LG 38GN950-B

Associate
OP
Yea a 2080 can barely push out enough fps especially in bf v that's the only problem but that will be fixed soon when the 3080 comes out ;)
even in call of duty with much on low / medium textures its 90-120 mostly. with a new high end card it will all run a lot smoother. if you buy an expensive monitor like this be sure to also have an high end pc.

Soldato
Yea a 2080 can barely push out enough fps especially in bf v that's the only problem but that will be fixed soon when the 3080 comes out ;)
even in call of duty with much on low / medium textures its 90-120 mostly. with a new high end card it will all run a lot smoother. if you buy an expensive monitor like this be sure to also have an high end pc.

What do you reckon about this? https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33757025

Says monitor is not nearly as smooth as a GSYNC module version and that it has flickering with local dimming enabled.

Soldato
Ah so you have it on low/medium then?

Could you also answer Tephnos question too?

Thanks bud.

Would be great if you could do a CoD video with full settings to see how the gsync works at the lower end...

Associate
OP
What do you reckon about this? https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33757025

Says monitor is not nearly as smooth as a GSYNC module version and that it has flickering with local dimming enabled.

Simple turn local dimming off it doesn't have much use anyway(onlyhdr), flickering is the wrong word it doesn't flicker. ofcource you can see it work on a dark screen... but it never flickers you just see the birghtness move.

(and in real dark movies and hdr you can see the backlight dim an brighten a lot you could call that flicker there, but you can manage that in the osd with variable backlight setting you can either turn that one off or on slow medium and fast. ) so yes there are two setting for the backlight when hdr is on ( and this all apply only for hdr )

And i would say the gsync competible is just as good as normal gsync. it functions the same and no tearing. A lot of people don't even set it up correctly or have it really on at all. you need vsync + gsync on in the driver and limit the fps a few below the max hz so lets say 157 when you use 160hz
if you haven't played before with gsync yet, its soo much smoother and lower inputlag than even 300+ unlocked fps with no sync. A lot of people don't know you must have v-sync + G-Sync on in the driver and lock the fps ingame to a few fps below 160hz zo 157fps. then you always have the fastest response / lowest input lag. Check the right column in this video --> https://youtu.be/L42nx6ubpfg?t=826 2nd to last result in the gtx 1060 row and compare to the other results.

also people tend to forget to tick the box at nr3. with a gsync competible screen ---> https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/454607147221778434/731974040411177101/unknown.png
i don't recall having to turn that on with a "real"screen but i might be wrong just did a fresh install today everything is fine here dough nothing to do with the monitor juist win10 builds over and over wanted a fresh one.
there are no problems or flaws with this monitor here.

And playing with a low fps on a screen like this is pretty useless imho you gonne need a 3080 or 3080ti for this. if you dont want that its better too buy the 34gn950 imho

And again this screen never flickers with or without gsync. its time tftcentral or somebody who measures this reviews this.

and yes YOU NEED VSYNC ON + GSYNC ON this is how its made to function. and cap the fps a few below max hz.

here are the results https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/454607147221778434/731938463397576855/unknown.png check the bottom 3 on the 1060 row. this is test was on a gsync competible screen.

its so funny how little people know their stuff.

Last edited:
Soldato
Excellent stuff mate. Saw another guy in the monitors discord who also said their 38WN95C GSYNC-compatible works just as good as their x34p which is true GSYNC as well.

Really wish reviewers would start picking up this panel, for sure.

Still, I'd love for someone to give personal impressions of low Hz content like emulators just to see how the overshoot performance is at 30/60Hz).

Soldato
Excellent stuff mate. Saw another guy in the monitors discord who also said their 38WN95C GSYNC-compatible works just as good as their x34p which is true GSYNC as well.

Really wish reviewers would start picking up this panel, for sure.

Still, I'd love for someone to give personal impressions of low Hz content like emulators just to see how the overshoot performance is at 30/60Hz).

Yep I would like to know this too.
But to be honest... at that level, why would you have Gsync on?
Most emulator games are not going to be too taxing in terms of screen tearing at the like?

Soldato
Yep I would like to know this too.
But to be honest... at that level, why would you have Gsync on?
Most emulator games are not going to be too taxing in terms of screen tearing at the like?

Because it still smooths out low Hz content in terms of lag, and for games that run at weird framerates (like 57Hz) it completely eliminates motion judder.

Associate
Would it be fair to say, that if i'm running a 9700k + 2080, i'm better of waiting until i upgrade to a 3080/90. Reason being, i wouldn't be able to comfortable hit 100+ fps and the benefit of the screen would be lost?

Associate
Nik I called the OCUK customer support who confirmed no word from your suppliers on this. Do you have any information please?

not ideal :( I bought it from preorder 2 weeks ago and I have been in talk with their support since. Apparently they had a 13th of July date on their system and nos it’s delayed. They told me if the monitor didn’t show up yesterday or today I should try them again by the end of the week and they would have more answers.

Associate
I messaged support earlier today and was told they're expecting to receive the stock "in the next week or so". So I shall have to contain my excitement for a little while longer... :(

Associate
hey guys,

can anyone with this screen and an nvidia card test if gsync works for "windowed fullscreen" for example in modern warfare? i'm asking because i had the 34" version 34GN850 (i think) and i had tearing in Black Desert Online when playing in anything other than exclusive fullscreen.

cheers

Associate
Can you explain why you want Vsync on w/ G-Sync?

Doing my research online says the reason is for when the refresh rate goes higher than the monitor's maximum refresh rate, it will kick in. Where as G-sync will kick in, within the monitors refresh rate range.

If I cap my frame rates to @ or below the native refresh rate, then wouldn't V-sync be pointless because my frames would never exceed the monitors max?

Also, I'm reading you turn V-sync off in game, but on in Windows. This is very confusing.

Associate
38GN950-B "black stain" defect (center of photo). When changing viewing angle I can tell the "stain" is a few layers deep and not near the surface. What is this called? Guess I'll be returning to costco :/
a1CVEFuLeuVrZtPyyGFN-8A1NWY_ku1-EQIaMtTQOy6q2omHkC_0G5d-PVgh_sA9xz-1fK75_rGbQLuPb4fLId-XBYUzITh016AZTcuIh3maiSONRwWzPp1Xsw1UX4VGOgjiYt8AwpMFGLssiECMJ7G07iP_JSW1ixGaiiFxOYz2d9ouO7FIeQKeIfB_ydtvl7L0iupYHGrux99cHy9yEzrrjl85ZjM6TSjtop7tbvDivUxoMnUrIQCf7oB4EKIzoqovddxL2Jxdw-Q4-r97ixREn3F1gGjlxgfEVCYbQXnXLNHX7fqGBRW7HJAdx5EXtlW2ZOXqKQNBRSNQ2jWe8OjGMx_oupUko23TA5FYQieTRhN7_uT2NEfm4UAmNs_RsQr0Cm1M7wb1GwamdodjfR7flltWukrahi1eLRThGkouL5x6XHUZky4VRXFw0JSI7HDI7TS6kmPrhSGN4rg9XTO7hM61_Wlf6XyCV5p3bq1wr8itwNl8Ux_9aVCGQcnN9m5wn6wUD3r3VEpr26ApGo2pidJgBNl-724or27gMO_O_ighEMUNco0gmQCr-ea21dpBeqfsJk8GB27WBrXFeTLfipNAfcd1d3vFCkkdYa-04shMOSOez2NmukD-6B-Gw1cEzXsjK5olDwvBbkyqdVbM7COlK02GysxmPyRV8-5TeX0oDaOJ7UtcnR_kow=w861-h1530-no

Back
Top Bottom