LG 42-inch OLED

Soldato
How do you activate or get Dolby Vision IQ working? Watching Dolby content (Witcher) but there is no option or am I missing something obvious? Want to give it a try and see how that and the "Precision Rendering" aspect works.

Associate
Yeah tried for a bit, hard to tell if it helps as I’m usually already feeling it by then, and can’t reach the keyboard and mouse when I do so can’t do it for too long while working :D

Am assuming viewing distance is definitely a part of it, as with my CX 55 in the living room from the sofa I’ve never felt it at all.

Just surprised the feeling is so dramatic, been hooked on screens my entire life..

42" is quite big for a monitor. I remember having a 32" when I last had a PC and that made me feel ill using that sat at a desk.

Like yourself I also use my pc on a 55" E9 and never feel ill really.

Soldato
How do you activate or get Dolby Vision IQ working? Watching Dolby content (Witcher) but there is no option or am I missing something obvious? Want to give it a try and see how that and the "Precision Rendering" aspect works.
Looks like Dolby Vision IQ is just ambient light adaptations (with metadata). Only works on compatible content so first check for content that is known to have it.

I'd hope for a setting in the TV but maybe not?

R3X

R3X

Soldato

I think you have to set on Cinema Home picture mode that switches on DV IQ, but you do have to do some extra settings for it.

He says its best to use Cinema home/DV IQ when you are watching in a bright room though due to the light sensor and in a dark room just Cinema mode.

You need to run a DV source to set up the right settings also.

Associate
especially if I'm sat back with a controller it can be hard to tell the difference between 1440p and 4K once you're back far enough
There is big difference 1440p is 2k;)

Anyone ever gotten a nausea/motion sickness feeling when you’ve switched to an OLED as a monitor?
maybe your sitting to close to it! Do the same with your other OLED in Livingroom:)

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like Dolby Vision IQ is just ambient light adaptations (with metadata). Only works on compatible content so first check for content that is known to have it.

I'd hope for a setting in the TV but maybe not?

I think you have to set on Cinema Home picture mode that switches on DV IQ, but you do have to do some extra settings for it.

He says its best to use Cinema home/DV IQ when you are watching in a bright room though due to the light sensor and in a dark room just Cinema mode.

You need to run a DV source to set up the right settings also.

Yep your right, its not obvious but its Cinema home. When in Cinema Home you get a Like O. symbol next to the text in conjunction with some settings you turn on. Will mess around further I think. Ta

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Getting some feed back regarding my Crushed blacks issue, apparently its normal with many OLEDs and you need a good 100 hours if not a months full use before you can see Blacks better, I was recommended to stick with 53% black level for now and set to Gamma 2.2 and let that 100 hours usage kick in and then recheck the blacks.

They did also say after 100 hours or so you can put the black level back to 50% and keep gamma 2.2 and the details should be there.

Guess this is why Vincent and others are running their OLEDS for 100 hours + before starting their reviews.

Last edited:
Soldato
2560 x 1440 pixels. This resolution is also commonly referred to as 2K:p most people don't call 1080p 2K; they call it 1080p or Full HD
Commonly and wrongly :p

4k is a cinema resolution that partners with UHD; 4096x2160 in cinemas and 3840x2160 on your TV.

2k is a cinema resolution that partners with Full HD; 2048x1080 and 1920x1080.

Just because everyone says it doesn't mean they're right, QHD does not have a cinema equivalent and if you really must you should call it 2.5k not 2k. It's a boring thing to argue about but it's facts *shrug*

Associate
Yes someone did get back to me it is crushed blacks issue that I have as you say, he did attempt to advise me to try some settings to fix it (white balance points) but I could not find those exact settings. I will have to keep digging and asking till I get some concrete answers, its quite possible my 42" C2 is faulty, I can't imagine black scenes would be that bad and pitch black but they are on my screen and maybe upping the black level a bit is not a good fix but no one else has confirmed it yet. Got 3 more weeks to figure it out at least. Its a shame it was the flicker that was causing your headache, but sadly it does something effect some users they really do need to address these issues.
Could it be possible there is first & 2nd batch OLED that gets released in a year! April is the first batch C2 oleds that was ordered by some online retailers had older/new panel issues but still got sold without QC in the mad rush to buy them, maybe the 2nd batch later this year OLEDs might be fixed? Or the software get released! It was the same with the 55CX in April 2020 with crushed blacks & grey uniformity issues that put me off but later in September 2020 the 55CX didn't had those issues not for me anyway and it could be where you buy it from as well been a panel lottery imo.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Could it be possible there is first & 2nd batch OLED that gets released in a year! April is the first batch C2 oleds that was ordered by some online retailers had older/new panel issues but still got sold without QC in the mad rush to buy them, maybe the 2nd batch later this year OLEDs might be fixed? Or the software get released! It was the same with the 55CX in April 2020 with crushed blacks & grey uniformity issues that put me off but later in September 2020 the 55CX didn't had those issues not for me anyway and it could be where you buy it from as well been a panel lottery imo.

Could be, id guess the quality of the panels and production gets more better as they produce more of them over time.

The 3-4 guys that mentioned I need to give it 100hours if not double and then retest it out seem confident about it and had the same issues as I had.

Ill keep an eye on it and will update in a few weeks time, if its not improved can always send it back.

Associate
Commonly and wrongly :p 4k is a cinema resolution that partners with UHD; 4096x2160 in cinemas and 3840x2160 on your TV. 2k is a cinema resolution that partners with Full HD; 2048x1080 and 1920x1080.
Just because everyone says it doesn't mean they're right, QHD does not have a cinema equivalent and if you really must you should call it 2.5k not 2k. It's a boring thing to argue about but it's facts *shrug*
3840x2160 recommend but you can set it to 4096x2160 in TV if you wish but will you see the 256 pixel defences!, There is no 2.5k for argument sake 1440p/1080p frequently called 2K don't take my word for it google it and there is no point going 1440p on this OLED for higher frame rate

Last edited:
Soldato
3840x2160 recommend but you can set it to 4096x2160 in TV if you wish but will you see the 256 pixel defences!, There is no 2.5k for argument sake 1440p/1080p frequently called 2K don't take my word for it google it and there is no point going 1440p on this OLED for higher frame rate
I disagree with every bit of that post, you're wrong, so are the many examples you found in Google :)

The thing is you can Google anything and find evidence now. Humanity had a great opportunity and ruined it :D

Associate
So basically got a better TV with the latest Evo/EX panel and saved £100s

result:D
Yep result it is.
What I noticed with this one is that in fact It does get very pink at extreme angles.
Also it appears brighter with hdr content but that’s probably because it’s bigger and I’m still sitting very close to it.

Associate
OP
Anyone ever gotten a nausea/motion sickness feeling when you’ve switched to an OLED as a monitor?

Had my 42” for a few days now using it for work, and get a noticeably nauseous feeling fairly quickly after I start using it. No headaches as such.

Got a new bigger desk on the way as I am definitely too close currently (60cm deep desk), so could very well be that since I’ve never had it with my CX living room TV which I’m much further away from.

But just concerned it could be something else.

Have colour temp on Warm 50, and lowered OLED brightness a decent bit. Also use dark mode for everything. Might try some extra blue light filtering while working too.

Also read up on bias lighting so looking at setting some white light strips up behind it too.

But just curious on everyone else’s experiences when they switched. Or maybe not OLED related at all, maybe to a bigger size screen, or stronger contrast screen, or something.
No, it's likely not because of OLED. Completely disable all the motion related settings like TruMotion, they are the cause of our issues. The first day when I had the 42C2, I literally got severly sick within half hour. I couldn't bear it anymore. Next day some users here, I think R3X, advised me to disable all of the motion nonsense and indeed, it worked. No more nausea. And it also helps to have the HDMI set to HDMI-PC which improves the colors and less 'biting' the eyes. Picture gets smoot which is easy on the eyes. Once you do that, nausea/motion sickness should be no longer an issue. However, if you still have fatiguing headache, the chance is there you might be sensitive to flicker like me.

And I also doubt it's because of the size. I've been using smaller screens for about 2 decades, 15" up to 22". Going from 22" all the way to 42" was really easy and I'm surprised about it. Love it!

Yeah that is my exact concern, getting greyish blacks obviously you lose out on those inky blacks.

I still have very good blacks but they are a tad grey now, maybe its an fault or fixable with tv calibration or better settings although they did say the LG was meant to be excellent out of the box, clearly not for some though.

This would be quite a pickle since there is nothing on the market remotely close to this LG 42 C2, maybe the Sony will be better.
I was concerned about that. I mean, I couldn't see crap in GTAV/Online when it's night in the game and some missions are stealth so I don't wanna miss the targets or shoot the gastank by accident in heist setups.
When watching Netflix, picture is excellent but...it is a bit of a problem because of the crushed blacks.

If Sony will be better and they finally improve the inputlag, I might get one. But it will HAVE TO BE worth the price! But I'm afraid about the aggressive ABL, that **** is really noticable.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I was concerned about that. I mean, I couldn't see crap in GTAV/Online when it's night in the game and some missions are stealth so I don't wanna miss the targets or shoot the gastank by accident in heist setups.
When watching Netflix, picture is excellent but...it is a bit of a problem because of the crushed blacks.

If Sony will be better and they finally improve the inputlag, I might get one. But it will HAVE TO BE worth the price! But I'm afraid about the aggressive ABL, that **** is really noticable.

Yeah this is why I was worried I had a faulty panel, but the 3 guys I spoke to said they had similar issues with crushed blacks so just upped black level to 53% gave it a good month use or 100hours and more, then set the black level back to 50% and the details appeared.

I am hoping that happens with my case, if not its going back.

I think though its important to give these OLEDs that 100 hours+ or 3-4 weeks good usage before checking for these faults, these OLED pixels really do need charging up almost.

The Sony 42" could still be interesting, especially its thermal feature to get more brightness but yeah don't think they will have improved the lag or gaming side here.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
This mini reviews also mentions how you should set up Pc mode on your hdmi (home then dashboard then settings) otherwise you can feel motion sickness like he got.

His blue tint looks like mine on day 1 also, its almost covered the entire left and right hand side of his 42"

Check 5.45 into this video

Lucky my tints gone much less, I think you really need to give it a few weeks usage here.

Associate
I disagree with every bit of that post, you're wrong, so are the many examples you found in Google :)

The thing is you can Google anything and find evidence now. Humanity had a great opportunity and ruined it :D
Or it is you got it wrong but won't admit it!:p So also you're saying you can't change the 3840x2160 to 4096x2160 on the OLED Resolution!:cry: the TV can only do 120hz so how can you do 144hz @1440p please show us:D

Associate
Yeah this is why I was worried I had a faulty panel, but the 3 guys I spoke to said they had similar issues with crushed blacks so just upped black level to 53% gave it a good month use or 100hours and more, then set the black level back to 50% and the details appeared.

I am hoping that happens with my case, if not its going back.

I think though its important to give these OLEDs that 100 hours+ or 3-4 weeks good usage before checking for these faults, these OLED pixels really do need charging up almost.

The Sony 42" could still be interesting, especially its thermal feature to get more brightness but yeah don't think they will have improved the lag or gaming side here.

Have you got the gamma set to 2.2? I had the same problem with my c1 because all the settings videos i saw said bt1886 was the way to go. I used the hvs hd 709 test disk to calibrate the brightness and had to up it to 54. Then i had the idea to up the gamma and drop the brightness back to 50 and since then i couldn't be more pleased with it, even the colors look more correct. I did do this on my second month of having it so power on time may be an issue for you.

Reactions: R3X
Back
Top Bottom