Lit Fibre

Caporegime
Looks like Lit have been sniffing around here and are showing as "on the way" on their checker. Might end up going from ~70Mbps FTTC to two FTTP providers in the space of a few months.

Associate
Just had it installed today and the guys were excellent (even if my neighbour was being a douche about cables) and they found a route to another pole and then to my house. Echo above, Router seems a bit poor. He tested and got 481/404 and said it would settle. I can only get about 130/100 now...so I'll give it a few days. That said it is about 3 times quicker at that level than my Vodabone connection.

Also going to try and get my Nighthawk on there rather than their router.

Soldato
OP
That's a complete nonsense. Full fibre services don't 'settle' like variable rate DSL services over copper do. It's s standard thing that installers say so that they can finish up and get onto the next job.
I was skeptical about that when the engineer showed me 500/500 on his tablet and my PC was a bit lower but I have been seeing 530/430 fairly consistently. If you check the supplied router it should be synced at 1000/1000 which is what I see in my router settings.

Just contact them as they seemed quite keen to make sure people were happy with the service.

Soldato
I was skeptical about that when the engineer showed me 500/500 on his tablet and my PC was a bit lower but I have been seeing 530/430 fairly consistently. If you check the supplied router it should be synced at 1000/1000 which is what I see in my router settings.

Just contact them as they seemed quite keen to make sure people were happy with the service.

It's a nonsense. There's no sync rate with fibre, the 1000/1000 you see will be the the physical link speed on one of the interfaces of the router, most likely the fibre port.

The whole settling thing is only related to variable rate DSL services (eg, VDSL/FTTC), they start off at a lower sync rate and then increase over time using a process called DLM, dynamic line management. That doesn't apply to full fibre services.

Last edited:
Associate
Just had it installed today and the guys were excellent (even if my neighbour was being a douche about cables) and they found a route to another pole and then to my house. Echo above, Router seems a bit poor. He tested and got 481/404 and said it would settle. I can only get about 130/100 now...so I'll give it a few days. That said it is about 3 times quicker at that level than my Vodabone connection.

Also going to try and get my Nighthawk on there rather than their router.

Keep the Lit Fibre router safe as I believe that you need to return it to them, once your service has ended. (this information is in the FAQ)

I thinking about moving to them as I been offered a good deal £33 for 500/500 for 18 months, are people still happy with them

My concern it is a small company and does not seem to offer any speed guarantees.

i would keep my copper line with G fast for my phone line so would have a fall back in case (still have 9 months left to run with talktalk)

I would use my own unifi router, just need the cable modem supplied. Have you tried your Nighthawk router?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I thinking about moving to them as I been offered a good deal £33 for 500/500 for 18 months, are people still happy with them

My concern it is a small company and does not seem to offer any speed guarantees.
Small sample size but no issues so far with my speed or connection.

Friend in Swindon was asking me which provider to go with and there 6 or 7 small companies I'd never heard of and little to no feedback. So far their feedback on Trustpilot for example is good.

Talk Talk asked for their router back and said they might charge for it but also provided a pre-paid return package.

Associate
Small sample size but no issues so far with my speed or connection.

Friend in Swindon was asking me which provider to go with and there 6 or 7 small companies I'd never heard of and little to no feedback. So far their feedback on Trustpilot for example is good.

Talk Talk asked for their router back and said they might charge for it but also provided a pre-paid return package.
Yes I seen the feedback on Trustpilot look good. I only seen one bad review about speed

Good thing to know about TalkTalk also their router back as well. Maybe it a recycle requirement now, in the past when i moved ISP I was left with the router.

Do you use the supplied router?

Soldato
OP
Yes I seen the feedback on Trustpilot look good. I only seen one bad review about speed

Good thing to know about TalkTalk also their router back as well. Maybe it a recycle requirement now, in the past when i moved ISP I was left with the router.

Do you use the supplied router?
Yes Talk Talk promoted the need to recycle as the reason to send it back.

I did look into adding mesh extenders but the supplier was OEM only from what I found at the time. At the moment I'm using the supplied router.

Last edited:
Associate
Keep the Lit Fibre router safe as I believe that you need to return it to them, once your service has ended. (this information is in the FAQ)

i would keep my copper line with G fast for my phone line so would have a fall back in case (still have 9 months left to run with talktalk)

I would use my own unifi router, just need the cable modem supplied. Have you tried your Nighthawk router?

Yes - literally plug and play and bingo all worked without doing anything. With vodafone I had to faff about with a load of settings and it was never really that happy for whatever reason.

My offer was/is £24/month for 18...

Associate
Yes - literally plug and play and bingo all worked without doing anything. With vodafone I had to faff about with a load of settings and it was never really that happy for whatever reason.

My offer was/is £24/month for 18...

Thanks, good to hear it working fine with your router and that offer you got was a good deal.

Associate
Just had Lit installed. Bang on 500 coming in via their hub, and really good experience with setup etc. Customer service were good, engineer was great and super helpful.

That said, struggling to get it to run through my own router (old netgear one which probably needs replacing). I can't see any settings in the calix admin panel to switch on routing or anything similar (which was an option on my pre fibre setup). Had previously had a plus net DSL service, running into a draytek modem out to the netgear, and was running a bunch of wired and wifi connections off that. I was hoping to just switch the router over to the new fibre connection.

Anyone mind sharing specifics of how they have got it working with a non lit device? i.e. which router model, did you run it on from the lit wifi hub or straight out of the CSP, and did you need to change any settings on the calix panel?

Apologies in advance, as I'm sure its a "me" issue not a service issue

Associate
Last edited:
Caporegime
You should just be able to go from the ethernet port on the Lit fibre box on the wall into the WAN port of your router. You need to make sure the WAN port on your router is configured for DHCP rather than PPPoE.

Associate
I'm moving shortly and Lit are up and running where I'm moving to, very tempted by the current deal: 3-months free then 15 months @ £27 for 500/500. Quick question about the install... Can I take the direct incoming fibre and go stratight to the SFP WAN port on my UDM-Pro? Cheers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom