LGA775.

Permabanned
So, first post on the forums - but i've got the components bug and i'm having a bit of a dilemma.

I've been building systems for everyone else for years, and i've only just got around to getting my own house in order lately. Bought a good case and sorted the airflow out properly with a mind to be upgrading under the hood pretty soon. Thing is, I don't know if I can really swing the cost of a socket 1366 system.

My rig is old - and I mean old! P4 Irwindale @ 3GHz on a very old and crusty ASUS P5S800-VM. (I'm still using AGP for **** sake!) I need to upgrade and I will be upgrading. Bottom line.

It was my plan to leapfrog components by upgrading the M/B to a socket 775 that could take the P4, then eventually getting the Q9650. Now, because my M/B is so old, I need to upgrade the RAM and the GFX as well which leaves me in a tight situation financially.

I can get a decent system for under £300 using the 775 socket, but i'd be buying a dying breed, right?

Socket 1366 is (obviously) the way I want to go but I really don't know if the missus would forgive me for spending that kind of money.

Is it even worth bothering with a 775 build at all? I'd say no, but the price is really pushing me into considering it.

Permabanned
OP
Nothing wrong with 775 mate. It might not be topping benchmarks but my rig in sig chews through anything i throw at it. Wont be upgrading myself until something significantly better than i7 comes along.

If i were you i'd just go for 775 considering how cheaply you can put a good one together for now. You can always take gfx with you in future as well.

And this is my dilemma. I can put an i7 system together for ~£500.

Is it worth the extra couple hundred notes? And i'll be set to upgrade GFX with PCIe, CPU (with the socket in tow), and RAM from then on in. It's just such a big jump from my current rig.

To be honest, I'm either gonna be shelling out a load of cash now, or later.

Back
Top Bottom