LG C8 Black uniformity

Associate
Hi
I recently got an LG C8 and when playing very dark scenes I have noticed that there is some vertical band of lighter black (always in the same place) going down the screen. Sort of looks like light bleed you get on LED screens but in a inch wide band running top to bottom. I know OLED do not always have perfect black uniformity but assume I should not be noticing during avg watching?

Also does anyone know if there an easy way of just switching the screen to black to prevent burn in when going to get a drink and things like that without tuning off complety?

Thank you

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have the 77
a6s6Uac.jpg
I am only at 12 hours use so this may be something that gets better. There is actually two bands but have only noticed left one while watching things.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Replacement coming Friday, just hope it has no issues. I never have much luck when buying TVs, the last one I bought 5+ years ago I was sent two faulty units. Fingers crossed it's just the one this time. Really pleased with the TV other than this issue and the excellent remote is a nice added bonus.

Associate
OP
The new TV has arrived and first impressions are not good. I am hoping to see an significant improvement after first compensation otherwise it will definitely be going back. The top right and left hand corner is still almost black at 10% grey. At the moment I am wishing I had put up with the last panel (well not really it was just as bad just under different conditions). I don't understand how LG don't get this checked before they go out. There is a lot more bands and some are visible at 20% grey. I would hope this will look very different after running during weekend and a few compensation cycles
9J30spx.jpg
20%
vwAWjAM.jpg
5%

These are night sight (long exposure on phone) , they make 20 seem better than it is and 5 slightly worse. I could only see the bands on last TV during very dark scenes. The ones on this TV are visible in things like YouTube app. The strange thing is the picture of the first tv was a standard exposure. This new one looks fairly uniform with standard exposure other than dark upper left and right. Shows how over bright the bands on last TV must have been and how varried the panel are.

Normal exposure on new TV 5% grey (shows how bright bands in last one were)
SFBaoaw.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I would never look at 5% untill I have already seen issues. I then do mainly to document for exchange. The banding and uniformity on this one was visible in intro to strangers things. Going to go a good amount of watching tomorrow and will see where we end up after more compensation cycles. (Long exposure as otherwise looks black, in person less bright). The top left and right not being lit is very noticeable. The black line down the middle of the TV is also hard to miss.
ftDMX9N.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I am using a long exposure thus why text looks too bright, and it looks fuzzy. In a very dark room the screen should be slightly off black. I would describe it as black if someone asked what colour it is. In reality its murky black with a white grain affect. Probably in a lit room it would just look black. However I can still clearly see in person a more black line in the middle and the pitch black top left and right. Without a reference point due to uniformity issues it would probably just look black and would not questions it, it's only because the top right and left are actually black that I notice it's slightly off black by comparison. It's very hard to capture with a phone what it actually looks like. A short exposure shows as all black and night sight makes to bright but shows the contrast difference that is noticeable in person. Below is normal exposure of a similar off black at end of intro. This is still very misleading because that text is actually red and makes the grey is less noticeable in person (the uniformity is however just as noticeable).

R56fIGN.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It does not need to be perfect, I will not return if I only see it every now and then. At the moment I see it several times per episode of varried content. The last one was bad in very dark scenes (however fine the rest of the time) the new one is bad in lighter scenes but not too bad in dark scenes. My last TV I got third time lucky so hopefully same thing again. I can't accept the current one as actually find it worse than the previous one. I got a good price on this TV, half the price it was a few months ago. However if I had paid 7k like some people and have issues like this I would be even more angry. LG should be embarrassed that they have such poor QA.

Associate
OP
Well some good news is unlike the first TV this one is improving. Gives me some hope. One strange thing I have noticed is this panel seems a lot more prone to temporary image retention. As an example I paused on strange things (for a minute at most) title text was retained 5 min later and could see in grey test screen. Is it normal for a screen to retain images so quickly.
(Middle left)
NwdS6mo.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yes and made no difference on first set. The second one had been slowly improving just due to automatic pixle refresh and am now very happy with uniformity. However set seems to be suffering very badly from image retention. I have done two manual refreshes and can still see Netflix pause bar in some dark scenes. Also I watched a film the other day and edge of film letter box shows up in some dark scenes in series now. Is this normal? I thought retained letter box should take time not one movie? I don't think I noticed retained images anywhere near as much on the first TV. I have oled set to 60 although when watching vision if seems to increase brightness anyway.

Back
Top Bottom