Little Discoveries

Soldato
Don't you just love it when you make one of those little discoveries that makes your life a bit easier. :D

Today I discovered the 'traceroute mac' command on CDP enabled cisco devices (to find the L2 device and port where a MAC address is located rather than having to log on each switch down the path and manually tracing, can also show the path between 2 MAC addresses). I have no clue how I'd not come across this before. :eek:

This thread may fail and flop, but perhaps others might want to share their "daily discoveries" (you never know, it might help someone else!)

In before "don't eat yellow snow", "don't pee in the wind" etc.

Soldato
Learning that I had been tying my shoelaces the wrong way round all my life and correcting it has literally changed my life as they never come undone anymore.

*edit*

Plus learning how to shop fold a t-shirt in three seconds.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
The insert screenshot command in Word. Literally saved me ours of work in a couple of recent assignments.

Soldato
OP
Learning that I had been tying my shoelaces the wrong way round all my life and correcting it has literally changed my life as they never come undone anymore.

*edit*

Plus learning how to shop fold a t-shirt in three seconds.

I know I tie my laces the wrong way, I've done it all my life so that's motivated me to go and learn the proper way. A friend of mine does the same so I don't feel like a freak! :D

Soldato
Today I discovered the 'traceroute mac' command on CDP enabled cisco devices (to find the L2 device and port where a MAC address is located rather than having to log on each switch down the path and manually tracing, can also show the path between 2 MAC addresses). I have no clue how I'd not come across this before. :eek:

Thanks for this! :)

Soldato
That 'F2' will put whatever is highlighted, editable. I.e. a file name/field in excel

Basic, but I didn't know it before last week.

Soldato
OP
I'll share another recent discovery... the unix join command. Saves a lot of hassle merging files that have a common key! Despite my example, it's best to ensure that both files are sorted by the common key first to avoid any unpredictable behaviour.

EG:

$ cat file1
John,3841
Dave,3692
Harry,3102

$ cat file2
John,Accounts
Dave,Support
Harry,Sales

$ join -t "," -j1 1 -j2 1 -o 1.1 1.2 2.2 file1 file2

(so join with comma as delimiter, join on field 1 of file 1 and field 1 of file 2, then output file1.field1, file1.field2, file2.field2 - and the input files are file1 and file2)

Dave,3692,Support
Harry,3102,Sales
John,3841,Accounts

It's very fast and I use it in some scripts to merge some rather large output tables. The method I was using before I discovered this was a fair bit slower.

Last edited:

Dup

Dup

Soldato
When thick bread jams the toaster, you can just shove the handle up to get it out. My girlfriend 7 year old thinks I'm a genius!

That said, I still shove a knife in there.

Back
Top Bottom