LG CX (C10) OLED 2020 Thread

Associate
I saw the new star wars yesterday and was underwhelmed with both the sound and picture. We are getting to the age where a better than cinema experience can be had for a ‘reasonable’ amount.... just need 70”s to come down in price....

Associate
I saw the new star wars yesterday and was underwhelmed with both the sound and picture. We are getting to the age where a better than cinema experience can be had for a ‘reasonable’ amount.... just need 70”s to come down in price....

I feel IMAX is the only thing worth it nowadays, regular screens are a poor second.

Soldato

Yup.

My 5.1.2 KEF system with a Monolith sub already beats out the sound experience of a cinema and I'd say my setup is really low-mid-range.
I'd even say my Sony PJ on the ALR screen I have throws a better picture than the cinema.
Then if you bring a HDR OLED into the equation, its just total destruction.

77'' OLED at the right seating distance is game over for the cinema IMO for me.

Soldato
OP

It's not a surprise to me anyway but you'll see from these videos that the CX has an advantage compared to the Samsung even in a bright room while gaming. The Samsung just can't achieve it's peak brightness in game mode and in many scenes the LG OLED looks even brighter than the QLED.

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem is the 2k intermediate most films have to comply too, theres nothing really pushing visuals outside of HDR .
IMAX is probably worthy of a cinema ticket, but like you said most it not all the experience can be had on a 4k screen of any size.

Soldato

It's not a surprise to me anyway but you'll see from these videos that the CX has an advantage compared to the Samsung even in a bright room while gaming. The Samsung just can't achieve it's peak brightness in game mode and in many scenes the LG OLED looks even brighter than the QLED.

Yup. Any local dimming set with challenging content has to make the decision of prioritising blacks of specular highlight detail and brightness. They can't do both due to lack of pixel level control and I find its always evident even with the lights on. With the lights off, QLED and FALD images fall apart due to blooming.

Comparing the two, pixel level control also seems to give a sharpness to the image which LCDs can't compete with. Its as if the LCDs have a slightly blurry filter over them.

Caporegime
Turns out the 10 series OLED's don't support full 48Gbps bandwidth HDMI 2.1

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...d-tvs-dont-support-full-hdmi-21/#49d21a436276

But according to Vincent Teoh and Adam Fairclough (Evil Boris), it won't really be an issue as the panel is 120hz 10bit native, the 40Gbps limit means you can 'only' max out at 4k/120hz/444 with HDR and can't push up to 12bit - which the panel can't display anyway.

Soldato
OP

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...d-tvs-dont-support-full-hdmi-21/#49d21a436276

But according to Vincent Teoh and Adam Fairclough (Evil Boris), it won't really be an issue as the panel is 120hz 10bit native, the 40Gbps limit means you can 'only' max out at 4k/120hz/444 with HDR and can't push up to 12bit - which the panel can't display anyway.

that is correct, 40gbps is entropy use the TVs capabilities at once

Soldato

Yes. The panel is a 4k, 120hz, 10bit panel which is 40GBPS so its really not an issue at the moment. Aslong as it can do 4k, 120hz, 10bit HDR with gsync/VRR, I struggle to really understand why people are getting their knickers in a twist.

Has anyone seen a retailer selling the 77'' CX? I'm so eager to try and tie one up as I have about 50 4k HDR films on a list which I want to start cracking through.

Soldato
@UnLuckyBenski

Set my CX up today, coming from a B6 I would say, the image is brighter, HDR pops more, blacks are black, I had the latest firmware on B6 and that screwed up the blacks, although I didn't find it that bad, the CX has confirmed that blacks were slightly off on the B6.

The CX is a great update for me over the B6, I haven't tried game mode yet, will tomorrow, I really don't understand all this VRR/G sync/freesync stuff personally, so don't know what I expect to notice.

Still getting used to the settings and webOS as a few things have changed from my B6.

Heres a few pics I took earlier on my phone. 2049 UHD in filmmaker picture mode

IMG-1048.jpg
IMG-1045.jpg

IMG-1048.jpg

Soldato
What it like using the default apps for things like Netflix and Amazon my two sources.
I'd also be looking to use Plex though I have a feeling in still better off using an shield Pro as I want it to run the media server.

Also what's the difference between the 5LB, 5LC, 6LB and 6LA models?

The 48 seems to come in either 6LB or 5LC.

Last edited:
Soldato
What it like using the default apps for things like Netflix and Amazon my two sources.
I'd also be looking to use Plex though I have a feeling in still better off using an shield Pro as I want it to run the media server.

Also what's the difference between the 5LB, 5LC, 6LB and 6LA models?

The 48 seems to come in either 6LB or 5LC.

I don't use the internal apps, I watch from the apple tv 4k box.

The different model numbers is where it was built/factory.

Soldato
I use native Netflix and Amazon apps for maybe 50% of TV viewing. Netflix is ace, though I dislike their menu UI as it starts content playing with audio if you hover. Amazon app is... Pretty pants and bad UX but I test smart TV apps for a living. It works fine, and video itself is grand.

Soldato
I use native Netflix and Amazon apps for maybe 50% of TV viewing. Netflix is ace, though I dislike their menu UI as it starts content playing with audio if you hover. Amazon app is... Pretty pants and bad UX but I test smart TV apps for a living. It works fine, and video itself is grand.
Sounds like I'm better off just using a shield Pro for everything then.

Soldato
Sounds like I'm better off just using a shield Pro for everything then.
I mean my beef is with the app design which is probably the the same on any box. But there's a lot to be said for doing everything through one remote. For me that's the LG one :)

You can turn that off in your account settings (via a web browser, not from the app). :)
EPIC, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom