Lightroom Alternative for Mac.

Caporegime
I've always used LR with PC but I really don't take too many photographs these days. I used to hang on in there with LR5 and PS elements which was more than enough for my use. I even got LR5 to load on an M1 Mac which worked fine until recently.

I don't see the point of going to a monthly sub for the 200 photos I might take a year on my DSLR so I was thinking of just paying for the months I want to edit some photos and cancel it when I'm not using it. Or if anyone has any other suggestions of software to use instead?

Soldato
I've always used LR with PC but I really don't take too many photographs these days. I used to hang on in there with LR5 and PS elements which was more than enough for my use. I even got LR5 to load on an M1 Mac which worked fine until recently.

I don't see the point of going to a monthly sub for the 200 photos I might take a year on my DSLR so I was thinking of just paying for the months I want to edit some photos and cancel it when I'm not using it. Or if anyone has any other suggestions of software to use instead?
I use https://www.dxo.com/dxo-photolab/
DXO processes pictures better than LR imo. However I can process much faster in LR using VSCO keys (opensource).
So I use both..

Associate
What camera do you have ? I have a Canon and still use Canon's DPP software from time to time. I like using it to organise / sort through pictures after shooting to get rid of the crap ones quickly. I also like that it doesn't create a huge catalogue file, or that you need to 'import' the images in first. Point it at a folder, and it'll display whats in it.

If you're looking for something to manage the files, then Adobe Bridge might be worth a look ?

I then have affinity photo which for a 1 off payment ( OK, 2 actually when going from versions 1 to 2, but acceptable upgrade costs ) has been good as well for RAW conversion and editing pictures in a manner similar to photoshop/LR... takes a bit of learning but gets things done. I have the universal license as I use the the other parts of the suite as well to create stuff for the wife's school. A downside is that its like a photoshop workflow where you feel you're editing 1 image at a time rather than a collection in the way that LR makes it feel. I do wish Serif would make a content manager for thier Affinity Suite ... it would tie the whole lot together well.

I've tried luminar Neo, but found it a bit meh / gimmicky, and trying to push templates and features at you for extra cost.
Not tried the others like DXO or ON1 much... felt the prices were a bit steep personally for my needs.

I've also tried Darktable ... I suppose I felt it was trying to be like LR, but is methods were just that bit different that to get the most out of it, I think you'd really need to spend time learning and using it, which in your circumstance I dont think would be what you want.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom