigger would be a bit overbearing, especially with the extra height.

My desk is from made.com and a bit more style over substance - it does have a bit of wobble and this does make the screen wobble a little too. I might just stick it on the wall (an adapter was included) or move to a new desk, have been thinking about a height adjustable.

Colours seem good so far, I feel I've got future proofing with the thunderbolt 3 (my current laptop has thunderbolt 1) and the cable tidy in the stand is quite neat.

I managed to nab it for £549 - the next day, it went up to £729 in Currys and looks to be OOS on Amazon now.

Just checking in to say I had my first full day using it today. Tomorrow I’ll take a couple of pictures and post some more thoughts on it.

So far I’ve only used it for work, not had any time for games yet. The display so far seems really nice, just trying to think back to the IPS displays back in the office and to me the image quality is just as good. The 21:9 aspect ratio combined with the resolution gives a nice crisp image with plenty of space to work with multiple windows, or applications with multiple tool windows. I’ll try and watch some videos on YouTube to see if the colours on those look as expected but so far I don’t have any reason to suspect they won’t.

Now I probably need to have more time with it to confirm this but I do feel that the viewing angles aren’t as good as an IPS panel, which isn’t a problem when you’re sat in the driving seat. For an office environment I think the LG 34WN80C might be better, if you need to be able to show someone your screen and they’re unlikely to be sat dead on. Also if you regularly have an audience when gaming then perhaps an IPS panel would be better. So far for my usage in a home office the viewing angles aren’t causing a problem, and to be fair I wasn’t scientific in testing this :p so I could have been at an extreme angle.

The included monitor stand is actually pretty good, I had bought a monitor arm but now contemplating returning it. It doesn’t seem to wobble at all when I type but unsure if that’s more to do with the desk, or if it’s a bit of both. What surprised me is that the stand isn’t as heavy as I thought it would be, I’ve certainly had heavier stands on smaller monitors.

USB-C is great if you have a laptop, really convenient to run the display and get power from a single cable.

In terms of the size I think 34”/35” is a good point to be at, 38” could also work well but I wonder if the edges would be too much into your peripheral vision. I guess it also depends how close you are sat to it.

So yeah those are my initial thoughts after a day of use :)

Hi - have you had some time to game on the monitor? Any comments?

Back
Top Bottom