LG OLED B7 clicking power board fault

Soldato
So looks like my 6 year old OLED B7 is on its last legs. Started randomly clicking constantly and struggling to turn on. Reading online this points to bad capacitors on the power board?

LG and Curry’s don’t want anything to do with it. Annoying as the power board was changed as part of a recall by LG during 2021, so no doubt they cheaped out on the replacement parts and now I’m suffering the consequences.

Would replacing the capacitors be doable myself or is this not as simple as some make out? Alternatively is there anyway to source a replacement power board?

Thanks

Soldato
You should be able to take it to a local repair place and replace the caps quickly.

If you were closer to me, I would have offered to replace the caps (I've done this for my own equipment as a DIY/hobbyist - including high voltage 400V+ tube amp design).

All depends on how good you are with a soldering iron and being safe. You'd want a multimeter too for safety's sake (checking there's no charge for example) - it would also help troubleshoot before switching on. The caps are likely to be high voltage pieces hence probably easier to pay a repair guy in Essex (I'm in Surrey) by the time you buy the bits and tools. Replacement caps are relatively cheap (pence to a few quid each depending on spec).

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, repair shop should sort it otherwise if can afford to upgrade, go for it. The difference between the older oleds has come on massively especially with the picture quality.

Associate
A bit late to the thread but I had exactly the same issue, I also had the board changed under the recall.
If anyone has this problem it turns out it's the small black 12vDC relay switch which is at fault.
I replaced mine and all is good...a bit of soldering is required but cost was around £5 for the part.

Soldato
OP
A bit late to the thread but I had exactly the same issue, I also had the board changed under the recall.
If anyone has this problem it turns out it's the small black 12vDC relay switch which is at fault.
I replaced mine and all is good...a bit of soldering is required but cost was around £5 for the part.
Ah where did you source the replacement part from? I’m currently living with the issue and have been using a smart plug to turn the set on and off. Both Currys and LG have been unwilling to help.

Associate
None of my caps were showing bulging tops, sides or leakage...I traced the clicking noise using a makeshift earhorn... (Bottom of plastic bottle cut out and pressed to the ear)..
Without it it's very hard to pin point the faulty part.

Associate
This thread is interesting, I've a b7 oled about 6 years old, but not had a recall on it, bought it from Hughes at the time.

Was the recall a blanket recall or just certain serial numbers?

Associate
This thread is interesting, I've a b7 oled about 6 years old, but not had a recall on it, bought it from Hughes at the time.

Was the recall a blanket recall or just certain serial numbers?
I was led to believe it was a blanket recall.
Here is the link which might help, it was 2 years ago though....

Associate
Owners received a message through their OLED b7 screens...easily missed though as it was a bit random.
You could have had banners/notifications disabled in the settings but I guess this should have been overridden but who knows.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom