LG 42-inch OLED

R3X

R3X

Soldato
@R3X I knew some settings had to do with the black details. I mean, on my VA mnitor which I currently use shows all the details in dark scenes whereas those details were no present when I still had the 42C2. Crushed blacks?

Yes someone did get back to me it is crushed blacks issue that I have as you say, he did attempt to advise me to try some settings to fix it (white balance points) but I could not find those exact settings.

I will have to keep digging and asking till I get some concrete answers, its quite possible my 42" C2 is faulty, I can't imagine black scenes would be that bad and pitch black but they are on my screen and maybe upping the black level a bit is not a good fix but no one else has confirmed it yet. Got 3 more weeks to figure it out at least.

Its a shame it was the flicker that was causing your headache, but sadly it does something effect some users they really do need to address these issues.

Associate
Did you enable 21:9 or 32:9 in wide aspect ratio in picture settings area of game optimiser first? Once you do that, the resolutions then pop up in Nvidia control panel, otherwise do not show by default.
No I didn’t as I didn’t know you had to enable it in settings.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Thought I’m going to show pictures of all my oleds displaying same website. All TVs are in game mode.
They all look to have different colour due to different lighting conditions and how white balance works in cameras but what we are comparing is uniformity.

6 years old 55” B6 with at last 12000 hours on it:
EFEAA507-2873-49-AA-AB58-08-A46-AD29-DF2.jpg

2 years old 55” BX used mainly for PC/PS5 gaming:
CCA9-ACB3-CCAA-4336-8-DD6-459-D55-B40-E05.jpg

And the new 42” C2:
57-A0-CF76-77-EE-4-BC0-A409-0-E8-EF02-F5-C13.jpg

Really does look poor in comparison to the lower end budget OLED panels from years ago. I had pretty bad blue tint also on both sides but now when I run 100% white video the blues have kind of gone towards the edges of the screen left and right, its not something I notice now.

I still get a pink tint on the right hand side at an sharp angle also.

I found this neat video to test whites, grays, uniformity's, clouding, banding etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIJxh9UGyak

Also this ones good for showing tints and other colour uniformity issues from AVS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgfR4LJEgVI

I still have yet to figure out if my black issue which is 'Crushed blacks' is an actual fault of my TV or just settings, so even mine might go back faulty.

Associate
Smart move buddy
OLED 42 is where it's at. And you can allways do UW - on the C2, you dont even need to dick around creating custom UW res :D

Been front and back on this vs the AW, but damn, how much I love the new QD Oled and 175hz, I just cant swollow the damn tiny vertical space. Tried gaming again on my PG279Q but it's so Disgusting small. No way in hell I will get the AW34 - just cant get immersed, and frankly im no lover of UW format eaiter.

Some games as MK8 on my CX55 is great. But that just as Nintendo use such disgusting lov FOV - more then others consol crap, that Allways have fov like 50. On pc one just up the FOV high and 16:9 is by then totaly unbeatable for immersion!

Say for example your game won't run at good FPS at 4k but dropping Res would give u a crap DPI of u made a custom res say 1440p would it stretch to full screen or be black bars around and could be a decent ppi

I play escape from FPS mostly escape tarkov which won't run at 4k but looks quite crap even at 1440p on a 32 with about 92 ppi just wondering how it would translate to this screen.

Associate
OP
Yes someone did get back to me it is crushed blacks issue that I have as you say, he did attempt to advise me to try some settings to fix it (white balance points) but I could not find those exact settings.

I will have to keep digging and asking till I get some concrete answers, its quite possible my 42" C2 is faulty, I can't imagine black scenes would be that bad and pitch black but they are on my screen and maybe upping the black level a bit is not a good fix but no one else has confirmed it yet. Got 3 more weeks to figure it out at least.

Its a shame it was the flicker that was causing your headache, but sadly it does something effect some users they really do need to address these issues.
Yeah, it immediatly caught my attention why a lot of details were missing when I still had the 42C2. I could bump up some settings but they usually do not do good like the grey will increase.
I mean, have you ever bumped up the brightness level on tv's before and then you saw the picture gets uglier? Like that.

And who have to address these issues? The users themself or manufacturers?

Associate
Say for example your game won't run at good FPS at 4k but dropping Res would give u a crap DPI of u made a custom res say 1440p would it stretch to full screen or be black bars around and could be a decent ppi

I play escape from FPS mostly escape tarkov which won't run at 4k but looks quite crap even at 1440p on a 32 with about 92 ppi just wondering how it would translate to this screen.

You can have it do either :) I find some games are perfectly fine at 1440p at the full 42 inches, especially if I'm sat back with a controller it can be hard to tell the difference between 1440p and 4K once you're back far enough (also you tend to forget once you've been playing a little while anyway).

But then you can also have 1440p with black bars around, so that it's pixel perfect, and I believe it's a 28" screen size then. Both work great, choice is up to you.

Soldato

Comparing it more to my C9, the same scene does look better on C9 So I do think the 42 is crushing some black depending on content. Though C9 looks brighter in same scene so possibly black level is raised across the board. Fortunately not an issue in 99% of content for moi.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Yeah, it immediatly caught my attention why a lot of details were missing when I still had the 42C2. I could bump up some settings but they usually do not do good like the grey will increase.
I mean, have you ever bumped up the brightness level on tv's before and then you saw the picture gets uglier? Like that.

And who have to address these issues? The users themself or manufacturers?

Yeah that is my exact concern, getting greyish blacks obviously you lose out on those inky blacks.

I still have very good blacks but they are a tad grey now, maybe its an fault or fixable with tv calibration or better settings although they did say the LG was meant to be excellent out of the box, clearly not for some though.

This would be quite a pickle since there is nothing on the market remotely close to this LG 42 C2, maybe the Sony will be better.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Comparing it more to my C9, the same scene does look better on C9 So I do think the 42 is crushing some black depending on content. Though C9 looks brighter in same scene so possibly black level is raised across the board. Fortunately not an issue in 99% of content for moi.

Cheers for checking, its a weird one for sure it is apparently fixable with some white balance fine tuning but even with playing around the settings I ain't having much luck might fiddle around some more later on.

Associate
You can have it do either :) I find some games are perfectly fine at 1440p at the full 42 inches, especially if I'm sat back with a controller it can be hard to tell the difference between 1440p and 4K once you're back far enough (also you tend to forget once you've been playing a little while anyway).

But then you can also have 1440p with black bars around, so that it's pixel perfect, and I believe it's a 28" screen size then. Both work great, choice is up to you.

Cheers bud im on the fence atm about buying one i do have the qd oled alienware but its broke so awaiting an exchange which could take months

Associate
So today I went to curry’s and purchased 48” C2 for £999.
Got home powered it on and uniformity is definitely better and it’s using the new EX panel as I found out by going to service menu.
Will wall mount it to compensate for bigger size to some extent.

Soldato
Whatever happened to the days of actually getting what you pay for?! This is a premium product that you have to pay a premium price for.

Having all issues described above just shouldn't be a thing, the TV is simply not what has been advertised.

Associate
Anyone ever gotten a nausea/motion sickness feeling when you’ve switched to an OLED as a monitor?

Had my 42” for a few days now using it for work, and get a noticeably nauseous feeling fairly quickly after I start using it. No headaches as such.

Got a new bigger desk on the way as I am definitely too close currently (60cm deep desk), so could very well be that since I’ve never had it with my CX living room TV which I’m much further away from.

But just concerned it could be something else.

Have colour temp on Warm 50, and lowered OLED brightness a decent bit. Also use dark mode for everything. Might try some extra blue light filtering while working too.

Also read up on bias lighting so looking at setting some white light strips up behind it too.

But just curious on everyone else’s experiences when they switched. Or maybe not OLED related at all, maybe to a bigger size screen, or stronger contrast screen, or something.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone ever gotten a nausea/motion sickness feeling when you’ve switched to an OLED as a monitor?

Had my 42” for a few days now using it for work, and get a noticeably nauseous feeling fairly quickly after I start using it. No headaches as such.

Got a new bigger desk on the way as I am definitely too close currently (60cm deep desk), so could very well be that since I’ve never had it with my CX living room TV which I’m much further away from.

Have colour temp on Warm 50, and lowered OLED brightness a decent bit. Also use dark mode for everything. Might try some extra blue light filtering while working too.

Also read up on bias lighting so looking at setting some white light strips up behind it too.

But just curious on everyone else’s experiences when they switched. Or maybe not OLED related at all, maybe to a bigger size screen, or stronger contrast screen, or something.

It's likely to be the viewing distance causing it.

Have you tried just moving your chair further back for the moment to see if you still feel the same?

Soldato
Whatever happened to the days of actually getting what you pay for?! This is a premium product that you have to pay a premium price for.

Having all issues described above just shouldn't be a thing, the TV is simply not what has been advertised.

Not sure what days you mean, but sadly this is hardly unique to this TV. Recall going back years, IPS glow with IPS panels, lines on fast TN panels, backlight bleed issues on LED's, uniformity and dirty screen with LED's and so on. There is an element of when you look for issues you will find them also (not knocking anyone here, I suspect if I look for issues on my sample I will see them) and so on.

Size will likely be the biggest culprit, quiet in your face even at 42" with a 60cm deep desk. I have 62cm wide desk, but mounted so saves me about 10cm off what it would be with the feet which makes a difference at this size. Bias lighting is a good shout also, use it with mine and at near natural colours can help along with the general ambience.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
So today I went to curry’s and purchased 48” C2 for £999.
Got home powered it on and uniformity is definitely better and it’s using the new EX panel as I found out by going to service menu.
Will wall mount it to compensate for bigger size to some extent.

So basically got a better TV with the latest Evo/EX panel and saved £100s

result:D

Associate
It's likely to be the viewing distance causing it.

Have you tried just moving your chair further back for the moment to see if you still feel the same?

Yeah tried for a bit, hard to tell if it helps as I’m usually already feeling it by then, and can’t reach the keyboard and mouse when I do so can’t do it for too long while working :D

Am assuming viewing distance is definitely a part of it, as with my CX 55 in the living room from the sofa I’ve never felt it at all.

Just surprised the feeling is so dramatic, been hooked on screens my entire life..

Back
Top Bottom