1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightroom alternative...

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Gambit, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Gambit

Gangster

Hello all,

Really frustrated with Adobe and I am after sensible lightroom alternative, want to avoid online licences and pref one time payment (or free options) options.

Ideally want it to handle RAW images and help with file management along with editing, of course!

Any suggestions guys?

2. EssexBoy

Hitman

Capture One was fine when i used it.

Try the 30 day free trial.

3. Spleen Sauce

Hitman

Yep, Capture One Pro is excellent though it’s not cheap.

4. Clov!s

Capodecina

Affinity photo too.

5. EGuitarStar

Wise Guy

Luminar by Skylim is widely popular and it is not expensive. It currently doesn't have file management but I've read this will be introduced for free in a December update.

6. mid_gen

Sgarrista

Nothing is really as good as Lightroom imo....but since I'm all Sony now (RX100 and A7), I've switched to Capture One, as it's free for Sony users.

Lightroom subscriptions can do one.

7. MartinPrince

Gangster

Have a look at DXO Photolab. Works great with RAW files and its Prime noise reduction is second to none. Doesn't support Fuji cameras apparently though.

8. Marlie

Gangster

Are you sure Capture One is free for Sony users? Ive heard its just discounted?

9. mid_gen

Sgarrista

Hmm looks like they've changed things up with v12, so there's now a paid tier for Sony users.

The Sony Express version still looks pretty decent.

10. Minstadave

Capodecina

Watching this with interest. Not sure Adobe CC is great value at the monthly rate. Occaionally the year subscription comes up on Amazon for an OK deal but missed it this year.

11. Spleen Sauce

Hitman

Capture One Pro 12 isn't cheap but it is worth it - some of the masking features are absolutely superb.

12. antc

Wise Guy

Usually comes up discounted on Black Friday and over Christmas. I got it on BF for £75 I think it was. But I am also interested in other alternatives without monthly subs so watching with interest.

13. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

DxO?

14. And

Hitman

LR I can live without, PS on the other hand... I tend to use Canon DPP for raw conversion (or ACR for some stuff) but it all gets finished up in PS.

15. rodders

Wise Guy

I quite like ON1, 2019 has been released, but obviously is another cost on what's I've paid already. But feel like I'm stuck with lightroom as have been using it for so long.

I don't really use PS, wish they did a more suitable pagacke for what I need.

Now Flickr has started to charge, I wish I could have lightroom and 1TB of space for the same price and dump Flickr

16. Donnie Fisher

Gangster

I'm trying to wean myself off lightroom and have gone back to canon DPP for the general photo management aspects and then affinity photo for the more complex editing. I like that DPP saves it's edits right into the files aswell.

Lightroom appears to have an edge though in performance over dpp when browsing large amounts of images, but I just want away from the subscription model.

17. robj20

Soldato

I'm liking Capture One. I have the express version as it's free for Sony cameras. I find it better in every way to lightroom.

18. Funky-Melon

Gangster

Another vote for DXO, been using it for a few years and as said above, the PRIME noise reduction is second to none.