Lightweight Client Based Database with Java.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
I am teaching in a school next year and need a lightweight database client that can connect relatively easily with Java (using Netbeans IDE if that makes a difference).

As it is a school network I need something that doesn't need a supporting server infrastructure and could preferably be installed on a citrix server.

The desktop is 32bit whilst the citrix install is 64bit so I cant use Access.

Preferably it would also have a DBMS function so the students can create tables, add data etc, without writing SQL queries.

Any ideas?

Soldato
Why not use Apache Derby (aka Java DB)? It is small and embedded so you don't need to worry about having to run a server somewhere. It also has a built in JDBC driver so you can embed it in any Java application.

I'm pretty sure Netbeans supports it out of the box as well.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
OP
Why not use Apache Derby (aka Java DB)? It is small and embedded so you don't need to worry about having to run a server somewhere. It also has a built in JDBC driver so you can embed it in any Java application.

I'm pretty sure Netbeans supports it out of the box as well.

I shall have a look, does it have a DBMS? Most of my experience is with MSSQL installations but if it is included in the school NetBeans install it is one less request I have to put through!

Sadly they won't let me have any admin rights otherwise I would just install and run a SQL server. :)

Thanks!

Caporegime
Are you wanting to teach relational data principles at the same time? If not, consider a document DB like MongoDB. Simple key-value storage, where the value can be any object you want. You won't even need to "install" it, as it can be referenced within your app and also run within the same process.

Cue warnings about the security problems MongoDB used to have, which can be ignored for this use case :p

RDM

RDM

Soldato
OP
It is for a Y13 project, they need to create an application that, in most cases, connects to a relational database. I have just had a play on the citrix netbeans install and can create databases using it, so I just need to get familiar with the interfaces and how to connect and it looks like that may be the easy solution. Thanks Cromulent!

The curses of a managed network where someone else has all the keys. But then I guess you wouldn't want teachers in general having admin access!

Man of Honour
Derby sounds a good fit if you don't have admin rights. It's a pure Java database and can be run either standalone or embedded in an application.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
OP
Derby sounds a good fit if you don't have admin rights. It's a pure Java database and can be run either standalone or embedded in an application.

Yeah, messing about with that now, haven't yet found a way to create relationships other than via SQL, but other than that is probably more than enough for their needs.

Back
Top Bottom