Linksys vs. Belkin

Associate
Hi

I am going to buy one of the following router/modems: Does anyone have any preference or has any problems with any on these

1) Linksys WAG54GX2 MIMO

2) Belkin Pre-N ADSL 2/2+ MIMO Router

I know that the Linksys gets good reviews but the Belkin is new. The only review I found was in my PC mag which said it was very good.

Cheers
S

Soldato
Belkin are dire, their support and firmware releases are all but non-existent. I was given a Belkin Pre-N router that somebody didn't want, within 6 hours of using it it had been reflashed with a Linksys WRT54GX v1.x firmware to actually give the damn thing a usable interface (plus WPA2 support). So I now have a nice Linksys router in a Belkin case :D

Associate
TheMightyTen said:
Belkin are dire, their support and firmware releases are all but non-existent. I was given a Belkin Pre-N router that somebody didn't want, within 6 hours of using it it had been reflashed with a Linksys WRT54GX v1.x firmware to actually give the damn thing a usable interface (plus WPA2 support). So I now have a nice Linksys router in a Belkin case :D

Didn't know you could do that :confused:

Soldato
My belkin router sucks. Have my brother to owe for that purchase. I prefer netgear and yes most definetely linksys over belkin. Arent linksys like part of cisco or something?

Associate
OP
Thanks all

The Linksys was my first choice until Belkin released their router with added adsl. I think it was computer shopper magazine that gave it a high rating but I'll stick with the Linksys as it seems to have good reviews on most sites.

Thanks again
S

Soldato
asim said:
My belkin router sucks. Have my brother to owe for that purchase. I prefer netgear and yes most definetely linksys over belkin. Arent linksys like part of cisco or something?

They are now owned by Cisco, but don't for a second compare Linksys products to Cisco product. (Basically think of them as 2 seperate companies)

Soldato
Never had a single problem with my Belkin 54g router! and I know 3 other people with belkin routers who have never had anything bad to say about them.....

topher

Commissario
oddjob62 said:
They are now owned by Cisco, but don't for a second compare Linksys products to Cisco product. (Basically think of them as 2 seperate companies)

And Cisco seem to be encouraging Linksys to remove/nueter the models that have the ability to have extra features added (getting a tad too close to the functions of the much more expensive Cisco stuff I beleive).

Anyway back on topic, in a choice between Linksys and Belkin

Give me an L

Give me an I

Give me a N

Give me a K

Give me a S
*cough*

Definately Linksys, Belkin to my mind should stick to making over priced, gold plated modem and power cables.

/glares at Belkin 8 port switch that locks up about once a week

Soldato
I agree, get the Linksys. I have Belkin wireless networking gear... on the occasion that you can actually get the stupid network card installed, the connection drops out frequently and the router needs a hard reset every few weeks.

Soldato
OK then experts.
I want a PCI card and an ADSL Modem/Router (both wireless) and dont want to pay over £100 for the two, needs to be as fast and future-proof as possible.
please carry on.

Back
Top Bottom