LINQ to SQL problem

Associate
Am trying to use LIQ to populate dropdown lists and also a gridview, been following one of the many online tutorials and come up with the following:
Code:
 CCDataContext db = new CCDataContext();
                        string connectionString = System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["ABPConnectionString1"];
                        db.Connection.ConnectionString = connectionString;

var CCArea =
                        from c in db.tbl_CC_AreaInfos 
                        select c;

GrdDynamic.DataSource = CCArea.ToList();
                        GrdDynamic.DataBind();

As this is just a test to see how to work with LINQ I am trying to return the entire table to a gridview, the problem lies in that nothing gets displayed to the gridview and I am not sure why?

I can see that CCArea contains 3012 rows, so it has the data, so it must be something to do with the next two lines.

Do I have to populate the datagrid with columns prior to binding the datasource or will the columns autogenerate?

Any other ideas?

Matt

Thanks for that, sometimes the simplest things...

One other question:

I have a query that I need to perform that involves 6 tables, some have a single field linking then together whilst the main 2 have 4 fields linking them. Can you give me an example of how I create a query like this using LINQ?

Matt

SQL that I ma trying to reproduce in LINQ:

Code:
SELECT tbl_CC_Times.txtTimeDescription
FROM (((tbl_CC_ZonePrices INNER JOIN tbl_CC_Surcharge ON (tbl_CC_ZonePrices.[Company] = tbl_CC_Surcharge.[CompanyCode]) AND (tbl_CC_ZonePrices.[DeliveryPeriod] = tbl_CC_Surcharge.[intDayCode]) AND (tbl_CC_ZonePrices.[Zone] = tbl_CC_Surcharge.[ZoneCode]) AND (tbl_CC_ZonePrices.[MinWeight] = tbl_CC_Surcharge.[MinWgt]) AND (tbl_CC_ZonePrices.[MaxWeight] = tbl_CC_Surcharge.[MaxWgt])) INNER JOIN tbl_CC_Times ON tbl_CC_Surcharge.[TimeCode] = tbl_CC_Times.[IDCode]) INNER JOIN tbl_CC_DayOfWeek ON tbl_CC_ZonePrices.[DeliveryPeriod] = tbl_CC_DayOfWeek.[IDCode]) INNER JOIN (tbl_CC_AreaCompanyZoneGeoChrge INNER JOIN tbl_CC_AreaInfo ON tbl_CC_AreaCompanyZoneGeoChrge.[intAreaCode] = tbl_CC_AreaInfo.[IDCode]) ON (tbl_CC_ZonePrices.[Company] = tbl_CC_AreaCompanyZoneGeoChrge.[intCompany]) AND (tbl_CC_ZonePrices.[Zone] = tbl_CC_AreaCompanyZoneGeoChrge.[intZone])
WHERE (((tbl_CC_AreaInfo.txtPostcodeSubArea)="S63") AND ((tbl_CC_DayOfWeek.txtDOWDescription)="NDay"))
GROUP BY tbl_CC_Times.txtTimeDescription
ORDER BY tbl_CC_Times.txtTimeDescription;

The linq code I have come up with:
Code:
var tests = from t in db.tbl_CC_Times
                         join s in db.tbl_CC_Surcharges on t.IDCode equals s.TimeCode
                         join zp in db.tbl_CC_ZonePrices on new { CompanyCode = s.CompanyCode, DayCode = s.intDayCode, ZoneCode = s.ZoneCode, MinWgt = s.MinWgt, MaxWgt = s.MaxWgt } equals new { CompanyCode = zp.Company, DayCode = zp.DeliveryPeriod, ZoneCode = zp.Zone, MinWgt = zp.MinWeight, MaxWgt = zp.MaxWeight }
                         join dow in db.tbl_CC_DayOfWeeks on zp.DeliveryPeriod equals dow.IDCode
                         join aczgc in db.tbl_CC_AreaCompanyZoneGeoChrges on new { zp.Company, zp.Zone } equals new { Company = aczgc.intCompany, Zone = aczgc.intZone }
                         join ai in db.tbl_CC_AreaInfos on aczgc.intAreaCode equals ai.IDCode
                         where ai.txtPostcodeSubArea == "S63" && dow.txtDOWDescription == "Nday"
                         select t.txtTimeDescription;

The LINQ code returns nothing, it runs through ok (after fixing sulls in the database backend) but just returns nothing and I don't have a clue why?

Matt

Ok so now figured out it is returning results, can see this by hovering over the DataSource and drilling down through it's attributes, however when I try to bind the results I get the following error:

'cmbTime' has a SelectedValue which is invalid because it does not exist in the list of items.
Parameter name: value

Searching the internet I see it is something to do with referential integrity of the database. however I can't work out how or why?

Any ideas as to how I can track this down?

Matt

P.S. If I add another dropdownlist and send the results to it there is no problem, if I switch the names around again it works no problem - so I guess this leads me to something to do with the definiton of the control cmbTime - but what?

Last edited:
sorted it out with a bit more googling and found for some reason I need to include the following:

cmbTime.Items.Clear();
cmbTime.SelectedValue = null;

prior to binding.

At the moment this only seems to affect one of my dropdownlists, which i find very strange.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom