• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Linus has the infamous Ryzen random restart/shut down problem

Soldato
Amen brother, AMD needs to fix its unstable Bios/Mobo support.

I've actually had this issue on my 5950x as have many others - disabling c states is not ideal because it raises idle load by 40 watts on the 5950x and therefore temps too (it's because once c states is disabled the minimum voltage for the cpu core goes from 0.9v to 1.1v)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
What does your 5950x idle at? I have a 5900x but it's in a server and it idles at nearly 100w (at the wall with loads of other stuff in the system, but still high). I wonder if my c states aren't kicking in properly as it's an unraid (linux) server.

C states enabled 40w at idle, c states disabled 80w at idle. (Taken from HWinfo for the Cpu package sensor)

Soldato
OP
Ok, his CPU is overclocked, i was assuming that they would be testing this without any overclocks as overclocking any CPU will introduce stability issues, any tech enthusiasts worth their salt shouldn't be blaming overclocked system instability on the CPU.

Unless this problem persist with the CPU at stock there is nothing wrong with it, but rather his overclock, in which case the CPU should not be sent back.

The title of this thread is misleading and hyperbolic to what its actually referring to. Which is simple an instructional video on diagnosing power management problems.

This issue happens with my stock 5950x and many others at stock - I've personally tried overclocking to see if the issue gets worse but it's the same overclocked or stock it makes no difference

Back
Top Bottom