LG CX (C10) OLED 2020 Thread

Soldato
To be clear...

There’s an issue with HDMI 2.1 AVRs not being able to output uncompressed 4k120 signals which is what the new consoles output supposedly. You have to connect the PS5 or Xbox directly to the TV instead of the AVR, which defeats the point of the AVR to some degree. Then eArc provides the sound to your AVR.
The issue is the chip provided by Panasonic Solutions for all current 2.1 AVRs only supports compressed 4K120 signals.

The second issue is with the TV panels provided by LG Display (not LG) for all OLED panels used by all TV manufacturers. VRR exhibits raised blacks and can only be fixed with future LG Display panels when they fix the problem at a hardware level. There is no firmware fix.
There’s an HDTVTest YouTube clip doing the rounds that explains it in greater detail.

Soldato
Are there any pictures / videos of the VRR grey/black issue? I can read all about it but not see it to see if it's worth worrying about!

My gut feeling is to wait another year so 77" comes down a bit aswell, but with next gen looming I'm very keen to try 120hz.

Associate
Worth a look for gamers :)

https://youtu.be/x9n8Hz_RLqw

I'm actually using my 65inch more as a monitor than a Tv. Got an Alienware Area-51 Laptop, Mamba wireless mouse, Logitech G613 keyboard and a wooden cutting board shaped like a loaf of bread for mouse mat :)

Just couldn't be better, gone are the days of sitting at a desk.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone gone from an ef9500 to one of these? I know panel uniformity was meant to be poor on those 2015 models but i seemed to get a really good one so apart from the refresh rate, gsync and a couple of features that appeal to me as a gamer, would the panel upgrade actually feel worth it? It’s hard to view these (in a critical sense) in store and decide for myself so interested to hear from anyone else that’s gone from one OLED to another and whether or not they thought it was actually significant or not.

The fact I’m posting this probably means the seed is planted and I’ll find out for myself soon enough.

Soldato
My 77'' GX came in today and looks good.
Has less chassis noise (the cracking and clicking from the chassis heating up) than my CX, voice control, beautiful stunning form factor and the uniformity is much better.

Soldato
Worth a look for gamers :)

https://youtu.be/x9n8Hz_RLqw

I'm actually using my 65inch more as a monitor than a Tv. Got an Alienware Area-51 Laptop, Mamba wireless mouse, Logitech G613 keyboard and a wooden cutting board shaped like a loaf of bread for mouse mat :)

Just couldn't be better, gone are the days of sitting at a desk.

I do this with a 77'' GX. I use a Logitech G915 and G502 light-speed and its great. I'll never likely game at a desk again as I much prefer my Arendal 1723S speakers to my headphones.

Soldato
For what it's worth for anyone considering upgrading, I got the WX to replace the W7 that got broken when we moved it. The image quality is near identical and whilst it's nice to have HDMI 2.1 for my PS5/XSX this week I'd say it's not worth paying for an upgrade.

Associate
Cheers fella, I scratched the itch and would agree. It is a slightly better panel, and 120hz / gsync etc is nice, but the main upgrade for me was going up to 65” - a frivolous spend and really not justifiably worth doing even from the 2015 panel tech.

Soldato
My 65CX arrived yesterday, only had an hour to play around with it. It's quite an upgrade from my almost 5 year old 50" Sony LED!

Picture is stunning with 4k feed and impressed with the sound for a TV. However, I had a quick 10 minute blast on the PS4 (not pro) and yes I know it's only 1080p but it looked awful. Washed out colours and jaggies were very noticeable. It was only World of Warships so maybe that particular game doesn't upscale well but it's a huge downgrade from the Sony LED so must be something wrong there?

Found the menu's confusing at first but soon got the hang of it, not sure I like the wand though. Oh and the 65" is absolutely huge! It's too big for my man cave, so might end up putting it in the living room to replace the old faithful Panasonic Plasma, finally a TV that can beat it for inky blacks! :)

Caporegime
Assuming all settings are as they should be, a game that's native resolution is 1080p along with little to no anti-aliasing is always going to look awful up close on a 65 inch screen. The extra size alone is going to make jaggies stand out more. Regarding colours, did it default to game mode with the HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color setting switched on for the port?

I tried 1080p 120hz gaming a while back on a 55 inch B7 and that looked awful as well.

Soldato
Not 100% sure to be honest, it was a bit confusing as the TV kept changing picture and sound modes and as it's all new not sure why.

I did try the Pro settings with recommended settings in there and I know the HDMI cable is capable of doing everything it needs to. It's weird because when the PS4 first loads up to dashboard it looks very sharp, bright and colourful it was just the game itself looked really disappointing. Will have another play tonight.

Soldato
In most cases, each source you use requires the picture mode on the TV to be set. Make sure it’s not in Eco or some naff picture mode like that.

Soldato
Has the 48C10 actually been released yet or is it just extremely hard to get hold of?

Has been released and for a while, think plenty on forums for it. Just hard to get hold of as its not produced in much quantity. HDTV test did good explanation as it shares the same motherglass as athe 77" which is also not produced much. Can order it now from quick 10 sec google search with big electrical place having it for order if you want.

Back
Top Bottom