LG OLED55B7V price hikes everywhere??

Soldato
I had been looking to purchase this tv very soon, and also treating myself to the LG SJ9 Atmos soundbar at the same time...yet every major place has jumped up either £200 or £300! Pretty much the same hike for the soundbar too!

All the major sites changed their price 1st Feb if I’m not mistaken...Anyone understand why the sudden price change?

They were £1499 and £749 since well before Christmas!?

:(

Soldato
OP
They're probably putting their prices up now so they can have an Easter sale where they drop the price back down to £1,499 and claim "£300 off".

True, never thought of that, lets hope so!

The Soundbar is £699 at PRC and the TV is £1499 at Marks Electrical - so not all places have bumped the price, but yes those that have are probably planning for a spring sale.

Oh wow, thanks for that info!

An item needs to be at a certain price for a certain amount of time before they are allowed to say "was/now". We usually see this just before the final push to get rid of 2017 models before the 2018 models roll in.
The difference this year is that the higher end 2017 models are still selling very well - the high end Sony LCD's and the LG OLED's, so the common thought was prices didn't need to drop - these items would simply sell out first.
A price hike now is "probably" going to be a good thing in a month or so time, but could be a bad thing as supply gets low and if you want, you'll have to pay the inflated prices.
Remember, the 2018 OLED's are going to launch around £1k higher than the current 2017 prices.

Thanks for the info!

Soldato
OP
I was toying with the idea of picking one up this weekend and noticed the insane price hike. It's been noted on avforums that richer sounds/John Lewis will still honour the price match when you show them the same model is still for sale at £1429 at drakes displays.

And Richer Sounds knock another £20 off too, so that's not a bad price at all :)

Can this be done online, guys?

Soldato
OP
For whatever its worth guys, I thought I'd update this thread that I started to tell you that its 99% likely that I have been scammed by Drake Displays. Stupidly fell for their card processing being "down" and paid via invoice/bank transfer. Never in my days have I have done something stupid like that, but yet I did last week. I got weird contrasting emails thereafter about damaged stock, about resending, and then cancelling / refund not forgetting being fobbed off on the phone about what the hell is going on and being put on hold as soon as I mention my name/order number.

I quickly saw something was amiss when browsing their trustedsite.com (others complaining and warning), it immediately sent alarm bells ringing but it was already too late. Some reports popped up on avforums and hotukdeals but too late for me to notice.

I like a few others on trustedsite have reported them to actionfraud.police.uk and completed their detailed form, so what happens next is anybody's guess. I very much doubt I'll see the money returned.

Oh well, I'll push ahead and still get another...I hope I don't encounter some of the issues mentioned in this thread!

Soldato
OP
Have you reported it to your bank? They may be able to refund you.

Unfortunately not no, since it was a BT once the money has gone its gone they cannot reverse it or refund me under the usual credit card protections. The guy seemed a little smug telling me that part on the phone when I called the bank, but what can you do?...Except take it as a very big lesson learned! :(

Soldato
OP
I see AO have a 10% offer that ends today on ebay which includes the 55B7V. Since I've been burned by that other company thought I'd check if AO are okay (having read some of the replies in this thread, I'm thinking in case it has to go back because of issues etc?)

Had this reply for live chat, is this how others have been able to return faulty tv's by confirming it with LG before you are able to return it to the place you bought it from??

• We would be more than happy to return an item within 30 days providing it hasn't been connected or used at all. If this arrives damaged, of course, we'll get that replaced. If there is a fault with the machine, if reported within 30 days we just ask to confirm the fault with the manufacturers and then we can return it.
  • 3:14:40 p.m.
    However, we don't intend on sending out poor quality or faulty units and wouldn't sell anything that wasn't trusted.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well I'm still waiting for the right moment to hit that order button, I missed an Amazon price drop which was live for several hours I believe @ 1550 or something. Oh well, it can't be long until the 2018 models start popping up online, since the B7 was originally released March 27th 2017! I was tempted by one of the Super UHD sets instead, but I have my heart set on this OLED, never had a decent TV and the PQ on the B7 I saw in the flesh was stunning! The TV is the last thing on the list since my room has been remodelled - I've got an Apple TV, XBOX-X, Virgin Tivo and the SJ9 sound-bar all waiting to be connected to this TV! Come on price drops...where are you!!!

Soldato
OP
I'd be really careful if you've set your heart on an OLED and them going out of stock. Historically prices drop before the new models hit, but with people still wanting the B7/C7 and it selling as well as it does, there truly is a good chance it'll OOS before it drops that much further.
The 2018 models are gonna launch around £1k higher, so if you miss the 2017 models you'll be looking at November before the 2018 models take their first price drop.

Uh-oh, well I best keep a close eye on them then over next few weeks...it's annoying though how I'd see the same price (1499) for a good 5/6 months and the moment I decide to buy one it shoots up across the internet!

If what you say happens then well I'll go with the back up model (55 or 65 SJ850), still a mighty fine tv according to reviews at least.

EDIT: LG has updated their website to include the new 2018 models throughout their range, no price details as of yet, but the specs are there. The 2018 version of the B7 is the OLED55B8PLA I think!?

Soldato
OP
Aye, I noticed it on the morning of the drop having spent countless weeks refreshing and rechecking, I noticed it on Amazon, then thankfully Currys which I got it from! :)

Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom