Living next door to ******?

Soldato
So, hear's the question.

In all seriousness. Would you risk buying a house that is (More or less) opposite a modest (But with the potential for expansion) Traveler site (SCC Council managed)

As far as I can see, there have been no obvious problems associated with the site crime/Anti-social behaviour wise.

According to the local crime site, a handful of shoplifting arrests actually on the site over the last year or so but nothing more than that and no crimes reported by the immediate neighbors where I might be buying (But since Police generally totally ignore criminal activity by Travelers, perhaps one shouldn't read too much into that :p)

Personally, and in principle, I dont really think a small site (6 pitches or so on a council managed site) should be too much of a problem.. Not least because I suspect that, whatever they do elsewhere, Travelers living on an official site would be inclined to try quite hard not to upset their immediate neighbors.

(Indeed, if not in Blood, certainly in lifestyle, I am inclined to be a bit ***** myself, so having neighbors that are less likley to become ****** off by me and my activities might well be a win :D )

However, it might make the house hard to sell in the future should I wish to, especially if the site is expanded.

So, what would OCUK do?

Soldato
OP
As a matter of interest.

I did actually do a walk around this afternoon.

I have to say that the traveler site does actually look uncommonly nice. I really dont think the residents there would be any problem really. They are clearly the rather more up-market ****** really and would probabally want to keep it that way. :p

However, that is no guarantee for the future (Especially if the site is expanded) and also, even with the current residents there are apparently not infrequent police incidences (Yes 2/3 incidents/year from an estate with only 6 homes is pretty frequent really) Even if it is only categorized as "Shoplifting" and is rather worrying!

:(

As for...

I'd rather not judge a huge number of people no the actions of a few, no.

Well, the problem is, it isn't just the few is it.

If you have <Insert identifiable demographic> of whom only 2-3% end up doing time at some point in their lives for being nasty violent anti-social turds.

Then yes, it would be rather unfair to tar all of them with the same brush (as it were)

If that figure is more like 30-40% then the situation surely changes somewhat.

(See also attitudes towards Black people, and particularly in the US)

In my experience, 2/3 (Even more) of travelers are just fine.

They are mostly a group of people who have a long standing culture of living a lifestyle that has become increasingly difficult in recent decades owing to population growth, increasing beurocrecy by government and structural changes in the demand for casual labour.

However there is a high enough percentage of them that are total turds and mean that they all, as a group, end up suffering distrust and even outright hate as a consequence.

As someone who prefers to "Plow my own furrow" in life rather than toe the conventional line. I do have a huge sympathy with the basic feeling that travelers have. (And, indeed, I have always got on very well with the ones that I have known personally)

But, at the same time, that doesn't mean that I should not be concerned as to the long term risks associated with placing myself into a property that is right next door tho a large group of them.

:confused:

Soldato
OP
Interested that nobody yet has made the connection intended in my OP title with Kevin Bloody Wilson! :D

Hey, ho.

I suppose it will only mean anything to those of, erm, a certain generation!

:p :cool:

Soldato
OP
I thought we'd never sell our house due to its location (edge of a rough estate) but was bought to turn into a rental. I guess it goes to show that you can sell anything to the right people but better to not take the risk in the first place.

The people who bought it are not living there and the people who are living there (Probably) have no real long term commitment to really make it their home and will move away as soon as something better comes along.

Soldato
OP
Thankfully the question is moot.

I viewed the house today and it is a dump. "Fixer upper" doesn't even come close really. More a demolishing and rebuild really (Not something I wish to get involved in for now). The proximity of a Travelers site is a minor issue by comparison.

Even the agent seemed nervous about it trying to emphasise that they are not trying to hide anything.

I have seen (Much) better houses in better neighborhoods that went for £30,000 less than the vendor is asking for.

Frankly, The correct response to the current "Offers over" asking price is to roll around on the floor laughing hysterically until the Men in white coats come to take me away (Even without having to consider the travelers for neighbors issue)

You really had to see it to believe it. :eek:

I took a GF with me and afterwards I suggested that perhaps I should show willing and make an offer at 2/3 asking price. But she pointed out that perhaps I shouldn't do this because I might just end up winning it and then what would I do? :p

Actually, at that price it wouldn't be a bad deal and I would be able to deal with its issues. But the traveler camp issue is a major concern so I dont think I will be making an offer even at that price.

Its rather sad really because the current site residents (By all accounts) seem the decent sort (At the very least the "Pitches" dont have caravans on them. They have really rather nice "Mobile Homes")

The problem is you never know what is going to happen in the future especially if there is the possibility of the site being expanded. It is not a risk I would be willing to take.

Anyway, Thanks for comments.

:)

Back
Top Bottom