LG 42-inch OLED

Associate
Wow that was quick!

I just saw this exact thing on a thread on AVForum, user had a couple of those bright spots. Said they ran the pixel refresher and they were gone.

Pixel refresher sorted it out so happy days. Looks like I will be keeping this one as it’s the best out of the three uniformity wise.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Might be that I'm not used to OLED, but I found OLED 80 which is the default was best for me, can't say I've seen it wash out any details but I'm also in a fairly well lit room.

Getting the settings right is tricky, even sometimes when I think I have it nailed down I get it wrong.

You might be fine with OLED 80 default, but for SDR and say a dark room some recommend 25 or bit more even.

HDR content always uses OLED 100 brightness which is normal.

One thing that makes getting picture settings correct complicated even with the LG is you have to set it up for SDR, HDR 10, Dolby Vision. Sometimes if I try a different tv series or film sometimes game mode pops up despite it being an HDR 10 source and telling it to always use filmmaker mode and also having it applied to all settings and saved.

Phil from AVF is doing a new C2 settings guide video but he said you can use the C1 one its pretty much the same here:

Remember you have to play a suitable source then do the settings so for example, only fools and horses tv episode for SDR. Pacific Rim for HDR 10, Avengers infinity war off off Marvel in Dolby Vision etc

Edit: just played a bit around with settings, something off with my TV picture settings so still need to fine tweak it to get the details right!

Last edited:
Associate
Pixel refresher sorted it out so happy days. Looks like I will be keeping this one as it’s the best out of the three uniformity wise.

Awesome glad to hear. Hoping I don't have as many duds when mine comes this weekend, can't imagine mr lewis being as fast and cooperative about returns/trying multiple models. But fingers crossed.

Associate
How about a pic of the uniformity after the refresh.
Sure.
So the red tint is still there this time on the right but to a much lesser degree.

0-C727278-14-B2-4037-BB19-EBA0-C2-FC0-D77.jpg

Associate
Awesome glad to hear. Hoping I don't have as many duds when mine comes this weekend, can't imagine mr lewis being as fast and cooperative about returns/trying multiple models. But fingers crossed.
Absolutely can’t fault them one bit and they were very apologetic when swapping TVs as if it was their fault lol. Hopefully yours will be fine and won’t have to go through what I have.
When I saw that bright spot on the third one that got me properly ****** off but luckily ended up not being too much of an issue.

Associate
@R3X I'd seen that video and was basing my settings of that but found that OLED 25/55 was to dark, I also changed the aspect ratio from 16:9 to Original which is missed in that particular video. I also found a page on the LG website where they recommend using OLED 80 specifically, but can't find it now, I'll add a link when I do.

Associate
@R3X I'd seen that video and was basing my settings of that but found that OLED 25/55 was to dark, I also changed the aspect ratio from 16:9 to Original which is missed in that particular video. I also found a page on the LG website where they recommend using OLED 80 specifically, but can't find it now, I'll add a link when I do.

this is the only recommend using OLED 80 specifically by LG
https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-...lg-4k-or-4k-oled-tv-CT10000018-20150577528034

Absolutely can’t fault them one bit and they were very apologetic when swapping TVs as if it was their fault lol. Hopefully yours will be fine and won’t have to go through what I have.
When I saw that bright spot on the third one that got me properly ****** off but luckily ended up not being too much of an issue.

You're always going to get a panel lottery:)

Last edited:
Associate
really don't like this thing.
this third panel might be most uniform on near black but whites are pink in the middle and green/blue on both sides especially right.
bright colours are the same.
will try to return it after all and forget about this display all together.

R3X

R3X

Soldato

Cheers for that link, yeah I too have gone from phils video but I also checked Vincents own one and hes almost the same but takes down the sharpness to 0
from 10.

I think like Phil and vincents video suggest 80 oled light is not good for SDR, 25 is apparently the right one or was for the C1 series it gives 100nitts. Think the C1 defaults @ 25 oled light also for SDR.

https://youtu.be/beLpj1a0o5A?t=225

If memorys correct 4K HDR and DV OLED light defaults to 100

could be wrong on the above though, I know in the past many recommended just set to filmmaker mode and leave it all on defaults (SDR,HDR,DV) and just adjust the oled light to something your eyes enjoy, but I find details missing in blacks so need to increase Black level to 60-70 even, this could be why some just suggested use your own settings since we all prefer different things as in no ones right or wrong.

Associate
Cheers for that link, yeah I too have gone from phils video but I also checked Vincents own one and hes almost the same but takes down the sharpness to 0
from 10. I think like Phil and vincents video suggest 80 oled light is not good for SDR, 25 is apparently the right one or was for the C1 series it gives 100nitts. Think the C1 defaults @ 25 oled light also for SDR.

https://youtu.be/beLpj1a0o5A?t=225

If memorys correct 4K HDR and DV OLED light defaults to 100

could be wrong on the above though, I know in the past many recommended just set to filmmaker mode and leave it all on defaults (SDR,HD SR,DV) and just adjust the oled light to something your eyes enjoy, but I find details missing in blacks so need to increase Black level to 60-70 even, this could be why some just suggested use your own settings since we all prefer different things as in no ones right or wrong.

I have 30 for SDR gaming I just don't want to wear sunglasses for HDR gaming

Soldato

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Seems some people have been able to get hands on with the Sony version, abit briefly: https://www.t3.com/news/ive-seen-sony-and-lgs-42-inch-oled-tvs-and-here-are-their-highs-and-lows

Seems it can get brighter, abit just one opinion and glance of the tv. I expect being master series and cherry picked if I recall with that series will be the better panel wise, more so if they get gaming features up to snuff, abit at a price I expect.

Figures Sony would have looked into the brightness issue, that thermal management feature sounds interesting there were rumours of a heatsink on it also but different people got different replies when asked. Value electronics that US store were told Sonys 42 and 48" should get the heatsink but other media said nope.

Yeah Sony masterclass get the best quality panels lucky sods, there was one german site that had it on pre-order for May/June but it was £1750 once converted. I think @ 1.2k the C2 is far better value but lets see if its got a heatsink or much better brightness.

LGs Pixel density problem doesn't appear to be an issue for QD-OLEDs either.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I have 30 for SDR gaming I just don't want to wear sunglasses for HDR gaming

Yeah 30 sounds good for SDR.

I was playing around a bit more with settings, I was getting confused with HD and HDR content. So its SD, HD, HDR and then Dolby Vision content I need to find and then fine tune and apply for all hdmi sources.

I think I am ending up with a hybrid of Phils and Vincents and my own settings at this point.

What is your black levels? I found 50 default was no good for me on HD and HDR so tried 57 to fix it but need to check this bit more.

Soldato
Yeah 30 sounds good for SDR.

I was playing around a bit more with settings, I was getting confused with HD and HDR content. So its SD, HD, HDR and then Dolby Vision content I need to find and then fine tune and apply for all hdmi sources.

I think I am ending up with a hybrid of Phils and Vincents and my own settings at this point.

What is your black levels? I found 50 default was no good for me on HD and HDR so tried 57 to fix it but need to check this bit more.
HD doesn't have much to do with HDR.

SD 480p, HD 720/1080, UHD 2160p, all not relevant to colour and dynamic range.

It's rare but you can find low resolution content in high dynamic range. Best to stick to SDR, HDR, Dolby Vision IMO.

Back
Top Bottom