License question (CBT)

Soldato
Hi all

I've done my CBT and currenly have a pervisonal car license.

Is it correct that I can ride mopeds up to 125cc with L plates for the time being?

If I pass my driving test withing the 2 years that my CBT is valid what can I ride with or without L plates (mopeds)?

the below is confusing me... does this mean i can only ride a 50cc? or does it mean i still have to use L plates on a 125cc?

You passed your driving test on or after 1 February 2001
You’ll get a full moped licence if you either:

• pass your car driving test and then complete a compulsory basic training (CBT) course
  • complete a CBT course and then pass your car driving test within two years

You can then ride a moped (up to 50cc) without L plates. You don’t need to take the full moped test.

You can ride mopeds for as long as your car driving licence lasts.

Hope that makes sense.

Soldato
You're correct in that the car driving test only allows up to 50cc mopeds and you'd need one of the bike tests to ride 125 mopeds without L plates but I'm not sure which.

This article explains it somewhat: https://www.scooter.co.uk/can-i-drive-a-125cc-moped-on-a-car-licence

Edit: This one explains too: https://www.scooter.co.uk/what-do-i-need-to-ride-a-125cc-moped

Looks like A1 test required to ride 125cc without L plates. I passed in 2010 in Northern Ireland so only did one full A test (2 parts) and no CBT required so apologies for not being clued up.

Soldato
Thanks buddy.

I think I can ride a 125 with L plates without having to do my cbt again.

Just trying to avoid doing another CBT if I can

No worries, just be aware the CBT only lasts 2 years or you have to do another or the test during the 2 years.

Man of Honour
If you've got a valid CBT you can ride up to a 125cc with L plates, if you don't you can't unless you've got an A1,A2 or A motorcycle licence in which case you can ride one without L plates. No car licence will change this.

Soldato
OP
If you've got a valid CBT you can ride up to a 125cc with L plates, if you don't you can't unless you've got an A1,A2 or A motorcycle licence in which case you can ride one without L plates. No car licence will change this.
so on that basis even with a car license, I will have to renew my CBT once it expires in order to ride a 125 moped?

Man of Honour
so on that basis even with a car license, I will have to renew my CBT once it expires in order to ride a 125 moped?
Correct.
Also a moped is a very specific thing in law, 50cc or less and with a top speed of 28mph so you don't get 125cc mopeds "technically" although I know a lot of people refer to anything twist and go as a moped.

Soldato
OP
Correct.
Also a moped is a very specific thing in law, 50cc or less and with a top speed of 28mph so you don't get 125cc mopeds "technically" although I know a lot of people refer to anything twist and go as a moped.
Thats great many thanks.

i can justify the price of a cbt every 2 years until i can find a need for a full motorcycle license :)

Back
Top Bottom