Living in a terrace house

Associate
Been in my first home for 3 years now. It's a beautiful Victorian terrace close to 2 train stations to get to Manchester in 15 minutes. Was looking to sell this year to move to a nicer area but think we are going to wait it out another year.

As much as I love the house to look at and the old antique furniture looks great in the house, having never lived in a terrace I would advise against buying one again.

Worst thing about a terrace is it feels like I'm living with other people. The walls are paper thin and we can hear everything, from low level talking to the kids running upstairs next door. Paranoid to talk in my own house in case the neighbors can hear what I'm saying. The narrow kitchen and stairwell can feel claustrophobic as well. Parking is a pain in the arse as well.

Would never live in a terrace again despite how much character they have.

What's the experience of living in a terrace been for people?

Associate
OP
Forgot I started this thread. Can happily report I have since sold the terraced house and now live in a semi detached built in the 70's. Have good neighbors, the walls are solid with cavity walls and insulation between myself and the adjoining wall. Can hear minimal noise, sometimes can hear next doors TV but it's muffled and doesn't feel like I'm watching it with them like it did in the terrace.

In the terrace house always felt I had to watch what I say as the neighbours could hear every word, now I can relax and talk normally without fear of neighbours listening. Don't feel as 'squashed' in now like I did in the terrace. It has made such a massive difference to my mental well-being not being in the terrace house. Another thing with terraces is they are so DARK. Seem to struggle to let natural light in compared to detached or semi detached houses.

All you are ever told is 'they don't build them like they used too'....yeah that's true,.they build them better now.....the Victorian terrace was just a solid brick wall with no insulation or block work separating us and the neighbours...the new builds have to have 'robust detail' specs which is the minimum sound barrier between neighbouring walls. In between the brick work or the stud wall, have to have solid block work as well as sound proof insulation between the walls.

So from my personal experience DON'T BUY a Victorian terrace....yeah they look pretty inside, yeah they have character but they are a nightmare to live in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom