Light Orbs

Associate
Well towards the beginning of the week I made a start on making an Orb Tool. I have been fascinated by these for some time now and really wanted to give it a go. Here's the first results, were done indoors due to the weather :(

The prep

Can you tell what it's going to be??? by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

The first Orb

First Orb by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

After the first night the wire I used broke, so got the tools out and used a good bit of Hi Flex power cord. Results was quite better and more controlled, a bit more practise and should be looking dam good :D Was quite hard avoiding the couch and worktop though hence one or two off swings.

Another Indoor Orb by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Associate
OP
Haha yea, it's not as easy as it looks! Hopefully tonight if there's some clear sky's, isle of Lewis weather isn't very forgiving. It's the best stanly knife I've used! It's from my wife's took kit.... Obviously haha!

Associate
OP
Thanks its so fun.

Orb Setup: Battery powered LED Christmas lights, £1.50 Ebay. Snipped the cable so the LED's were separate from the battery pack. Soldered a 3 core flex (Very flexible one as used in 4 way plugs) to the battery pack and the LED section so the cable in full was about 1.5 - 2 meters. One core was left as you only need a two core. Will uploads photo later of it, I actually bought 2 of the Lights sets for less £2.50 to make two of them one will be gelled over with colors for variety.

Soldato
Cool!

One thing I don't understand though. Given that you'd be standing fairly still in the middle of the orb while you create it, how do you not show up on the photos? On the indoors one, I'd expect to see some faint image of you inside the orb yet there's nothing?

Associate
OP
Actually the reason you don't see me is that I don't stand still at all! There is a 'nack' to making the Orb perfectly round (I'm still learning)

If you look at the two indoor orbs you can see a marker (lens cover) on the floor, basically every swing of the tool has to swing directly over that so you actually walk around the Orb while making. There are a good few tutorials on-line for it if you want to check it out in more detail.

Back
Top Bottom