LG CX (C10) OLED 2020 Thread

Soldato
Aren't all the laptop OLED screens only 60hz ?

yea its a question of do u want higher refresh rate or do u want a perfect screen with beautiful colors, infinite contrast ratio and the best HDR in the business.

oled's feel a lot more silky than lcds in my experience cos of that crazy response time anyway. no doubt they don't match the silk of 144hz but i feel i rarely want high refresh rating gaming on the go and would prefer the extra brightness of an OLED. and when im at home i'd be happy to hook up the laptop to a cheap 144hz display if i wanted to do higher refresh rate competitive gaMING.

Soldato
yea its a question of do u want higher refresh rate or do u want a perfect screen with beautiful colors, infinite contrast ratio and the best HDR in the business.

oled's feel a lot more silky than lcds in my experience cos of that crazy response time anyway. no doubt they don't match the silk of 144hz but i feel i rarely want high refresh rating gaming on the go and would prefer the extra brightness of an OLED. and when im at home i'd be happy to hook up the laptop to a cheap 144hz display if i wanted to do higher refresh rate competitive gaMING.
Wonder what the price difference would be between these 2 options

option 1
Buying a standard laptop with an OLED screen and a gaming laptop with a 144hz ips screen

Option 2
Buying a gaming laptop with an OLED screen

Caporegime
I think OLED is a dead technology, I really do.

Micro LED is going to come to market faster than anticipated, and it offers the same quality or better than OLED without the risk of screen burn.

I will genuinely be surprised if OLED is being produced 2 years from now. Even LG is already looking hard at micro LED.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Micro LED is going to come to market faster than anticipated, and it offers the same quality or better than OLED without the risk of screen burn.

I will genuinely be surprised if OLED is being produced 2 years from now. Even LG is already looking hard at micro LED.
Nah. It will be around for a lot longer than that. Will take time to get the cost down of Micro LED.

Soldato

whats ur estimated ETA on:
1. micro LED coming to laptops
2. micro LED MATCHING OLED prices
3. micro LED matching OLED prices of today

interested to hear ur answers.. cos i personally dont think its anywhere near as close as ur post suggests to discard OLED!

Soldato
Wonder what the price difference would be between these 2 options

option 1
Buying a standard laptop with an OLED screen and a gaming laptop with a 144hz ips screen

Option 2
Buying a gaming laptop with an OLED screen

the OLED screen markup isn't a lot on the alienware site for example so i dont imagine a lot. depends which brand tho.

also the OLED screen on a standard screen i'd imagine to be a waste.. as at least for myself the whole draw to HDR and where it works great is in games which support it (subject to personal opinion and ymmv with windows support)

Soldato

Micro LED is going to take ages before they can shrink it down enough to be used in 4K 55” and 66” TV’s.

There’s a reason all the prototypes are huge.

Soldato
Micro LED is going to take ages before they can shrink it down enough to be used in 4K 55” and 66” TV’s.

Yup, but I'd say I don't think they're even gonna bother targeting 55" & 65" anymore, for premium TVs. That's gonna remain OLED & LCD territory. Hell, already if you look at premium LCD this year, it starts with 65" (Q950TS - €6000), and even last year if you bought the Q90R the 55" was a gimped version (just like how <55" became gimped versions as well).

Certainly possible that the production costs will go down for scaled down versions as well with enough time, for microLED, but it's gonna require some major breakthroughs.

Soldato
I remember when OLED was first announced and shown off in a prototype stage and that was a long time ago. It's only just getting into the market at a semi affordable state, so I think it's going to be around for a while yet.

Soldato
also the OLED screen on a standard screen i'd imagine to be a waste.. as at least for myself the whole draw to HDR and where it works great is in games which support it (subject to personal opinion and ymmv with windows support)

isn't oled still a power hog versus lcd, so not ideal if you want laptop autonomy, like for phones,
some of the dimming you get on oled tv's is attributed to both ensuring long term reliability, and keeping within EU power consumption norms.

Does windows, or ios, offer an effective hdr environment where sdr apps colours are re-mapped to wider hdr/2020 colour space, enabling the sdr/hdr to co-exist.

Soldato
rtings is your friend - c9 89nom/171max, q80r 52/163 .... laptop/phone screen are the usual eco suspects, but, could be an efficient way of heating the house.

Soldato

so it's not very micro at all then? I don't understand, what do they call the LEDs that are in current 4K screens? :-/

as to microLED contesting OLED, how does it handle blacks, because as far as i'm aware that is the big difference between LED and OLED.

Soldato
Quite a while ago I went to Currys (as was) to test a portable DVD player. The staff there old me they couldn't play anything rated above a PG. Luckily what I bought with me to test was a PG, but (as of about 10 yrs ago) they had restrictions on age content. Don't know about the other shops though
many many moons ago when VCR was becoming I thing I wandered past a stall they'd set up in Binns to demo. The guy put on The Bogeyman, lol, not quite department store-friendly.

Soldato
So,

my entry for the guessing game,

Early March release, £1250...

My guess is they'll just use the same prices as last year, as that seems to be the trend. TVs are just stupidly overpriced before Black Friday period.
So:
If you live in the UK, you'll be able to purchase the 55-inch OLED55C9PLA for £2,499, the 65-inch OLED65C9PLA for £3,299 and the 77-inch OLED77C9PLA for £7,499.

so it's not very micro at all then? I don't understand, what do they call the LEDs that are in current 4K screens? :-/

as to microLED contesting OLED, how does it handle blacks, because as far as i'm aware that is the big difference between LED and OLED.

Read this: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/micro-led-faq,review-5282.html

Soldato

MicroLED is a separate LED per colour, so each pixel would be 3 MicroLEDs, that’s a lot of pixels over a 4K display, over 20 million.

Soldato
MicroLED is self emissive like OLED, it doesn't have backlights.

It's got minimal relation to current 'LED' TVs which are actually just LCDs with LED backlights.

Back
Top Bottom