LG 42-inch OLED

Soldato
Personally glad I went with the 42" C2, 34" feels too tiny now :D

Reality is they are very different monitor and sizes all down to personal pref. The QD-OLED Tech is defo nice and some nice benefits, but for me the size aspect won me over. Hopefully as time goes on and we see QD-OLED in other sizes.

As for the review, makes sense why he did it, know plenty are on the fence between the two as an upgrade, even if they are quiet different.

Reactions: TNA

R3X

R3X

Soldato
This is the part that keeps me consistently flipflopping over whether I should or shouldnt. I want a device that is basically doing double duty... 8 hrs of work during the day and then 6 hrs or so of play at night. I worry about OLED in this case. I wish there was a pc centric review of Samsungs QN90B 42" mini LED, which by all reports is an extremely close competitor (superior in some ways, inferior in others). Alas there is not.... hint hint...

One thing that websites confuse with that Samsung QN90B is the wide viewing angles is not really available on the 43" mini led, many top retailers say it is but if you check the Samsung website the small print says its only available in 55" and above.

I took a look at that screen also and viewing angles is crucial if you watch from a slight angle, I don't know if its any better on that 43" mini led but id assume any OLED bar from last 5 years would best it since that is OLEDs main strength.

Yes it would be great for an review of it, think though price wise people opted for the OLED C2 naturally.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Why compare a 16:9 42" to a 21:9 34" though?

If Dell comes out with a 42" 16:9 then maybe it's relevant, otherwise they are not.
Very relevant. For me it was either the Alienware or the LG OLED. If one is looking for best image quality for gaming these are the two best displays as far as I am concerned. That makes it relevant. Why also would he be comparing it? :)

R3X

R3X

Soldato
You can still kind of see it though with the Alienware QD-OLED its solving some of the issues LG OLEDs have with APL and ABL allowing a more brighter and accurate picture, I take it that will work both ways with full white scenes and even dark scenes.

I did just out of curiosity disable the TPC and GRC to see if it helped my dark scene viewing issue but from early looks nothing much improved.

Hopefully its not 5 more years wait for QD-OLED to hit 42", its an promising technology.

Associate
You’re getting the technologies and terms confused, not helped by the fact they are often interchangeable when people talk about them.

You can’t disable ABL, that’s impossible, that’s linked to the power output of the OLED panel and it’s directly linked to the APL. It’s not possible for instance to get the 700 nits at full 100% white. It just can’t happen from a technical point of view. Nothing you can turn on or off in the service menu will change that.

What rtings will mean if they do ever talk about “disabling ABL” is that at a certain brightness level the ABL never needs to kick in as the overall brightness is low enough to be possible at 100% screen APL. but that’s not disabling anything they are just talking about what brightness is ok for full screen, and at what point it can’t keep that up for 100% APL :)

What you can turn off is the TPC feature which is an additional measure but specifically designed for when there’s static content on the screen because the tv thinks you’ve paused it or something. I’m not saying it’s risk free, it depends on your usage and you’d be wise to be even more careful around static content and PC use. But as I explained above, there are much more beneficial things you could do to avoid burn in for those situations than that feature anyway. For dynamic content it has no benefit at all in any meaningful way. If it’s not a problem during use then no need to turn it off. If it annoys you in darker scenes for instance then no harm turning it off.

And yes, I’m sure LG would say it voided your warranty if you asked them, of course it's not a standard access option, but that’s largely irrelevant unless you were specifically trying to make a claim for burn in. And I’m not convinced they even cover the TVs for burn in anyway (I’d have to check)

There is maybe a chance the engineer would check the service menu then if it was a burn in claim, but having had 3 engineer visits in the past I can tell you not once did they go anywhere near the service menu. And you could very easily go back in before they arrived and turn TPC back on, how would they know?! If you had any other warranty claim like a power problem, broken panel, knackered stand or whatever they’d go nowhere near the menu and it just wouldn’t be an issue.

The third party engineers that visit you home wouldn't check SM I am talk about LG service department as you said how would they know if it was turn on/off. I'm not LG but I'm sure they know!. I follow AVSForums there's allots of tect members there more advanced then me, I read CX had two service menus in US I thought it was one so I'm confuses! They talk about the pros and cons of turning off ASBL/GSR/TPC. That brings me back to my post but when new users get theses technical remotes and they are experiment with their OLEDs at a risk that would voids their paid 5 year warranty for burn-in, but of cause it's there choice at the end of the day who am I to Judge You only learn from your own mistakes. You said you can't disable ABL well many clam you can in US was it just fake! I don't know anymore it was only in US that SM can be viewed using your LG TV remote but not in UK at the time, if you turn off GSR for gaming is asking for screen damage as well and some members have said turning off TPC but it made Dolby Vision unwatchable. Allots of 1/2 post idiots jumping on the merry go-round and clam it safe to turn off ASBL/GSR/TPC/ABL been doing it for years.. on C6! But there old 7 years TVs don't matter they pass their 5 years warranty. So ABL is Auto Brightness Limiting. This does prevent burn in by limiting full screen peak brightness to around 150 nits. It also prevents the tv from overheating or shortening the lifespan of the tv so for disagreement sake you can't turn it off What's the point turning off ABSL then ABL still kicks in and dim the picture:)

ASBL should only kick in whenever high enough area of the screen tries to display bright colours, Only reason I say this is because ASBL is FAR less aggressive in SDR then in HDR gaming that's why CX can reach 700-800 nits brightness at 5% white of the screen and only ~150 nits at 100% white screen. APL is much higher on LCD's before ABL sets in so it's a non issue. On oleds you can have a full field white go upto approximately 150 nits before ABL sets in, on oleds that use standard lg display panels, on oleds that use custom panels that limit is higher.

Data privacy
LG/Sony/Samsung can collect your Smart TV data too a TV is no longer just a device for showing you content – it has become a two-way mirror today what is collected no one knows! But is known is apps, audio, video and TV usage data, the data is being harvested and where it is being sent to is third parties/manufacturers. Technology experts have raised this concern, as there is no clear assurance that microphones on your smart TV or voice command remote remain off when not in use (ACR). Often turned on by default, this uses analytical techniques to identify video and audio running on the TV, matching it against a big database to identify what’s being played and when. And no it's not a theory:) but of cause you can turn off privacy also turn off Voice Recognition but you can't turn off all the TV DATA

Is Oled ABL Still A Problem In 2022?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The third party engineers that visit you home wouldn't check SM I am talk about LG service department as you said how would they know if it was turn on/off. I'm not LG but I'm sure they know!. I follow AVSForums there's allots of tect members there more advanced then me, I read CX had two service menus in US I thought it was one so I'm confuses!
well i see this talked about, but i've seen zero evidence that there is any way for them to actually tell - i mean the service menu is already not available to users. And it's the service menu, so there's not going to be a second service menu or anything, that would be pointless. Perhaps there is some diagnostics that can be done or some other unknown stats screen that tracks this stuff, but i would be very surprised if there was. I can't imagine they'd bother implmenting some kind of key logger/tracking system for things like the service menu itself, which are only supposed to be accessible to engineers anyway. Like i say, despite the talk, i've never seen any evidence that it would be possible to track service menu changes.

That does not mean you should change it of course, thats another debate, i'm just saying i doubt they would even know.

That brings me back to my post but when new users get theses technical remotes and they are experiment with their OLEDs at a risk that would voids their paid 5 year warranty for burn-in, but of cause it's there choice at the end of the day who am I to Judge You only learn from your own mistakes

absolutely, this is all at the users own risk and people would be wise to be careful about their usage regardless of what they do. Also a risk though is turning off anything in the main OSD menu that is there for OLED panel care that users have access to by default - pixel shift, logo dimming etc. Even things like running at a consistent higher brightness level can be a risk for OLED.

The question of warrnty is an interesting one though. LG (in the UK at least) do not provide any panel warranty on the CX, C1 or C2 OLED displays (those being the models considered here for possible monitor usage at 48" and 42" sizes). They provide a 12 month standard waranty for the TV as detailed here: https://www.lg.com/uk/support/warranty. Only their flagship Z1 and G1 OLED TV's have a 5 yr panel warranty. As far as i can tell that LG warranty then only covers other faults, it wouldn't cover burn in anyway. So you'd never be in a position to be claiming for burn in via LG, and so they'd never be checking the service menu anyway to see if you'd somehow disabled TPC :)

You could then consider additional warranties provided by retailers such as John Lewis (5 yr) but they will not replace it for burn in or image retention anyway: YOUR GUARANTEE WON’T COVER: "Image ghosting or screen burn. These can appear on a screen that's left operating for a prolonged period with either a still image or a channel constantly displaying a logo". So that means for JL, again you'd never be in a position to be claiming for a burn in problem anyway, so they'd never be checking the service menu - and even if they did cover burn in, i very much doubt a JL service team would ever do this anyway, they don't have the expertise.

You said you can't disable ABL well many clam you can in US was it just fake! I don't know anymore it was only in US that SM can be viewed using your LG TV remote but not in UK at the time, if you turn off GSR for gaming is asking for screen damage as well and some members have said turning off TPC but it made Dolby Vision unwatchable. Allots of 1/2 post idiots jumping on the merry go-round and clam it safe to turn off ASBL/GSR/TPC/ABL been doing it for years.. on C6! But there old 7 years TVs don't matter they pass their 5 years warranty. So ABL is Auto Brightness Limiting. This does prevent burn in by limiting full screen peak brightness to around 150 nits. It also prevents the tv from overheating or shortening the lifespan of the tv so for disagreement sake you can't turn it off What's the point turning off ABSL then ABL still kicks in and dim the picture:)

Again we're talking about two different things. You cannot change ABL or disable it, it's a fundamental capability of the panel and linked directly to things like the power supply as well. ABL will dictate how bright the screen can reach at different APL's. On modern OLED TV's the "dimming" from this is not normally very problematic or obvious. No, the TV won't reach 700 nits peak brightness on a full screen white image in HDR, but you probably wouldn't want it to anyway! On older OLED TV's sometimes as the APL changes you could detect annoying dimming and brightening caused by this ABL, but nowadays the algorithms are very good and it's very hard to notice in real use. Some people still get annoyed by it, in which case OLED isn't an appropriate technology for them and they'd be better with LCD where there's a backlight used.

ABSL or TPC as it's called by LG is different, and i've talked about that above. This is entirely a mechanism for detecting what the screen believes are static images.

ASBL should only kick in whenever high enough area of the screen tries to display bright colours, Only reason I say this is because ASBL is FAR less aggressive in SDR then in HDR gaming that's why CX can reach 700-800 nits brightness at 5% white of the screen and only ~150 nits at 100% white screen. APL is much higher on LCD's before ABL sets in so it's a non issue. On oleds you can have a full field white go upto approximately 150 nits before ABL sets in, on oleds that use standard lg display panels, on oleds that use custom panels that limit is higher.

You're getting your terms mixed up a bit there. ABSL is TPC, and thats differnet to ABL (these acronyms dont help at all!)

ABL (the one that is fixed because of the OLED panel and power supply) will not be needed as much for SDR, no. Thats because in SDR the screen brightness would never reach the same peaks as in HDR. Even if you ran the screen at 100 brightness setting the max SDR brightness will prob be around 260 nits (from the 42C2 measurements) and the screen can handle 260 nits at high APL quite well. the reference luminance for SDR content is actually only 100 nits, so if you were using that, then ABL would never need to kick in, as the screen can handle 135 nits at even 100% APL. So for dekstop use as well, where you would typically be set to around 120 nits for a monitor, again ABL would never be needed, even if you displayed a 100% white window. For desktop use as long as you're configured to a sensible brightness level, ABL is a non-issue (literally). But TPC can cause you problems because of the static nature of the content

Soldato
well i see this talked about, but i've seen zero evidence that there is any way for them to actually tell - i mean the service menu is already not available to users. And it's the service menu, so there's not going to be a second service menu or anything, that would be pointless. Perhaps there is some diagnostics that can be done or some other unknown stats screen that tracks this stuff, but i would be very surprised if there was. I can't imagine they'd bother implmenting some kind of key logger/tracking system for things like the service menu itself, which are only supposed to be accessible to engineers anyway. Like i say, despite the talk, i've never seen any evidence that it would be possible to track service menu changes.

That does not mean you should change it of course, thats another debate, i'm just saying i doubt they would even know.

absolutely, this is all at the users own risk and people would be wise to be careful about their usage regardless of what they do. Also a risk though is turning off anything in the main OSD menu that is there for OLED panel care that users have access to by default - pixel shift, logo dimming etc. Even things like running at a consistent higher brightness level can be a risk for OLED.

The question of warrnty is an interesting one though. LG (in the UK at least) do not provide any panel warranty on the CX, C1 or C2 OLED displays (those being the models considered here for possible monitor usage at 48" and 42" sizes). They provide a 12 month standard waranty for the TV as detailed here: https://www.lg.com/uk/support/warranty. Only their flagship Z1 and G1 OLED TV's have a 5 yr panel warranty. As far as i can tell that LG warranty then only covers other faults, it wouldn't cover burn in anyway. So you'd never be in a position to be claiming for burn in via LG, and so they'd never be checking the service menu anyway to see if you'd somehow disabled TPC :)

You could then consider additional warranties provided by retailers such as John Lewis (5 yr) but they will not replace it for burn in or image retention anyway: YOUR GUARANTEE WON’T COVER: "Image ghosting or screen burn. These can appear on a screen that's left operating for a prolonged period with either a still image or a channel constantly displaying a logo". So that means for JL, again you'd never be in a position to be claiming for a burn in problem anyway, so they'd never be checking the service menu - and even if they did cover burn in, i very much doubt a JL service team would ever do this anyway, they don't have the expertise.

Again we're talking about two different things. You cannot change ABL or disable it, it's a fundamental capability of the panel and linked directly to things like the power supply as well. ABL will dictate how bright the screen can reach at different APL's. On modern OLED TV's the "dimming" from this is not normally very problematic or obvious. No, the TV won't reach 700 nits peak brightness on a full screen white image in HDR, but you probably wouldn't want it to anyway! On older OLED TV's sometimes as the APL changes you could detect annoying dimming and brightening caused by this ABL, but nowadays the algorithms are very good and it's very hard to notice in real use. Some people still get annoyed by it, in which case OLED isn't an appropriate technology for them and they'd be better with LCD where there's a backlight used.

ABSL or TPC as it's called by LG is different, and i've talked about that above. This is entirely a mechanism for detecting what the screen believes are static images.

You're getting your terms mixed up a bit there. ABSL is TPC, and thats differnet to ABL (these acronyms dont help at all!)

ABL (the one that is fixed because of the OLED panel and power supply) will not be needed as much for SDR, no. Thats because in SDR the screen brightness would never reach the same peaks as in HDR. Even if you ran the screen at 100 brightness setting the max SDR brightness will prob be around 260 nits (from the 42C2 measurements) and the screen can handle 260 nits at high APL quite well. the reference luminance for SDR content is actually only 100 nits, so if you were using that, then ABL would never need to kick in, as the screen can handle 135 nits at even 100% APL. So for dekstop use as well, where you would typically be set to around 120 nits for a monitor, again ABL would never be needed, even if you displayed a 100% white window. For desktop use as long as you're configured to a sensible brightness level, ABL is a non-issue (literally). But TPC can cause you problems because of the static nature of the content

Thanks for all your posts. Been using 42" for nearly two months soon and love it with the caveats being something I can work around. But your posts and review shed real understanding on what's going on and some of these terms.

R3X

R3X

Soldato

LG Display's 42-inch Bendable OLED Gaming screen can flex up to 1000R to help immerse you even further into the action.

image.php

Also LG 34-inch P-OLED display with an 800R curvature announced.

Curved thoughts

iPeYG.gif

Man of Honour
Thanks for all your posts. Been using 42" for nearly two months soon and love it with the caveats being something I can work around. But your posts and review shed real understanding on what's going on and some of these terms.
you're welcome, glad it's helped :)

Associate

Thanks for clearing a few things & what I missed understood About ABSL is TCP I'm still learn about the SM, I only wanted to know about it but I won't risk my Oled. I'm still learning. What I write is only what pickup on AVSfourms & Reddit forums, I am sure you did you homework I apologize:) When I bought my CX55 from Curry's it came with 5 Year Warranty so I had Curry's to printout what was on there screen to backup my clam if I need it, but last year and this year all the OLEDs on curry's website didn't say 5 years! Only G1/Z1

Man of Honour
Thanks for clearing a few things & what I missed understood About ABSL is TCP I'm still learn about the SM, I only wanted to know about it but I won't risk my Oled. I'm still learning. What I write is only what pickup on AVSfourms & Reddit forums, I am sure you did you homework I apologize:) When I bought my CX55 from Curry's it came with 5 Year Warranty so I had Curry's to printout what was on there screen to backup my clam if I need it, but last year and this year all the OLEDs on curry's website didn't say 5 years! Only G1/Z1
don't worry about it, it's a confusing area for sure. Pretty sure Currys warranty would be 12 months via LG, then an additional 4 years from Currys - but like JL and other retailers i don't believe this would cover panel burn-in, only other faults

Back
Top Bottom