LG 42-inch OLED

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Have you seen your black crush improve. Seen in video by Vincent even better this year with the SOC upgrade then years prior this year when it comes to black crush so hopefully running yours in seeing the change your after?

I was going to check but I think ill run it in as much as I can, they claim 200 hours usage is the magic number I believe. I just gone past the 110 hours used mark so getting there.

I think Vincent noticed less black crush and more shadow detail since he said out of the box settings, so that must have meant he left tone mapping switched on, I think you probably left it switched on also so any crush would have been reduced.

I guess I can leave it on also but as he and others say having tone mapping off gives you more accurate colours. The sweet spot would be to have it off and retain that dark shadow detail and no black crush effect.

Soldato
I was going to check but I think ill run it in as much as I can, they claim 200 hours usage is the magic number I believe. I just gone past the 110 hours used mark so getting there.

I think Vincent noticed less black crush and more shadow detail since he said out of the box settings, so that must have meant he left tone mapping switched on, I think you probably left it switched on also so any crush would have been reduced.

I guess I can leave it on also but as he and others say having tone mapping off gives you more accurate colours. The sweet spot would be to have it off and retain that dark shadow detail and no black crush effect.

IMO do not bother with what people say in regards to accurate colours or creators intent. I rather go for a picture setting which looks more pleasing to my eyes as blasphemous as that sounds :p . For me usually means slightly more cooler picture then pin point accurate settings.

Associate

I never seen any significant difference on any of my oled screens after the run in period only slight difference in near black uniformity and banding.

Associate
IMO do not bother with what people say in regards to accurate colours or creators intent. I rather go for a picture setting which looks more pleasing to my eyes as blasphemous as that sounds :p . For me usually means slightly more cooler picture then pin point accurate settings.

This is my attitude to it. What works for me will likely not work for others. If it looks amazing to my eyes(and how it's set now, it does) then I'm happy.

Caporegime
Was considering an upgrade to c1 48", seems like it takes up about 9" of depth on a desk which is pretty substantial due to the electronics all being inside the stand essentially. Gonna measure it out and see how it looks on my desk, though I think the stand is gonna push it a bit far forwards to be comfortable to use.

Soldato
Was considering an upgrade to c1 48", seems like it takes up about 9" of depth on a desk which is pretty substantial due to the electronics all being inside the stand essentially. Gonna measure it out and see how it looks on my desk, though I think the stand is gonna push it a bit far forwards to be comfortable to use.
It's not the stand itself - there's just a portion of the TV that's as thick as a normal LED TV. You could still buy a slimmer stand or arm/wall-mount it.

Soldato

Wall mount if possible, mounted my 48 cx.

Caporegime
Think I'll wait for the c2 42 to come down a bit in price after having a read through, less bulky as well so wouldn't be as much of a space hog on the desk. :)

R3X

R3X

Soldato

Interesting, I will test DTM on and off with a few Blurays and see if its really is any better.

I don't mind missing out on some accuracy for the improved black shadow detail and less black crush also.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I never seen any significant difference on any of my oled screens after the run in period only slight difference in near black uniformity and banding.

I had the opposite effect with my CX oddly, actually thought the CX was faulty on the first day since during spots people looked like stuttering robots. But 2-3 weeks in it went smooth and great, some claim its the eyes and brain adjusting to it so not sure but it went normal after. I did not get that issue on my C2 from day 1 though.

But I did notice my blue tinting improved greatly after a weeks use, reduced to the sides on the C2 where as before it was just half way in the middle.

Associate
during spots people looked like stuttering robots.
sounds to me like bad implementation of frame interpolation (dejudder) which LG is known for.
on my 6 year old B6 that feature in unusable as on high it makes everything look like soap opera with a ton of errors and on low it causes stutter in slow moving scenes.
with BX and C1 I'm using low dejudder (level 2) when watching films or youtube as it helps to reduce judder without looking horrible.

Associate
Can I ask for everyone’s opinions on this as a desktop pc gaming display with some console use? I’m switching from 2 x 27 inch displays and right now I think I can get this for just less than £1100 today.

originally planned to get this as a display, but no display port put me off initially.

Associate
I can only speak from 5 days of usage at this stage but I came from the same setup(2*27" monitors - 4K/1440p). I still use one of the 27" monitors as a secondary and the C2 as my main screen and it's phenomenal. PC is 5900x/3080ti/32GB RAM for reference.

4K/120 is more than adequate for anything you can play unless you're trying to push CSGO/Valorant to ultra high frame rates and then you'd want a different type of panel all together. I'm solely using my C2 for PC usage and in my limited scope I've had no issues with it in any mode. HDR/SDR looks amazing, Netflix/Disney+ looks outstanding with Dolby Vision etc... I play mostly ARPGs and the added definition provided by the infinite contrast is game changing in places.

I'm still tweaking bits here and there and running it in but I think it's well worth the price of entry(I paid around 1250 for mine).

Associate
I keep flitting between going Ultrawide or 4k, if my maths works out I can get this for approx £1060 (after some time as it results on cashback offers) and the offer is literally today only. I primarily play games like Destiny and I just want to be absolutely certain I'm making the right decision. My issues are because it's main designed function is a TV, will I find frustrations with this because I will mainly use this as a PC monitor?

I was previously tempted by the Alienware 34 UW, but reading what some people have mentioned, they wouldn't put the full retail on it.

Soldato
I keep flitting between going Ultrawide or 4k, if my maths works out I can get this for approx £1060 (after some time as it results on cashback offers) and the offer is literally today only. I primarily play games like Destiny and I just want to be absolutely certain I'm making the right decision. My issues are because it's main designed function is a TV, will I find frustrations with this because I will mainly use this as a PC monitor?

I was previously tempted by the Alienware 34 UW, but reading what some people have mentioned, they wouldn't put the full retail on it.

I do not think the fact its a TV means much as a monitor. Really does pack in most the stuff you want as a gaming monitor, has among the fastest response times on the market, absolute blacks, G-Sync / VRR and so on. Mix in ability to set the panel as ultrawide and rest of monitor being all black makes it great. Brightness does not get bright 100% full field compared to some LCD panels, but I doubt most will complain when your only sitting 80 or so CM away.

The ABL can be awkward at times if your working and stuff, but for content creation is amazing. Of course I may be bias having used it for nearly a month, but games which you mention, 0 issues IMO. More so as you have a 3080 which can pair with it wellplus G-sync. Of course you mention Alienware also which looks like an exceptional monitor. Really need to just see which one you may prefer to be honest as while both great, they are quiet different in terms of size and what have you.

Associate
Can I ask for everyone’s opinions on this as a desktop pc gaming display with some console use? I’m switching from 2 x 27 inch displays and right now I think I can get this for just less than £1100 today.

originally planned to get this as a display, but no display port put me off initially.

While they are superb for games, films and also navigating around windows as they have infinite contrast, excellent response time and very low input lag they are so so when it comes to working with documents and browsing websites with bright background as white uniformity isn’t great.
They have that annoying tint closer to edges of the screen and the closer you sit the worse it gets. Im using 48” C1 myself and while I love it for gaming it does wind me up when I’m opening bright website.
Also text doesn’t look as good as it does on normal monitors due to different sub pixel arrangement (wrgb instead of rgb).
But if you want to use it with consoles then this will be much better than uw monitor as none of them support uw resolutions and PS5 will be limited to 1080p on top of that.

BBE4-BF1-E-33-C7-47-AF-8999-37-B56-BE27-D38.jpg

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Bit off topic but some QD-OLED stuff here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8czrfBaoJI

Apparently some early reports, the QD-OLED is not doing blacks properly (could be false)

https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-displays-qd-oled-panel-yield-reaches-75/

Some are saying its only first gen, some have seen Samsung QD-OLED next to an LG C1 and said the QD-OLEDs are brighter and better shadow details
otherwise.

Id wait for the proper in-depth reviews though, they take a while since they need to run them in for 200 hours.

Back
Top Bottom