LineageOS custom rom

Associate
Hi all,
Anyone have any experience using custom roms on their phone? Particularly LineageOS?
I'm trying to stretch out the life of my Xperia XZ premium while I find a suitable replacement.
In the past I used cyanogen mod (which I believe lineageOS has evolved from) on a samsung galaxy S2 and found it great.

Soldato
Any particular you need to know? I'm running it on my tablet (S5e) and my backup phone (OnePlus 7T Pro), only thing missing is Play Integrity API which is required for things like banking to work, although you can patch this with Magisk (but it's a constant cat and mouse game with Google trying to patch workarounds). Some devices may also lack Widevine L1 required for streaming services too, without it Netflix for example will limit to standard definition.

Associate
OP
Any particular you need to know? I'm running it on my tablet (S5e) and my backup phone (OnePlus 7T Pro), only thing missing is Play Integrity API which is required for things like banking to work, although you can patch this with Magisk (but it's a constant cat and mouse game with Google trying to patch workarounds). Some devices may also lack Widevine L1 required for streaming services too, without it Netflix for example will limit to standard definition.
Lack of Play integrity (and another similar sounding thing I can't remember) seems like the major issue.
Are your devices on the official list or are they unofficial versions of lineageOS?
My phone only has unofficial version available. There are other roms, so could try them.

Soldato
Lack of Play integrity (and another similar sounding thing I can't remember) seems like the major issue.
Are your devices on the official list or are they unofficial versions of lineageOS?
My phone only has unofficial version available. There are other roms, so could try them.
Both of mine are official. Play Integrity replaced SafetyNet which was the previous way these apps checked for full security. As said though there is a Magisk patch that can get around this. XZP is rather dated now so could be why it's no longer "official", but the unofficial ROM should still be fine assuming the maintainer is on top of things.

Soldato
On a device that old you should be fine. Main issues would be lack of Google wallet/pay and lots of banking apps don't work but there is Magisk Hide for that although it doesn't work with every app so best to check your apps first

Associate
Not sure if it's a problem on the XZ premium but on the 1 ii and newer phones LineageOS makes them lose Widevine status and netflix/others will only run at 480p afterwards.

Something to be aware of since your phone has the nice high res display.

Back
Top Bottom